Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Here's to dodging bullets..."

Wyoming Jade

New in Town
A reference to the inscription on the flask given from Mrs. Smith to Mr. Smith in the movie "Mr. & Mrs. Smith". So does anyone carry a flask? What is proper flask etiquette? What occassions should a flask be used? What are the best kinds/makers of flasks? What's an appropriate size flask?

Feraud

Bartender
All I know about flasks is I will have mine full of Maker's Mark at the QM this year!

I have a modern leather wrapped flask. As for proper etiquette, I will leave that to the gentlemen drinkers of the Lounge to explain. ;)

Gift extraordiniere?

I see flasks in the realm of gift items amongst friends or as a gift to the best man type of thing. As such, I like the Idea of having it engraved with a sentiment and or mongramed initials.
:beer:

Amongst my friends, flasks are commonly used by members of the wedding party, during trips, skiing or hiking.
Big get togethers where liquor is not on the open bar list and you don't want to bring your best bourbon to be lapped up by the Philistenes.

Any place when you feel the need of an inconspicuous nip without being in you face about it.

Vodka leaves you breathless!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I gave my husband a nice leather-wrapped flask so he could take booze to the BYOB place to play pool. Don't know if he used it because he confessed he didn't actually play pool there. :( It is now either in his storage unit or at the hock shop, forgot to ask when I saw him. I bought it for about 8 $ from avon.com but they are sold out, no wonder at that price, when I tried to order more for nice inexpensive classy gifts.
Stupid me, I should have kept it, and take it to picnics, parties, college football games, pug meetups and waiting at the bus stop. :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Wyoming Jade said:
What's an appropriate size flask?

I don't know that there is an appropriate size, more a matter of personal preference. I like 8oz. stainless steel with a hinged cap-keeper.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a 4 oz. hip pocket flask from a wedding gift. I keep it in my briefcase filled with Jameson's at work in case I encounter a venomous reptile.

Which I also keep in my briefcase. lol

(apologies to WC Fields)

Wyoming Jade

New in Town
I always figured the flask is an ideal carry on for a quick nip to soothe the old nerves for those who aren't too comfortable with flying. The trick is even before new restrictions, I never saw anyone pulling a flask out of their breast pocket when going through screening. Of course that's not to say it wasn't tucked into their laptop bag, brief case or purse for the ladies.

Feraud

Bartender
Harp said:
A good flask can be either glass or metal, and safely carried
past airport security checkpoints without incident. :)
I do not think this is the case today, is it? What with the recent stricter security measures.
I am sure you can check your flask in with luggage but would be surprised if airport security allowed someone to bring a metal container filled with liquid on a plane.

Harp

I'll Lock Up

Feraud said:
I do not think this is the case today, is it? What with the recent stricter security measures.
I am sure you can check your flask in with luggage but would be surprised if airport security allowed someone to bring a metal container filled with liquid on a plane.

You've got a point. But recent measures due to this summer's London
incident have been relaxed to some extent, I understand. It would be
best to check the TSA website for the latest guidelines. As of this past
spring, my experience was that a filled flask was allowed.

Wyoming Jade

New in Town
TSA Guidelines

I heard that as well. You are only allowed to take 3 oz or less throught the security checkpoint at airports in the states, however you can buy a bottle of water or Starbucks once past the checkpoint and you can take that on the plane. As always, it is best to check the TSA website prior to your trip. My curiousity is how many men really carry flasks or is this another Hollywood fabrication.

It's not the size?

Wyoming Jade said:
What's an appropriate size flask?

The answer to that should be laid out by the following:

When you are carrying it, how do you plan to carry?

OR What size pocket do you need it to fit into?

Is it for you alone,
you and a significant other,
or do you plan to supply a whole slew of lushes?
:cheers1: :beer:
So size will be with in the parameters of the carry and what amount of liquids you want to serve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy