Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey! I have a Federation IV at last!

Goose.

Practically Family
Fletch...that poster is a HOOT!
Thanks for the smile.

dschonn, as I stated beofre, I like the crown...but I like low crowns...I guess for me I think it makes my noggin look smaller. But I'm posting just to let the Lounge Lizards know I am learning a lot from all the input you are receiving and from other threads. In fact I have changed the crown on my Sydney because of Skyvue and others here.
Though, I wear a hat the way I like to, it's good to mess around and try something new...just wanted al' y'all to to know that I appreciate your wisdom and opinions.

dschonn

Familiar Face
Thanks for the input, guys. I have raised the front a bit while leaving the back more or less where it was, as far as I can tell, which gives the added visual height that was called for and provides a nice rake as well. I'm trying to get the brim to curl more, although I don't know if I'm going to get it to do anything without steam, which I've been holding off on until I know I have the shape I want. I worked on the side dents some more, too.

Since I knew everyone would call for a picture, I took one.
3313557680_6e2886f679.jpg

I think I'm going to have to trim the brim a little after all, but probably so little that some industrious sandpapering would do the trick. The dimensional cut is off-center, and in the front there's a subtle cusp about an inch and a half to the right of center, which is the widest point in the brim. It bothers me enough that I'll want to do something about it, even though it's not that noticeable. I do like the width on the sides, so I'll only take width off of the widest parts, perhaps only at the front. If you look at the fourth picture in my first post, my bash looks significantly off-center, but it's actually the crooked dimensional cut of the brim and the angle of my head that aren't plumb. The side dents are now a little asymmetrical, and I'm working on that, but not too hard. I don't want them too perfect.

I love that wanted poster, and I'm glad to see I'm worth so much.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Yep that already looks loads better I think. The slight actual height increase at the front, plus the deeper side bashes which visually raise the front too, make it look so much more suited to you.

Good one. ;)

N. :)

Torpedo

One Too Many
I like it better now, too.

Regarding the off-center dimensional cut... have you thought of creasing the hat off center too, in coordination? Maybe this would compensate, and you would not need to trim the brim.

When you mention "curl", I assume you mean the brim sides?

Regards!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice! As most of the others think, I would not trim the brim on it, especially now. I like the raised crown front. :eusa_clap

dschonn

Familiar Face
Thanks, fellows! I think it's really starting to look good, too.

Torpedo: I was examining the hat earlier today, and it almost looks like they built the Indiana Jones turn into the hat, in a way. I may be wrong, but the bow seems to be placed slightly forward of where it ought to be, and the dimensional cut is off-center in the same direction and by about the same amount. I tried turning it a bit on my head so that the wide parts of the brim were centered, and I got that swoop in the brim that all those Indy gearheads covet, and the ribbon went to where I believe it ought to be (right over my ear), and the front pinch didn't look terribly wrong either, which must mean I put that in a little crooked, too. I expect it was the mirror image of the real Indy turn, though. Anyway, I may just start wearing it like that despite myself, because if I don't do it too much, it looks pretty cool. It makes the brim look more interesting, which is why I wanted to curl the brim in the first place. And yes, I did mean the sides, though I wouldn't mind a little at the back as well.

You guys have pretty much convinced me not to trim the brim, but I still want to sand down that cusp, and maybe get some of the fuzziness off the brim while I'm at it.

Goose.

Practically Family
Cool beans on not cutting the brim. That thought of doing it so soon made me cringe.
Like Indycop's sig, "Don't Tread on Me"..."Don't Trim My Brim". Well, at least until after the break-in period.

I'm glad you're liking that Fed. Makes me even more eager to getting mine SOMEDAY.

dschonn

Familiar Face
It's a regular in carbon grey. The deluxe doesn't come in a grey this dark, nor in black, according to the Hatsdirect website.

OddSteve

Familiar Face
dschonn, your pictures are really eye candy for me. Now I'm even more looking forward to the Fed IV deluxe in moonstone I ordered yesterday! :D

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
dschonn said:
I was examining the hat earlier today, and it almost looks like they built the Indiana Jones turn into the hat, in a way. I may be wrong, but the bow seems to be placed slightly forward of where it ought to be, and the dimensional cut is off-center in the same direction and by about the same amount. I tried turning it a bit on my head so that the wide parts of the brim were centered, and I got that swoop in the brim that all those Indy gearheads covet, and the ribbon went to where I believe it ought to be (right over my ear), and the front pinch didn't look terribly wrong either, which must mean I put that in a little crooked, too. I expect it was the mirror image of the real Indy turn, though.

I've noticed that mine looks like it has the turn built in too (I, too, have a regular Fed IV carbon grey). I may have it turned slightly too (unintentional) but it is noticable in a mirror.

I'm not knocking your hat, but it's nice to see that mine isn't the only one that looks like it has a flat brim all around. You pull it off well. I look like a cheesy mobster and can't figure out how to curl the sides slightly (I might need more steam).

But you do well in your hat, sir. My compliments.

-Allen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace