Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Houndstooth?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If you care to check his posting log you'll see steady activity through to this very day.

BTW, why post this query in this particular thread?[huh]

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
I am a bit late to this thread, but with that jacket, I would wear gray trousers, a solid colored shirt and knit or grenadine tie
(probably in burgandy) or if a striped tie one with wide stripes. There are, of course, a lot of other combinations that would look fine.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Gray or black trousers, solid tie in black or red, works with your black shoes. I'd be leery of striped ties, honestly, but seeing is believing, so post pics if you find a look you like.

I liked the pic with the herringbone cap. Very good-looking, sir, I must say.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Thank you Jim and Viola. I think I'm going to stick with that dark red knit tie. Would a light blue shirt work with this? I'm trying to think of shirt colors other than white/off white.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Soft gray might be kinder than blue, and possibly some stone/khaki neutrals might work as well. That's barely more exciting than off-white, I know, but that kind of pattern doesn't need a lot of competition.

A toast colour could be warm without being too much.

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
I would wear a light blue shirt with just about anything I would wear a white shirt with. Unless one is attending a funeral or some very dressy occasion I think a light blue shirt is fine.

I have them in Oxford, chambray, pinpoint, and end-on-end and they are the shirts I wear the most.

I also wear Oxford shirts in Pink which I wear with blazers, gray flannel, khaki, and a black and white jacket.

A Yellow shirt might work, but I think they look best on people with a dark complexion and tend to wash out those of us with light colored skin.

I think Ecru can work well with black.

I have never owned a Gray shirt. Some men wear Lilac shirts but I am happy to leave that color to the ladies if they care for it.

As to stripes, I think the two colored stripes would work fine. Navy and Burgundy in what is often called 'college stripes' or Brooks Brothers #3 (I think it is) with one wide and one narrow stripe should look good with black, cream, and gray. Actually, most of the color combinations that those two types of striped ties come in, I would wear - and do.

Ties of the type I described can be found at reasonable prices at some web sites.

Enjoy your new jacket - it is a nice one.

Cheers, Jim.

tjoek

New in Town
It's a beautiful jacket.
In my view, flannel trousers with solid light blue shirt and soft coloured tie would be a good combination.

Edward

Bartender
I really like the knit tie with it. I've not seen a houndstooth in that particular colour mix before - any idea of its date? The pattern and colouring has a vaguely 50s look to my (wildly inexpert) eye, but the lapels being broader suggests 70s to me?

What weight of a jacket is it? Looks like wool to me, is it heavy, or more of a Summer weight? If it's light enough for wearing in the warm, I think it would look superb with a pair of white trosers, specs, and either a panama (boater, maybe, if you're feeling daring), or a lightish hued fedora. I lean to the view that a light grey fed will go with most things (a 2" or so brim 50s style would work with this, to my eye). I'd veer away from creamy or brown-toned neutral shades let they look like a near-miss attempted match rather than complementary. Definitely no patterns elsewhere, or there is a risk they will clash with the jacket. Nice find.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I'm no dating expert, but it does have a union tag which I can get a picture of. It's labled as 100% cashmere, so I guess that classifies it as wool. As for weight, I'm in the dark there as well. I can tell you that it would be uncomfortable to wear in warmer weather.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Department store tag?
IMG_1888.jpg

Union tag
IMG_1889.jpg

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
KeyGrip, I really like the burgundy knit tie with your jacket. Consider tying it with a larger knot to balance the wider lapels.

Also, remember that the pocket square is another aspect of your look that you can experiment with. Try a navy pocket square with the burgundy tie, or a burgundy pocket square with your blue tie.

This is my lightweight black/cream, wool/silk houndstooth. I've found it works best with very light putty-gray poplin trousers, rather than the light khaki shown in the pic.
Htooth21.jpg

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Baron, HELP!

KeyGrip said:
Union tag
IMG_1889.jpg

Feraud said:
Is that the 49-68 tag?

BK, we need a little help here.

That is indeed what the Baron would say is a 1949-68 tag, at least I think it is, but the Baron's posting here has lost its pics.

On the other hand, this site would identify it as a 1962-1976 tag and one produced late in this period, because the numbering is in black instead of red.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80