Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help!

starla

New in Town
Hi everyone, this certainly seems like the right place to post my question!
Anyway, I *just* (as in like three days ago) acquired "Souvenirs" by Django Reinhardt, Stephane Grappelli and the Quintette of the Hot Club of France. I ADORE it! But I don't know much about jazz at all...I've been looking at some of the threads already posted here and am pretty lost. Can you guys point me in the right direction to find more music like Django et al.? It's so breezy and cool - I love it!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Early music

If you want to get a broad spectrum of pre-1937 American Pop music, try Rich Conaty's show The Big Broadcast, every Sunday night from 8 till 12 EST, on www.wfuv.org. He has terrific stuff. You can Google the Hot Club of France. They're an interesting story. They started out as just a club that got together and listened to the latest jazz records from America. Only later did they put together a group, which became the Quintet of the Hot Club of France. They had American players, backed by some of the best European players of the time. First and foremost by far was Django. He's a story in himself. Again, you'll find that if you Google him.
There's SOOOOO much great early stuff out there! I'm so pleased to see another YOUNG person getting interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt