Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hambone71

Practically Family
Pork Pie it is... thanks for the info, folks.

I guess in my mind I thought a pork pie was something different, without the ridged crown and a much shorter brim (kind of like Popeye Doyle's), but I'm happy to be corrected. :)

Rob View attachment 531935
Don't forget about Walter White, AKA Heisenberg.
Screenshot_20230712-184249_kindlephoto-763381955.png

milandro

A-List Customer
Yeah, I'm really looking for a hat like Franciscus wears; most of the pork pies I'm seeing for sale are stingy brims of about 1.5" inches, but I want something that I can snap like his but still have that crown profile.

I guess I could always reshape a 50s fedora with a 2 to 2.5" brim, if I can find one for my huge 24.5" gob, lol.

Rob
Than you can probably make your own " Pork Pie Hat" following the advise and directions of one of the most important wearers of such hat, the player Lester Young whom made his own by using a " normal hat" ( probably an Homburg) and working it like this (I have published this a few days ago in another thread)

1689233812598.png

1689233776764.png

Than you can probably make your own " Pork Pie Hat" following the advise and directions of one of the most important wearers of such hat, the player Lester Young whom made his own by using a " normal hat" ( probably an Homburg) and working it like this (I have published this a few days ago in another thread)

View attachment 532167

View attachment 532166
He will still have the issue of finding an inexpensive vintage hat in his large size.

milandro

A-List Customer
well, I am not sure why it would need to be inexpensive, but the base hat which Lester Young appeared to be giving his " Pork Pie" treatment , I think, is a Homburg, which is probably a type of hat that isn't much in demand " as is ", yet the brim seem to be larger than most homburgs but the rest looks like it was one.

I have got a Tonak Homburg size 61 (so not far off that circumference) which I didn't pay too much for. Of course one has to be patient and on the look-out but the fun in these things is the chase. I am sure that one can do this with other hats even if not an Homburg.

Last edited:
well, I am not sure why it would need to be inexpensive, but the base hat which Lester Young appeared to be giving his " Pork Pie" treatment , I think, is a Homburg, which is probably a type of hat that isn't much in demand " as is ", yet the brim seem to be larger than most homburgs but the rest looks like it was one.

I have got a Tonak Homburg size 61 (so not far off that circumference) which I didn't pay too much for. Of course one has to be patient and on the look-out but the fun in these things is the chase. I am sure that one can do this with other hats even if not an Homburg.
He definitely will not get the look he is after with a Homburg. It is pretty difficult to get a Homburg brim to snap down and replicate the look that he is seeking. Not everyone has the patience for the hunt and at his size it def will require patience.

He might be better off biting the bullet and going custom to get exactly what he wants.

If cost is not an impediment then going custom is the way. A top quality custom rabbit felt hat can be had for $250.

He definitely will not get the look he is after with a Homburg. It is pretty difficult to get a Homburg brim to snap down and replicate the look that he is seeking. Not everyone has the patience for the hunt and at his size it def will require patience.

He might be better off biting the bullet and going custom to get exactly what he wants.

I would suggest he find a decent old hat with good bones (and brim width) and send it to you. I would imagine upsizing and sacrificing some brim, you could give him what he's looking for pretty handily.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 532167

View attachment 532166
Slickest way i ever saw a pork pie or telescope hat creased.

A guy somewhere took a felt hat, wetted or probable wet, put it on a block, opened the crown, flipped the hat over and gently pushed it back down a few inches on the top of the block into a “dish” shape of whatever depth.
He then flipped the hat over and used the block the third time gently pushed it down on the block thus folding the “dish” back up onto itself. Wella, pork pie or telescope easy peasy!
Slick and perfect in a couple of mins.
B

A guy somewhere took a felt hat, wetted or probable wet, put it on a block, opened the crown, flipped the hat over and gently pushed it back down a few inches on the top of the block into a “dish” shape of whatever depth.
He then flipped the hat over and used the block the third time gently pushed it down on the block thus folding the “dish” back up onto itself. Wella, pork pie or telescope easy peasy!
B
Yes, this is the way that I make the telescope crown. I use the same size block to push the crown in and then a smaller one (a few sizes down) to push the centre back up. The part that takes me the most time is getting a sharp, even crease on the outside edge of the crown.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

B

This is somewhere on the JJ Hat Center Instagram. If somebody hit the right search terms, they could probably find where I've linked it before on here.

hambone71

Practically Family
I know a little about hat styles, but this particular one alludes me: The hat worn by actor James Franciscus' character 'Jimmy Halloran' in Season One of the 1958-59 television series, "The Naked City".

I've attached a few photos and screen shots showing various views, including a top view.

Can anyone tell me a definite name of the style, and who might be selling a version today?

View attachment 531895
View attachment 531896
View attachment 531897 View attachment 531900 View attachment 531901 View attachment 531902 View attachment 531903

Thanks in advance!

Rob
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2663303396...njvYKfEQZ2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPYCOPY

Not a pork pie, technically, but very similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran