Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hemp fiber hats

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I've seen some fine examples of clothing, shoes, and accessories made from hemp fiber varying from a canvas like texture to denim-like. The only hats I've seen are 'pork pie' varieties similar to the cheap cotton pork pies we are all familiar with.

There is growing interest here in the farm belt in growing hemp for fiber. It's been done before, of course, to supply the U.S. navy with hemp fiber for rope during WW ll. We will need to modify both state and federal laws to allow this to happen.

Hemp fiber hats seem like a no brainer to me.

Here is an example that I am seriously considering:

http://www.thefedorastore.com/New-2009-Henschel-Hempschel-Vented-Sunbeater-Hat-p/5303.htm

Mike K.

One Too Many
Politics and legalities aside, I should be able to give you a constructive review of this hat in the very near future. The one I ordered should be arriving this week.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
Tilley carries a few hemp hats.

Thanks for that, Paisley. If I were in the market for a 'cloth' hat the TH4 Hemp Hat would be it. People I have know that have worn hemp cloth clothing say it is better than cotton for durability, is water repellant and it doesn't shrink but it does cost more in today's market. It's not so good however to replace cotton for lightweight weaves such as shirts and underwear, for example.

Before I found the Henshel brand of hats I had never heard of hemp fiber being weaved like straw.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Mike K. said:
Politics and legalities aside, I should be able to give you a constructive review of this hat in the very near future. The one I ordered should be arriving this week.

I'm very curious about the sweatband and water repellancy characteristics.

I know hemp is way better than cotton or typical straws for water repellancy. I wonder how it would shape up against Sun Hats palm leaf weave.

Mr. Scratch

New in Town
I've been wearing a hemp Tilley TH4 for several years, after being unable to find a replacement T4 that was stolen. I've been very happy with it; it is durable and very water resistant as you mentioned, but additionally it is also very light and breathes well, which is a real blessing in the Summer. If I had to choose between the T4 and TH4 again, I'd go with the TH4 without hesitation.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
CRH said:
Thanks for that, Paisley. If I were in the market for a 'cloth' hat the TH4 Hemp Hat would be it. People I have know that have worn hemp cloth clothing say it is better than cotton for durability, is water repellant and it doesn't shrink but it does cost more in today's market. It's not so good however to replace cotton for lightweight weaves such as shirts and underwear, for example.

I have both the TH5 and TH4 Tilleys in mocha. They really are great hats. http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?catId=13&gender=m&extractBy=CategoryId&id=1&productNo=TH5

Yes, a cloth, more like canvas, so probably not what you are looking for CRH. But I like these better than any other for rough wear in hot weather, and yes they are quite rain repellent too. That's a hard-to-beat combination and they are only lacking in the area of classy appearance.
- Bill

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Woodfluter said:
... But I like these better than any other for rough wear in hot weather, and yes they are quite rain repellent too. That's a hard-to-beat combination and they are only lacking in the area of classy appearance.
- Bill

If I ever take up waterfowling again I think I'll give the TH4 a nod especially for the warm, mosquito ridden early season. It might also be quieter than a felt hat bumbling through hard wood timbers to a tree stand - like any human can walk quietly through hard wood timbers anyway :rolleyes:.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I just bought the TH9--I'm glad to hear the hemp holds up so well.

As to appearance, most ladies' hats are made for either the beach or an over-the-top wedding. This one is just right for me.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
As to appearance, most ladies' hats are made for either the beach or an over-the-top wedding. This one is just right for me.

A rugged functional hat that still retains feminine qualities - hmmm, good choice.

I was looking at those earlier thinking my wife might be interested. I just showed her the picture and she said, drum roll....... it's all wrinkly lol.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Henschel Hemp Hats

Mike K. said:
I should be able to give you a constructive review of this hat in the very near future. The one I ordered should be arriving this week.

It came. I saw. It was immediately returned.

The Henschel hemp hat that I ordered arrived earlier today. Overall, it was a somewhat nice looking hat...HOWEVER. The hemp straw has the rough, plasticy look and feel of those old woven-seat lawn chairs...you know, those old ones with the white and green strips of woven synthetic material strapped to a metal frame. Well, the hemp hat was about like that (even sounded the same). The weave was not very nice, too thick and heavy, and I decided not to even try the slightest reshaping out of fear the fibers would immediately crack. The hats come in S, M, L, and XL and I found that they run about one size smaller than indicated. Oh well, it's about my usual luck these days. :( My recommendation is to stay away from the Henschel hemp hats and find something else.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Mike K. said:
...My recommendation is to stay away from the Henschel hemp hats and find something else.

Wow! I'm glad I asked. Looks like Sun Hats then for me.

Some body needs to jump in first. Thanks for your brave report, Mike K.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy