Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Ginger-hair do!

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Ok, so I love love loooove this hairstyle Ginger is sporting:

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Ginger-Rogers-Posters_i2621467_.htm

Here is my question: I know there are finger waves on the top and pin curls on the bottom, but I am a little confused with these hairstyles: what came first, the chicken or the egg, or in this case, the wave or the curl? [huh]

Would you sculpt the wave first, set that with clips or whatever, and then do the pin curls?

Also, what kind of pin curl layout that would that be? I get very confused about clockwise, counter clockwise, etc, it is hard for me to tell from a picture of finished hair. I like the how-to diagrams. Anyone have a secret to figuring that out? Or would I do better with sponge rollers for this look?

Also, if I have shoulder or a little above shoulder length hair, can I still get a similar look?

Thanks for any input ladies!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I don;t know about the layout of the pincurls, but when I set my hair I always do the fingerwaves on top first, then pincurl around my head.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Here it is:
2F4ED00Z.jpg

I'd think medium size rollers on top and then brush into a wave. Then smaller ones around the sides and back. You may just have to get in there and experiment!

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the help ladies!

Actually, I had seen that tutorial online, got all excited, and then realized that I was a little too dumb at vintage hairstyling still to figure out that tutorial! lol

I had tons of questions, like how she did her roller set, and how long her hair is to begin with....I guess I should just ask her, because her hair turned out lovely!

Mary

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I've done a similar wave with curlers up top like Texas Girl recommended. It's certainly easier if you haven't done finger waves before. But I find the waves that I get with curlers are much sharper and have higher ridges. Although I guess it depends what size curlers you use...I'll certainly have to experiment with that. If you are looking for something softer like what Ginger is sporting you might have to do finger waves like Amy Jeanne.

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
I would say you would want the sides and back set in pin curls or a very small roller to really get that curl fluff. Looking at it, I would say the pin curls are set in strong horizontal rows (so they kind of pile up on top of each other) wound in the same direction and not brushed out too much.

I like the idea of using the hair combs to get that top wave that Lolita Haze did. I would be inclined to set the top in pin curls with the rows running from front to back in alternating directions. Then comb the pin curl set into waves.

Do you have Lauren Rennels book? :) If you don't why not? The intro sections are worth the price of admission all by themselves.

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
kymeratale said:
I would say you would want the sides and back set in pin curls or a very small roller to really get that curl fluff. Looking at it, I would say the pin curls are set in strong horizontal rows (so they kind of pile up on top of each other) wound in the same direction and not brushed out too much.

I like the idea of using the hair combs to get that top wave that Lolita Haze did. I would be inclined to set the top in pin curls with the rows running from front to back in alternating directions. Then comb the pin curl set into waves.

Do you have Lauren Rennels book? :) If you don't why not? The intro sections are worth the price of admission all by themselves.

Thanks for the advice, that is really helpful! Well, actually I do have the Lauren Rennells book, which I love, but sometimes I feel that some of the hairstyles aren't totally authentic. It is more like vintage flair, but that is just my opinion. I would have liked to have seen a 40's pincurl brush out in the book, besides at the beginning when she does the tutorial. (Which is very helpful by the way!) I wish that the hairstyles in the book showed styles with the brush out. It feels like all the curls are too "intact" for the 40's feel, but I am new at this so....[huh]
The closest style in the book to the Ginger hair would probably be the Pin Up hair on page 94...but for some reason there is something more modern about it to me...and I cannot put my finger on it!!

Antje

One Too Many
When you studie and practice the brush out section, then you will be able to make a lot of vintage styles without using the book.
In the past was every hairstlyle achieved with pincurls, it is only the placement,
I think maybe when you try the vertical pincurls you could make a hairstyle similar to the picture, or maybe the bang wave tutorial

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy