Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with new aero leather cordovan jacket

halberdklown

New in Town
I'm looking to buy my first aero leather jacket, but I'm unsure about which version of cordovan to choose, regular fqhh or the vintage fqhh. I have looked at aeros website as well as Mark's picturetrail and can honestly not tell the difference. Would anyone with experience please chime in, with detail pictures if possible as well. I know the vintage is more pliable but visually, I can't seem to see a difference. I asked for some leather samples but honestly, my impatient excitement has forced me to try and seek help here on my first ever post. Anything would be appreciated!

apba1166

A-List Customer
As I understand it, the vintage is the same basic hide as the regular FQHH, but then the hide gets tumbled and worked in a bit before being stitched into a jacket, so a tad softer from the get go. We've seen many pics of Aero FQHH in the forum, maybe someone was a vintage HH and can compare.

Last edited:

halberdklown

New in Town
Thanks a lot, hopefully someone has some pictures of the vintage cordovan, as I have yet to see that, let alone a worn progress picture of it.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Here is a quick shot of my cordovan samples (the vintage is on the left, the FQHH on the right). Hopefully this should give you an idea.

I especially like the FQHH. However, I regret to inform you that both of these samples transferred color when rubbed with a white cloth. That may translate to cordovan car seats, if you jacket is made out of the same batch.

Edward

Bartender
I have had a little transfer of dye from my cordovan bootlegger, limited to a bit on lighter trousers (bottom edge rubbing on my hips) and a bit on shirt collars. Nothing that didn't shift after a regular wash, though. Less likely if jacket is only worn to and from work as opposed to all day, and diminishing over time. Bit of an inconvenience, but nothing major.

halberdklown

New in Town
Philalethes, thanks a lot for that, looks like i will be going for the regular cordovan color! now to just figure out sizing. Would anyone have a recommendation for a size 46.5in chest? most of my jackets are around 23.5in pit to pit. I'm around 5'9" 209lbs (I'm a bit of a body builder)

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Just give them your measurements and tell them if you want a snug fit or if you want to layer some sweaters underneath. If you're a bodybuilder you need a custom jacket anyway. :)

ampgoesto11

New in Town
Choose another color/leather

My experience with Aero cordovan was not so good. It had a very strong chemical smell that never went away, and the color bled on my leather car seats. I sold the jacket. This may have been an anomoly, I admit.

halberdklown

New in Town
The jacket I was thinking of having made is one of their a-2's but what with the bottom ribbing and lining, would the fact that it doesnt really get in contact with any of my clothes underneath except maybe at the top most collar, that they will be protected from color bleeding on to them?

As for the car seats, I may have to live with covering them with something just taking it off while I drive, because that color is just too beautiful to pass up, and I wouldnt know where to get anything even remotely similar I'm color by another company. As for the smell, maybe Philalethes can chime I'm about whether the samples smelled the same...

Philalethes

A-List Customer
One thing to consider is that Vintage FQHH might experience slightly less colour transfer as it's been tumbled and softened.

When I press down with a cloth, both samples exhibit the same amount of color transfer. However, when I causally rub the samples with the cloth, Jan Solo is right, the vintage HH doesn't seem to transfer any color, whereas the FQHH does.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
The jacket I was thinking of having made is one of their a-2's but what with the bottom ribbing and lining, would the fact that it doesnt really get in contact with any of my clothes underneath except maybe at the top most collar, that they will be protected from color bleeding on to them?

I don't have an Aero A-2, but there might be contact at the front zipper, too.

As for the car seats, I may have to live with covering them with something just taking it off while I drive, because that color is just too beautiful to pass up, and I wouldnt know where to get anything even remotely similar I'm color by another company.

The color is quite nice. I think buying a car seat cover would be a great idea, at least to use for a while as you figure out whether your hide bleeds. And maybe it would be a good idea to wear darker shirts for a while. One possibility is that you could buff the jacket with a soft cloth to remove some of the surface color at the contact points, although that would also seem to take out some of the shine.

It seems like some people have no problems with color transfer, some people - like Edward - only have minimal problems, and some people - like ampgoesto11 - have big problems.

It is also possible that the samples I have are from earlier batch that won't be used for your jacket. If you want to double-check with Amanda, tell her a friend showed you his cordovan samples that were mailed out to him on 22 December, and you are wondering if those are from the same batch that your jacket will be made out of.

As for the smell, maybe Philalethes can chime I'm about whether the samples smelled the same...

Definitely no weird smell: they both smell only like leather. I know someone on this forum complained about a weird chemical smell coming from their FQHH, but this person bought the jacket second-hand, and there was speculation that the previous owner applied something to it. I don't remember if that was ampgoesto11.

Dav

One Too Many
Here's a pic of my cordovan samples after a fair amount of hand scrunching. Smooth on left vintage on right.
S1052643.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats