Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help repairing Singer Model 15 Electric Sewing Machine

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Hello folks,

A friend asked me to try to fix an old sewing machine she found. Checking the serial number, I've determined it's a 1949 Singer model 15. It has an electric light mounted on the back and a pedal, but the two-wire pedal cord is disconnected. My question is, where do I connect this cord to, and is there any way to tell what polarity it should be connected as?

The pictures:
IMG_9338.JPG

The logo plate and serial number, in case that helps identify anything further.
IMG_9339.JPG

IMG_9340.JPG

The light works, but the switch contact isn't perfect.
IMG_9341.JPG

The back of this machine. Does anyone know where the wires leading to the foot pedal go?
IMG_9346.JPG

A shot of the motor with the cover removed. I could find no intuitive place to connect the pedal wires.
IMG_7050.JPG

So if anyone knows where to connect the pedal, or any guesses on the machine's value, my friends and I would all greatly appreciate it. Thanks all!

PoohBang

Suspended
Looks like a 15-91 to me. The one I have takes two sets of wires for it to work as apposed to my 201 which takes one.

the loose wire you would run to the actual wall outlet, the one going down the hole would go to the pedal. Just looking at the photos that is what it looks like to me.

those wires do not go to the motor it's already wired inside the case.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
I apologize, I realize I was a bit unclear what wires go where.

The wall plug is connected and works fine. The lamp is also connected properly. The pedal has a two-wire cable connected to it, but the end of this same cable that should connect to the machine is disconnected. I can't tell where on the machine the two wires running to the pedal should go. They were just laying loose. I threaded them up through the hole in the machine's table, figuring that was the logical thing to do. Now I just need to know where they go.
IMG_9346.JPG

There is a single screw just above the place where the wall outlet cord plugs into the machine. (The wall cord machine-side connector is a wide three-prong plug that goes into the side of the machine, shown on the left below.)
IMG_7050.JPG

If there was a second screw there, I might test that solution with my volt meter, but one screw terminal won't complete a circuit. I'm pretty much out of ideas, so if anyone knows for sure where the machine side of the pedal cord connects, I'll be very thankful to learn!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass