Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on the fit of these leather pants?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
Referencing this thread I made previously A cheaper alternative to these leather pants? I purchased a pair of Vanson leather pants(Woodstock) per recommendations in the thread. I was curious of any opinions anyone here has on the fit and how they generally look. The inseam is absurdly long so from the knees on down I realize it looks bad(will need to get that shortened/hemmed), but the butt, thigh and crotch area I think looks really good. I got my measurements and proper sizing based on the instructions given by both their website and customer service reps on the phone. My only issue is that when sitting the waist area doesn't have much give, so it feels very uncomfortable when sitting. I thought of maybe resizing them up, or having a tailor let out the waist some; but I worried it would ruin the good fit of the other areas like the butt, thigh and crotch area(especially if I try going up in size), and I worry it could cause the pants to look sloppy or droopy as a result. As far as the waist goes, should I just deal with it or lose a little more weight or what? I'd appreciate any input and opinions on the fit, thank you.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 107
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 112

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Do they have lower rise ones? Higher rise may be good for riding but for fashion wear lower rise is better when it comes to leather pants imo.

Edward

Bartender
Do they have lower rise ones? Higher rise may be good for riding but for fashion wear lower rise is better when it comes to leather pants imo.

Given Vanson designed these to be actual motorcycle PPE, I would expect the waistband being on the actual waist rather than several inches south of it is very much deliberate.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yes I see the big pockets maybe for gloves and the big high waist for tucking under the jacket for extra layers of protection there. But that look will stick out in the crowd when off the bike, unless all the places he’s going to have a row of motorbikes parked out front.

The younger urban riders I see around my area wear jeans, mid to low rise. They just strap on their spinal protector before they put on their backpack. Offers more protection and not interfering with style when not on the bike. I don’t think OP has to sacrifice style for function.

edit
mid Low rise like this one, with smaller back pockets, so basically jeans but leather, and use spine protector if riding.

IMG_0914.jpeg

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
The rise looks good to me. Hips are a bit tight and obviously they need a hem, but with a hem I think they'd largely look good.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I don't know about the cut, looks kind of overwhelming to my eyes, the fly looks very long the leg is too straight cut, I like the one in natural tone posted by Canuck Panda a lot more fit wise and also color wise

Edward

Bartender
Yes I see the big pockets maybe for gloves and the big high waist for tucking under the jacket for extra layers of protection there. But that look will stick out in the crowd when off the bike, unless all the places he’s going to have a row of motorbikes parked out front.

The younger urban riders I see around my area wear jeans, mid to low rise. They just strap on their spinal protector before they put on their backpack. Offers more protection and not interfering with style when not on the bike. I don’t think OP has to sacrifice style for function.

edit
mid Low rise like this one, with smaller back pockets, so basically jeans but leather, and use spine protector if riding.

View attachment 571307

Different strokes, I guess: the waistband on those is so low I'd be desperately uncomfortable in them, aside from hating how low waists look. :)

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
If they are not too uncomfortable to wear, you might want to wait for them to break in a bit before having any alterations done. Even the heavy leathers sometimes stretch and you might find they fit even better as they break in. This doesn’t apply to the inseam, of course :) The best advice I have gotten is to wear the boots that you want to wear with the pants when you have them measured for hemming.

Dbtk44

New in Town
Nice leather pants! I like the style...one of the things I DO Not care for on a lot of leathers, is the low rise...just doesn't feel comfortable to me. But these look about right. I'd definitely wear these, in a heartbeat! Congrats on nice leathers!

A suggestion, before you alter Anything (besides hemming the length, of course)..
Throw them in a tumble dryer, with a couple towels or a blanket, and run it NO HEAT...NO HEAT....NO HEAT.....just Air Fluff or whatever yours may designate as NO HEAT setting. Tumble em for 60min to start, 90-120min is even better. This will "break in" stiff leather...it's replicating probably 6mos of movement, in an hour or 2, makes a HUGE difference in the feel! And doesn't hurt the pants at all. I do this to every pair of pants, and every jacket, I get...and makes a huge difference in comfort and fit. Once you feel the difference it makes, you may end up tumbling them for longer, as I've done a time or two, to get the exact softness you want. Again, doesn't hurt the leather at all...just replicates "normal" wear in a very short time. Also sometimes brings the grain up in some hides and enhances the look.

Also..if, after the tumbling, you still find the waistband is too stiff...hit it with a hair dryer for a minute or 2 or 3, constantly going over the waistband, just keep it moving and youll not overheat anything, feeling the leather to make sure its warm and not getting too hot to touch (keep it on the lowest heat setting, and youll be fine)...and then wear them for a good hour plus, longer is better. The heat opens up the pores a bit and makes it more flexible/stretchy, and will conform to YOUR unique size and shape, as long as you wear them as they cool down. Your body heat does the exact same thing, just takes a LOT longer to achieve the same result, than a min or 2 with a hair dryer. Again, makes a huge difference in fit and comfort, and a much shorter "break in" period.

This is just free stuff you can do to help the fit and feel... enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner