Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hemingway and Gellhorn on HBO...Anyone Here Watch It?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I had been looking forward to it for quite a while now. And it wasn't terrible. Well...OK...maybe I had just raised my expectations a bit to high.

But it employed some great use of vintage newsreel footage. And, generally, the acting was excellent. And I thought the costumes were very good. Except, Papa wears a Walmart, Woodland Camo dove hunting vest in 1943.

Anyone else venture an opinion?

AF

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It was enjoyable trash.

But I found it draggy and repetitive: at least thirty minutes too long. And I thought some of the compositing-them-into-newsreel-footage looked cartoony and distracting. (I'm not sure that I liked the b/w to color transitions at all, frankly.) Some of it - for example, the passionate-sex-while-covered-in-specks-of-plaster-while-bombs-exploded-ten-feet-away - was so over the top that I'm not sure where it fits on the contiuum between idiotic and cheesy.

Of course, Kidman and Owen were, as always, a pleasure to watch. But it wasn't very good history or very good drama...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR