Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here's another "Aero" Sam Walker

majormajor

One Too Many
I'm no expert on this subject, but having read the previous thread, it would seem that there is a great deal of doubt and hearsay on the connection between Sam Walker and Aero.

So should the word "Aero" feature quite so prominently in the description of this coat?

It has been mentioned that companies like Gibson & Fender get Ebay to take adverts down that use their brandnames inappropriately.

Perhaps Aero need to have a strong word with Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-Q...n_s_Vintage_Coats_Jackets&hash=item4d09497274

majormajor

One Too Many
Why not just talk about quality and looks of the clothes we all love instead of politics!

Cheers

Or to put it another way, if you don't like a thread on a forum, why not refrain from commenting?

You know what they say about TV - if you don't like the programme, the OFF button comes in real handy:D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I don't think it's politics, it's a case of consumer awareness. I come here as much for the archive of information and advice - there is virtually no other place where you can learn about the pitfalls and virtues of jackets the way you can here - as I do the witty badinage. It seems to be that Sam Walker is a grey area for those interested in trying to get an Aero at a knock-down price, and there's a number out there at the moment. I don't see anything wrong with an exchange of opinions and advice on them, people can make their minds up on the basis of them.

wild_balls

Practically Family
I can agree with you Sloan, guess I am just tired of it at the moment!;)
I don't think it's politics, it's a case of consumer awareness. I come here as much for the archive of information and advice - there is virtually no other place where you can learn about the pitfalls and virtues of jackets the way you can here - as I do the witty badinage. It seems to be that Sam Walker is a grey area for those interested in trying to get an Aero at a knock-down price, and there's a number out there at the moment. I don't see anything wrong with an exchange of opinions and advice on them, people can make their minds up on the basis of them.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
How can you tell? I am genuinely curious.

Other jacket makers in the UK seem to have the tension of the stitching different. Aero stuff often, but not always, has little tears around the stitch holes.
The other little give-away is most cheap jackets made in the UK are not made by British workers so use different methods of tailoring. For example, the collars tend to more formed and don't lay flat the way many Aero's do.
I don't claim to any sort of expert, I'm sure someone will chime in that I'm wrong which may be true, but I'm a photographer so do have an eye for detail :cool:

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Mr Crockett may be right. The photos aren't the best but both jackets seem to have the same type of internal pocket. The leather on both jackets looks a bit second rate too. Never trust greedbay !

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
I don't think the first one was made by Aero. The second one was.

I don't think either are Aero ..... the first isn't even a copy of an Aero .. .the second is a copy of a Veste De Rally. I had one of these ( the second one) in the same colour a few years ago and they're not bad ... like the Thunder Bay range by Aero. Different inner pocket design to Aero, no Alpaca wool lining and it's thinner than the equiv. Aero lining ogf that era, different button arrangement and button hole design ... but not bad quality leather ( very similar to my VDR in Tumbled FQHH .. where the horsehide has a very mat and - 9 years down the line - soft and supple feel) - like really thick steer (this is NOT a wind up or a joke).

The hide on these jackets is MUCH lighter and a little thinner ( 2.2-2.5mm at a guess) than the equiv. Aero but as I remember it was nice to wear but a little neat ( the 44" fitted like a 42").

HTH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy