Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NorthernBloke

Familiar Face
Hi guys, does anyone know what kind of fedora this is? i don't think it will be that old, just bought it for £20.
1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I know a little about hat styles, but this particular one alludes me: The hat worn by actor James Franciscus' character 'Jimmy Halloran' in Season One of the 1958-59 television series, "The Naked City".

I've attached a few photos and screen shots showing various views, including a top view.

Can anyone tell me a definite name of the style, and who might be selling a version today?

View attachment 531895
View attachment 531896
View attachment 531897 View attachment 531900 View attachment 531901 View attachment 531902 View attachment 531903

Thanks in advance!

Rob
Cool hat in a Sinatra kind of Pork Pie style. Looks like it had a nice pug type ribbon, too.

NorthernBloke

Familiar Face
I am not sure what info you are seeking. It is an inexpensive wool hat with a standard fedora shape. Made at least in the USA and not china. For $20 wear the hell out of it and enjoy.
Sorry, i guess it was a bit of a vague question, I'm more a flat cap wearer so don't know much about fedoras, thanks for the answer.

Wednesdayschild

New in Town
To upcycle or Not? Vintage Stetson Flint in Smoke Grey with box, has some moth nibble marks and subtle age spots. I planned to change the shape and color but would appreciate some input as to whether I should just sell it “as is” or move ahead with redesigning it.
Thoughts anyone?
IMG_9626.jpeg

To upcycle or Not? Vintage Stetson Flint in Smoke Grey with box, has some moth nibble marks and subtle age spots. I planned to change the shape and color but would appreciate some input as to whether I should just sell it “as is” or move ahead with redesigning it.
Thoughts anyone?
View attachment 532481
I am not a western guy so not knowledgable about this particular hat's provenance/value. But as a hat maker/restorer I say have some fun with it. As long as $$$ is not the issue then work it, learn from it and hopefully sell it and get some money in return to do it all over again.
I love to experiment with dyeing hat felts if you want to start a discussion on that shoot me a PM.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
They were all the rage for a while, but I can’t remember when.

They look just a silly today as they did then.
Not your style or choice of hat, perhaps. I can appreciate that. But please, "silly"? Come on.

Not everyone could pull off the hat you wear in your avatar. You wear it well. I would never call it silly.

It's called respect.

Thoughts anyone?

View attachment 532481

Many here would classify this as used but not vintage. You aren’t “ruining” a classic or true vintage hat so I say have at modifying it. If you’ve spent much time around here you’ll know there is a significant contingency who despise artificially distressed hats, particularly those done with a heavy hand. Same with hats that are busy with adornments and multiple hat bands. That said, I’d make it my own and not worry about other’s sensibilities. Depending on the size, make, and quality, you probably won’t make much seeking it so why not modify it?

Hi guys, does anyone know what kind of fedora this is? i don't think it will be that old, just bought it for £20.
View attachment 532444
View attachment 532446
View attachment 532445

Hard to go wrong at the price. It’s not the type of hat that gets our hearts pounding, but it’s a classic shape and should be easy to wear. Wool hats are not given a lot of love here, but there’s nothing wrong with it and if you wear it out then you could consider an upgrade. If it fits, post some photos of you wearing it.

Brent

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for all of the tips, videos, links, advice and opinions about the "Naked City" Franciscus hat, folks; the consensus is that it seems it's 'kinda like' a pork pie, but in the late 50's-early 60's Sinatra sort of style as was mentioned earlier.

I've had some experience in reshaping my Indiana Jones fedoras (and other hats) in the past, so I guess I'll stay on the search for a larger-sized, snap-brim fedora specimen with the characteristics that lend themselves to this style of modifications.

I'll be sure to post it in the forums, once I find what I'm looking for.

Hello,
Not sure if this has been discussed before
A few weeks ago, I saw the tv show 1923. I fell in love with Brandon Sklenar's hat.
Can you help me identify it or point me to a similar looking hat.

View attachment 535992 View attachment 535993 View attachment 535994
In the TV and movie industry they have a separate department within wardrobe named "breakdown". Their job is to age, distress the actor's wardrobe to suit the character or the scene. This hat is a run of the mill western hat that has been distressed by the Breakdown Department. You could commission a custom hatter to make it for you if you have the funds or you could pick up a used western hat in your size and distress it yourself.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Yes, but what specific model is it before being distressed or are there any that look similar to your knowledge ?
It makes me think of an Akubra, but I'm not sure

Yes, but what specific model is it before being distressed or are there any that look similar to your knowledge ?

How do you know it wasn’t a custom to begin with? I personally don’t see anything that makes me think Akubra, but it could be or it could be one of many brands. Unless there is inside knowledge, or a clear shot of the inside of the hat, I can’t see how anyone can say what make or model it is. The same hats shaped differently can look vastly different.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

As a general rule, it's not very easy to identify a specific model, especially when you are asking a vintage hat forum about what looks to be a very modern hat. The identifiers would be any brand logos and any dimensions. Well, hat is on his head, can't see any manufacturer markings. We can guess dimensions but those are guesses.

So how do you think we would be able to identify it?

Also, Google is your friend:
https://variety.com/2023/artisans/awards/yellowstone-1923-cowboy-hats-1235631382/
Working closely with a local Montana hat maker named Bear, Bryant and her “1923” costume department produced a wide variety of cowboy hats for the series. “I feel blessed that we found Bear,” she says. “We shot in a small town, and Bear would bring his camper to the studio and just make hats for us all day long, with different colors, different hat blocks, and different felts. He made hundreds of hats for us.”

ETA: don't think Bear has a website...but he also apparently dabbles in searching for Bigfoot: https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-lifestyle/a-man-of-many-hats/

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Well sorry, i thought you perfectly knew the hat world and the manufacturer's offering.
For instance, I thought that it had become common knowledge that anyone willing to have something close to Indiana Jones' hat had to turn to the Akubra Federa IV Deluxe OC.
Here the hat looks close to an Akubra Cattleman but I thought some fine eyes could point me to something even closer

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well sorry, i thought you perfectly knew the hat world and the manufacturer's offering.
For instance, I thought that it had become common knowledge that anyone willing to have something close to Indiana Jones' hat had to turn to the Akubra Federa IV Deluxe OC.
Here the hat looks close to an Akubra Cattleman but I thought some fine eyes could point me to something even closer

I'm not sure if that first sentence is supposed to be sarcastic or not. But most hat model names of the past are just lost to history. Exceedingly few hats hat their model name somewhere on the sweatband.

So really, we are just guessing a lot of the time. Some guesses are more educated than others. But when it comes to modern hats, no, this is not necessarily the place to find experts on the offerings of current manufacturers.

The Indy hat is well known in some part because TFL grew out of Indy hat circles. It's also been well researched and we don't need to guess at the maker, because that was known. Hats Direct also basically says the Fed is an Indy hat, so it's not a hard puzzle to crack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran