Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! What boots are these?? I need some

Doug C

Practically Family
Well I know these are not WWII boots but I figured this was the best place for this thread. I've never seen these boots before, anyone know what they're called and where I can find a pair in 10.5 ?

Doug C

AeroDillo

Familiar Face
If I didn't know better, I'd say you have a set of Viet Nam-era jungle boots that have been cut down to a lower-quarter shoe.

Doug C

Practically Family
Aw, that's interesting guys, thanks. And by "renegade" you just mean that this was done by an individual against regulations or perhaps it's a group or style? I suppose it would be easy enough to have a shoe repair place perform this operation on a pair of these boots ? Should I just search for vietnam era "boonies"?

Doug C

uniballer63

New in Town
There just Jungle boots in olive drab. do a search for those, they should be easy to find. then just cut the upper canvas off. Don't buy the cheap $30 imported ones, I had a pair that lasted one week before the soles fell off. Altima makes them brand new in black and green. Ive had both. The only difference between the actual Vietnam era ones and the new altima ones is the sole bottoms are a different pattern. I believe altima wants around 60 bucks for a pair. Not bad, Ive had mine for 10 years issued to me in the marines and they still look great.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep, definintely jungle boots. I own an actual used pair from a Vietnam vet. I think you can still find them on eBay now and then. It's sorta hard to find used pairs because, from what I've been told, the canvas used to rot after being constantly wet.

And 10.5? Man, no problem. At least you're not looking for size 14's.

uniballer63

New in Town
lol a surplus store Ive visited sinse I was a kid, 2 years ago had racks and racks of un issued vietnam era jungle boots in pristine condition. for 20 bucks each! only problem was that they were sizes 7 and below and 13 and up. hahaha

renor27

One of the Regulars
Kind of neat

Would make agreat boot for ghost towning with shorts.
Would be interested in knowing how the project turns out might like to get A pair made in a 13
David

Doug C

Practically Family
Would make agreat boot for ghost towning with shorts.

I'm not sure what "ghost towning" is but yes I was also thinking these would go good with shorts too. I will definately be on the look out for a pair to have converted (these were too big for me :( ). Will post a picture or two once their done. Thanks for the info guys.

Doug C

Story

I'll Lock Up
Doug C said:
Aw, that's interesting guys, thanks. And by "renegade" you just mean that this was done by an individual against regulations or perhaps it's a group or style? I suppose it would be easy enough to have a shoe repair place perform this operation on a pair of these boots ? Should I just search for vietnam era "boonies"?

Doug C

I suspect they were cobbled down by local talent (either in Vietnam or back here) - check outside of any military base, there's all sorts of folks with the requisite skills.

A popular Cold War trick was to have a wet weather parka lined with a G.I. blanket (the rubber material retained moisture and would soak your uniform with your own sweat/perspiration, while preventing you from being soaked with rain/percipitation).

PS - the dates are printed on US issue boots. I got two pairs for an early O.E.F. deployment, mine were made in the mid-80s.

Doug C

Practically Family
Sizing of Vietnam Jungle Boots ?

Ok, I'm going to get a pair of these boots and was wondering were they sized up like earlier combat boots (WWII, etc.) For instance if I normally take a 10.5 in other shoes - should I be looking for a 10 or maybe 9.5 ? Anyone know? Thanks.

Doug C

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Story said:
I

A popular Cold War trick was to have a wet weather parka lined with a G.I. blanket (the rubber material retained moisture and would soak your uniform with your own sweat/perspiration, while preventing you from being soaked with rain/percipitation).

QUOTE]

So it acts like an old fashioned water bottle right - like a scuba suit - a light jacket of body warmed water?

Please advise...

skbellis

One of the Regulars
had some made

Hello! I saw this thread some time ago and went out and had a pair of these boots made. However I lost this thread and only recently found it.

I went to a surplus store, bought a decent paid of jungle boots. Then went to a cobbler I knew and showed her the photo pictured here and asked her to cut them down. From what I can tell they look just like the photo. The only issue I have with them is that they are tricky to put on. Maybe adding tabs on the front and back like Blundstones have would make life easier. Part of the problem is the way that tongue is attached, not sure if there is a practical way to seperate them more like hi tops or not. I'll post photos soon.

In all honesty I still prefer french jungle boots from the 1950's.

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy