Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help!

Bartender13

New in Town
Im getting married friday and have no idea what we want to dance to as the first dance. She tells me whatever i want.. which is the worst thing to tell me!

I was thinking..

Love is here to stay- Frank Sinatra
the best love song i can think of..

I also like
beyond the sea- Royal Crown Revue

You know somthing classy with a little style..

Can you help with ideas?

Thanks.

John

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do you two have a song you consider "our song"? How about a favorite song of either of you? Favorite style of song? Make sure it's something the band can play, too, although it sounds like you're going with a DJ at the reception. Give it a little thought - take your time - it's Wednesday evening, so you have almost 48 hours to come up with something. ;)

The song you mentioned sound fine - Our Love is Hear to Stay is definitely appropriate. Night & Day might work (Cole Porter classic - "Night & day, you are the one, only you beneath the moon and under the sun..." - Sinatra & Ella Fitzgerald have excellent versions). Or just start with those two - Sinatra and Ella - hit iTunes or similar and listen to snippets of their various songs and see if anything leaps out at you, speaks to you.

Having been to a few weddings with some spectacularly bad choices of music, may I suggest you avoid, like the plague, the following:

• If Ever I Would Leave You (from Camelot)
  • Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover (oh yes...they did...with a schmaltzy female lounge act-type singer)
  • Lady Marmalade (aka Voulez Vous Couchez Avec Moi, Ce Soir)
  • The USC Trojan Fight Song (a cousin and his fiance actually did choose this...and the Trojan Band marched in playing it...)
  • Anything rap or punk
  • And I know as soon as I log off, ten more will immediately leap to mind...

Congratulations and best wishes, by the way!

B

BAZ

"The Best Is Yet To Come"_ Sinatra?
Ours was "Louie, Louie"........ long story!

$ally

One Too Many
Happy Together - Turtles
At Last - Etta James
Alright, OK, You Win - Count Basie

As Long As I Live
Lyrics by: Ted Koehler
Music by: Harold Arlen

"Maybe I can't live to love you as long as I want to.
Life isn't long enough baby, but I can love you as long as I live.
Maybe I can't give you diamonds and things like I want to,
But I can promise you, baby, I'm gonna want to as long as I live.
I never cared, but now I'm scared, I won't live long enough.
That's why I wear my rubbers when it rains and eat an apple every day then see the doctor anyway.
What if I can't live to love you as long as I want to.
Long as I promise you, baby, I'm gonna love you as long I live.
I'll even wear long underwear, when winter breezes blow
I'm gonna take good care of me because, a sneeze or two might mean the flu,
And that would never never do
What if I can't live to love you as long as I want to.
Long as I promise you, baby, I'm gonna love you as long I live."

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
NOT Paradise By The Dashboard Light, by Meatloaf!!!

My wife and I danced to I Could Write a Book by Harry Connick, from the Harry Met Sally Soundtrack.

Best Wishes,

RC

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
"Solid as a Rock" sung by Ella Fitzgerald. A very dance-able song whose lyrics include the line, "May I suggest a license and a ring?"

Josh B.

New in Town
I've got to say, Paisley's right, go with Ella-- she's got the voice that's perfect to frame a couple dancing slowly.
Although I would suggest "The Nearness of You"-- it's a little slower, more decorous, and more sentimental.

And congratulations on your upcoming nuptial bliss BT13!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The songs listed here are wonderful. "The Nearness of You" is one of my favorites. But, having danced for almost six years, I think many songs suggested are too slow to dance to. "Beyond the Sea" has a good tempo; so does "You're the Boss," "Alright, OK, You Win" and "The Best is Yet to Come." May I also suggest "More" by Bobby Darin.

Edward

Bartender
Heh. I know at least two couples who avoided having an evening do after the dinner, in large part because they didn't want to be pressured into the 'first dance' tradition. The phrase "performing monkey" was used by one of the guys. lol 'Beyond the Sea' is a longtime favourite of mine - classy, not schmaltzy.

I think the worst I've ever seen was the couple who did (in screen-accurate costume...) the full 'Dirty dancing' dance. But hey, they were happy so who am I to question! ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A few more suggestions (though not necessarily for the first song):

"Lullaby of Birdland" by Sarah Vaughan
"A Wink and a Smile" by Harry Connick Jr (I think)
"Dancing Cheek to Cheek" by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong
"Sway" (standard)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
I think the worst I've ever seen was the couple who did (in screen-accurate costume...) the full 'Dirty dancing' dance. But hey, they were happy so who am I to question! ;)

Nobody asked me, but I'll make another suggestion anyway. For a wedding dance, don't do moves that aren't ready for prime time. Everyone is watching, someone is probably taping. If you're a beginner dancer, do a few simple moves well. Remember all those "funniest home videos" where the bridal couple attempts a dip and ends up falling down?

And check out my thread on learning to dance!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I love Lets Face The music And Dance for a first song. I can't explain why as I think most people wouldn't think it a wedding song but I love the message.

Also I'm Putting All My Eggs In One Basket or The Best Is Yet To Come (mabye a little cliche but I love it).

I've always joked that my first dance would be "I'll Be Hard To Handle" or "I Might Fall Back on You".

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Two last-minute suggestions:

"Blue Skies." A couple of my favorite versions are by Benny Goodman and Ella Fitzgerald.

"Moten Swing." I think the '58 version by Count Basie is the best. No lyrics, but as classy as it gets.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bartender13 said:
Im getting married friday and have no idea what we want to dance to as the first dance. She tells me whatever i want.. which is the worst thing to tell me!

So now that the big event is over, I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting to hear what you selected and how everything went (wonderfully well, I hope) and to say "Pics! Where are the pics?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran