Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey, I'm new here.

HatSoup

Familiar Face
Hey, I'm 20 years old and live in Chicago. I'm within walking distance from Optimo Hats, but those hats are too expensive for me!
The two hats I have are a Straw Bailey Shooter Panama hat and a brown Bailey Briar fedora. My hat size is about 7 1/2.

Anyway, I am looking to buy another hat. I like the two toned style shown here:
http://www.hats-plus.com/detail.aspx?ID=540&Name=Guerra-Two-Tone-Dual-Fedora-Hat

However $135 is a bit much. Does anyone know of Two-Tone hats which are less?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge.
If you're lucky, you can pick up one of these on ebay. Of course, you're my size, so you'll have to put up a fight.

dobbs1958.jpg

jamespowers said:
Hahahahah! Not quite but I have a few pictures of my two toned Dobbs Gamebird from the late 50s if that helps.
Gamebirdside.jpg

Gamebirdfront.jpg

Gamebird.jpg

The idea of a two-toned hat is quite old really. They have been around before the 1940s but more as a novelty than a common place hat. I have a half straw half felt hat that I posted before. That is quite old as well. The felt on that is under the brim of the straw hat though. I had an accident with the hat and the result is too gruesome to recount. :rage: Here is how it looked before.
46c2ea10.jpg

Notice the felt underside of the brim.

Regards to all,

J

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Lefty,
Can you zoom in on that print for me? I'm very interested, as I actually have a 2 toned hat like the one jamespowers has. Mine is black and gray.
125-2545_IMG.jpg

rrog

A-List Customer
Hey HatSoup, I sent a hat to Optimo to be refurbed and haven't heard anything from them yet. Why don't you check it out for me...

Just kidding, of course. And welcome to the lounge. Some of these guys really know their hats. You'll learn a lot.

rrog

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
rmrdaddy said:
Lefty,
Can you zoom in on that print for me? I'm very interested, as I actually have a 2 toned hat like the one jamespowers has. Mine is black and gray.

Sorry, that's the full size version from my collection. Sometimes ebay auctions have nice, large photos for me to steal, but not in this case.

Freakin' James Powers and his awesome hats...
jamespowers said:
Ok, try this one as an example:

KnoxTwoToneside.jpg

KnoxTwoTonefront.jpg

The colors are not quite true to how it is in person but you get the idea. This is a two tone green hat from the 1940s. The brim is a deep green color and the crown is an olive. The brim binding matches the color of the crown. The ribbon is just a bit darker.
I love it and wear it. The first time I wore it, I got a compliment on the hat after walking out the door just ten feet to my car. A woman was doing her morning walk and complimented the hat. To which, I said thank you and tipped my two tone. Just about everyone who sees it just can't believe it can be done so seamlessly.
So what do you think of a two tone hat now? :D

Regards,

J

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I do like the two shades of green color combination. It seems to me that two shades of the same basic color look much better than two starkly different or contrasting colors. Thanks for sharing the photos - E

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw