Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Fit Check—Royale Enfield

80H-d

New in Town
Hi all,

First time long time.

I used to have a Schott P693. I loved that jacket, but as I live in Phoenix, I had about 3 days a year it was realistic to wear it thanks to the wool lining. Moved it on and got a Schott 246 instead—much more comfy with its cotton liner, and lambskin to boot. It wasn't a perfect fit (a little tight in the arms when raised). But it was definitely good enough.

Then I lost 40 pounds. Swimming in that jacket. Moved it on. Spent a lot of time on this site and Vanson kept coming up for having great range of motion.

Enter this Size 40 Royale Enfield. Is it right? I am wearing it over a T-shirt. Ideally my jacket would fit comfortably over two layers (undershirt + button-down), maybe over a thin sweater/hoodie on the coldest of desert nights. I do not ride.

Concerns:
- sleeves seem too short
- torso length seems borderline? Is it a shorter style or is it simply too short?
- sleeves are tight on the forearms when zipped (would this ease with breaking in?)
- is it simply "tight because I'm used to a more relaxed fit" or is it just "too tight"?

My measurements:
- 30yo
- 6'2
- 19.5" shoulder
- 39" chest
- 24" shoulder to wrist
- 40" around the belly
- 34W30L pants

I have already returned this jacket. I am in contact with Nick at Vanson regarding some deletions I want to do (side buckles, throat button), so this jacket would have to go back regardless of fit.

Thanks for any advice/feedback!

Attachments

• Open Back Arms Down.jpg
    Open Back Arms Down.jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Zipped Side Arms Up.jpg
    Zipped Side Arms Up.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 183
  • Zipped Side Arms Down.jpg
    Zipped Side Arms Down.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 209
  • Zipped Front Arms Down.jpg
    Zipped Front Arms Down.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 221
  • Zipped Back Arms Up.jpg
    Zipped Back Arms Up.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Zipped Back Arms Down.jpg
    Zipped Back Arms Down.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Open Side Arms Up.jpg
    Open Side Arms Up.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Open Side Arms Down.jpg
    Open Side Arms Down.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Open Front Arms Down.jpg
    Open Front Arms Down.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Open Back Arms Up.jpg
    Open Back Arms Up.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 200

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
It looks a touch short in the arms and torso to my tastes. The shoulders look good but it does appear tight in the torso. Are you thinking about a custom order or just whether to go for a 42?

barnabus

One Too Many
The sleeves are a little bit shorter than I would like them, but only by a small amount.

Torso length looks good to my eyes, and whilst snug I don't think it looks too tight.

All that said, you already think it might be too short and nobody else's opinion will change that.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Sleeves look good to me for casual wear. I don't ride, nor do I intend to, so just touching the back of my palm is good for me.

Torso length also looks good to me, but it depends on your tastes. I like medium length the most, not too short, not too long around 25-26" back length for me at 5'11" but I also wear medium-high rise trousers which allows for the proportions to be more balanced,

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
I would add a bit to the front drop (1 - 2"), shorten the back by 0.25-0.5", as the jacket seems to ride up when closed and add 2" to the torso, as it seems to be very snug. Sleeves are down to preferences.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I've looked at the Royale version many times myself. In stock form it is shorter by an inch than the regular version, and tighter. Maybe try a regular Enfield in the same size before you go for the full custom. It will tick all your boxes except for deleting the side cinches, it is longer, a bit wider, no throat latch.

80H-d

New in Town
It looks a touch short in the arms and torso to my tastes. The shoulders look good but it does appear tight in the torso. Are you thinking about a custom order or just whether to go for a 42?
I'm thinking about a 42 based on torso tightness (or preference for a relaxed fit? who can say). Would also need the sleeves lengthened from a 42.

I've looked at the Royale version many times myself. In stock form it is shorter by an inch than the regular version, and tighter. Maybe try a regular Enfield in the same size before you go for the full custom. It will tick all your boxes except for deleting the side cinches, it is longer, a bit wider, no throat latch.
That is a tempting option for sure. I prefer chrome over brass for the hardware, however, and from what I can tell based on the pictures, it does not have collar snaps—I might not prefer them in the end, but I think I do, and they are nice to have. Plus the sleeves would need lengthened on either model.

80H-d

New in Town
Well, I ordered the regular Enfield. I took another look and the sleeves are an inch longer than the Royale. If it fits close enough to right, I might just keep it as is and not even return it to re-order one with the side-cinch delete. Brass isn't that big a deal once it tarnishes and neither are the snaps (plus it is set up for the steamliner insert which is a really neat concept to me).

Thank you for your counsel!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Well, I ordered the regular Enfield. I took another look and the sleeves are an inch longer than the Royale. If it fits close enough to right, I might just keep it as is and not even return it to re-order one with the side-cinch delete. Brass isn't that big a deal once it tarnishes and neither are the snaps (plus it is set up for the steamliner insert which is a really neat concept to me).

Thank you for your counsel!
Glad it worked out. The regular Enfield is hard to beat. They’ve got holiday promo right. now I think. i remember seeing the email. Not sure if the liner ever goes on sale though, but totally worth it, extends the use of jacket to all seasons.

80H-d

New in Town
Glad it worked out. The regular Enfield is hard to beat. They’ve got holiday promo right. now I think. i remember seeing the email. Not sure if the liner ever goes on sale though, but totally worth it, extends the use of jacket to all seasons.
That's what I was thinking. It's worth getting since I wouldn't really need another jacket past that. So easy to, say, pack into a day bag for a short trip up north.

Can't wait to see how it fits once it gets here. Will update with more fit pics when it comes in.

The royale must be somewhere between the Enfield and Oxford in terms of fit? Seems slimmer than the Enfield and a. It more generous than the 9D.

80H-d

New in Town
Received the Enfield in a size 40.

Sleeve length is much better. Chest seems now too big slightly? Torso is definitely too short—seems shorter than the Royale.

Having pondered things over the past few weeks, I think I want a brown jacket anyway, so TB it is.

Any recommendations for a good brown hide that feels nice and pliable/broken in out of the box? Was thinking maybe dark seal goat; their Bainbridge Dark Maple sounds like it breaks in very fast from their description.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Attachments

• 20231231_120957.jpg
    20231231_120957.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
  • 20231231_120951.jpg
    20231231_120951.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
  • 20231231_120946.jpg
    20231231_120946.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • 20231231_120931.jpg