Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Modern equivalent to 1950's Sports Coat design

Allenworsham

New in Town
Being a larger guy at 6' 200 lbs with 40" pants, finding vintage clothing is very difficult and very expensive. I am not a "Suit Guy" as I have always preferred to go with a Sports Coat that I can wear with multiple outfits as it makes my limited wardrobe go a lot further and can work in both more formal and casual situations. My problem is that I am a bit stuck on what specific things I need to look for in getting a 1950's era design of Sports Coat that will fit in the mix. I have done a bit of Google-ing and see a wide range of images of designs and fabrics that are all over the map that say they are "1950's Design". Some are more conservative but others are pretty wild. So what I want to get is some more specific "Guide Lines" to what makes a 1950's style conservative Sports Coat as to cut, width/length of lapels, number of buttons, pocket designs, etc. as well as any "Don't Haves" on a 1950's style conservative Sports Coat that would make it period incorrect. The pants I wear are mostly charcoal grey and light to medium brown or taupe. I have belts, suspenders, ties, socks and shoes that fit to the 1950's era, so getting the Sports Coat design narrowed down is the last major hurdle.

If you have any photos it would be very helpful for me.

Thanks.

Allenworsham

New in Town
Thank you for the offer.

My chest circumference is 46" at nipple.
From shoulder to shoulder across the front is 23"
I wear a size 48/50 regular to long depending on the make/manufacturer.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Hello again. I may have one that will fit. My chest used to be about 47 (before I lost weight) and it was a good fit. Late 1940s early 1950s hopsack in a brownish burgundy.Its a loose fitting late forties/early fifties jacket.

I think you will need to have 15 posts before you can use the private message system. As soon as you do, send me a message. I also have some grey trousers from the same period that might be good.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I know you aren't really looking for a suit but I've also got a fifties double breasted navy blue pinstripe suit that would probably be a perfect fit!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Broadly speaking there were two stylistic influences in the 1950s: the post WW2 Bold Look (until around 1953) and the continental look (from the mid 50s onwards). Which style are you looking for?

The Bold Look would feature wide lapels (around 4") with a low gorge, a low button stance, padded shoulders and a loose fit. The continental style would have a higher button stance, slimer lapels (2 1/2" to 3") and be more fitted (though not tight fitting by modern standards). With either style two or three buttons would be acceptable, with rolled lapels probably being more common.

Allenworsham

New in Town
Hello again. I may have one that will fit. My chest used to be about 47 (before I lost weight) and it was a good fit. Late 1940s early 1950s hopsack in a brownish burgundy.Its a loose fitting late forties/early fifties jacket.

I think you will need to have 15 posts before you can use the private message system. As soon as you do, send me a message. I also have some grey trousers from the same period that might be good.

I sent you a PM and it appears to have gone through just fine.

Allenworsham

New in Town
Broadly speaking there were two stylistic influences in the 1950s: the post WW2 Bold Look (until around 1953) and the continental look (from the mid 50s onwards). Which style are you looking for?

The Bold Look would feature wide lapels (around 4") with a low gorge, a low button stance, padded shoulders and a loose fit. The continental style would have a higher button stance, slimer lapels (2 1/2" to 3") and be more fitted (though not tight fitting by modern standards). With either style two or three buttons would be acceptable, with rolled lapels probably being more common.

I lean more towards the more conservative line of the mid 50's style. I already have a modern darker blue patterned sports coat in my closet that has lapels about 2.5"-3" wide, but it is obviously not vintage by the cut of it.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Whilst there are differences the cut of some modern jackets isn't too different from the mid 50s style. Take the North by Northwest suit for example (the cut could be used for a sports jacket as well as a suit jacket):
CaryGrantSuit2.jpg

Flecked or checkered cloth in blue, grey, brown or black (or a combination of those) will work best to evoke a 50s style in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo