Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey, what ever happened to....

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
....Fainting?

In all of the 30's and 40's movies women fainted all the time at the first sign of bad news.
A perfectly plausible response to female sensory overload.

"Hmmmm, I don't care much for this bit of info. I feel iminent peril. What's a girl to do? I know! I'll just pass out. That should solve everything."

I think we should campaign Hollywood to bring this arcane bit of insight into the female psyche back to the big screen.

Then perhaps we could re-teach all of the actresses to fall down as soon as they start running (in high heels) from the monster, aliens, lion, ax murderer, etc.

It's high time we demand historical accuracy of this nature...

Best,
Toots

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think it was a holdover from Victorian times, when ladies wore tight corsets. They actually did faint pretty often. I guess it was such a useful dramatic device that it stayed around Hollywood and Broadway for years.
I think the same could be said about people suddenly dying for no disernable medical reason, other than dramatic effect.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Your seething sarcasm was highly enjoyable. (Alternatively, if you were serious (har, har) your inadvertent seething sarcasm was highly enjoyable!)

The fainting was always ludicrous.

Just as ludicrous as the brawl scenes in those old movies.

Hollywood is from a different planet. The people making the films had obviously never seen a women receive bad news or be in danger, nor had they ever witnessed a real bar brawl, etc.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I used to faint a lot, actually -- it's called postural hypotension, and it happens when the blood doesn't make it to the brain fast enough. But it was usually just when I sat up too quick -- if I fainted every time I was shocked or outraged by something ridiculous, repellent, or stupid, I'd spend my whole life unconscious.

My favorite fainting scene was the opening credits of the old "Quincy M. E." TV show, where rought tough old Dr. Quincy introduces a line of cadets to "the most fascinating sphere of police work -- the world of forensic medicine." And then he whips the sheet off a stiff, and all the cadets faint. Ha, ha.

Smuterella

One Too Many
It has been replaced with gratuitous vomiting, I've noticed that in so many films they use vomiting to show shock or horror. It really is unnecessary.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I fainted several years ago when I gave blood and didn't take any time to sit and relax before leaving. I felt very ill for a few minutes before it happened and I wouldn't want to repeat the experience.

...unless Alex O'Laughlin were there to hold my hand while I recovered.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I....and all the cadets faint. Ha, ha.

Speaking of cadets fainting, sometimes people fainted in formation when I was in basic training. They locked their knees, the blood went to their feet, and then *thump.*

LizzieMaine said:
My favorite fainting scene was the opening credits of the old "Quincy M. E." TV show, where rought tough old Dr. Quincy introduces a line of cadets to "the most fascinating sphere of police work -- the world of forensic medicine." And then he whips the sheet off a stiff, and all the cadets faint. Ha, ha.

Ah yes, the season five intro sequence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lA7FmwkluE
You brought back a memory I thought I had long forgotten. My father used to love that scene. lol

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember from a lecture at the university that in medival epics the men fainted too. It was a sign for emotional excitement and involvement.
Maybe a body can really fulfill the reaction that seem to be appropriate in a certain time/society?

I can't recall anything else from that lecture because the professor had a very monotonous and drowsy voice. I alsmost fainted..uhm fell asleep.

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:
gratuitous vomiting

Hah! Smuterella, you crack me up. How could vomiting on screen be anything but?

I realize diarrhea is part of the human cycle as well but I hope Hollywood doesn't graduate to that extreme in the future just to portray shock.... unless Tarantino is reading this thread and I've already let the cat out of the bag?! Oops! lol

Given the choices, I suppose I'd prefer fainting.

Best,
Toots

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
Dewhurst said:
nor had they ever witnessed a real bar brawl, etc.

Dewhurst, you are absolutely correct.
I'm sure everyone who's ever watched an on screen brawl takes it for granted that men can easily withstand 8, 10 or even 20 full-on punches to the cranium and just shake it off like so many gnats. Cruiser weight fighters could not withstand this sort of punishment.

I own a bar and, as such, have had the opportunity to witness and sometimes join in such conflicts and I can promise you, no matter how big the brawlers, they all end very quickly.

Don't even get me started on the chair busting over the head/back thing! lol

Best,
Toots

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Ive come close to fainting when Ive been squatting for more than a few seconds and stand up too quickly. I get reeeeally dizzy and have almost blacked out more than a few times. Its been attributed to low blood pressure but its normal when its checked at the doctor.

Sunny

One Too Many
I sing in several choirs, and let me tell you, that is arguably the most common places to see a person faint nowadays. People lock their knees, they stand motionless for 30-60 minutes at a time, often hot lights or the sun are beating down, and they're singing - and especially if they've been stupid and skipped meals - they can drop like flies. It's not a shock thing at all. Like Lizzie said, it's cutting off the blood to the brain; and standing still slows the circulation.

And my father fainted during Civil Air Patrol formation in high school. He just remembers feeling tired, then the next thing he saw was grass stretching away from before his eyes. He must have just fallen like a tree. And the poor guy's 6'8", so that's a long way to fall!

Cricket

Practically Family
I have also noticed how many Victorian or antebellum homes I have toured seem to always have what I guess they are really called....fainting couches.

I am not sure if that is their correct name, but that is what I always heard them called.

I think I need to move a fainting couch next to my desk at my newspaper office. Hearing all the shocking news I hear in one day, maybe a good faint would help me get through it all. :)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Speaking of cadets fainting, sometimes people fainted in formation when I was in basic training. They locked their knees, the blood went to their feet, and then *thump.*
fainting-soldier-in-austria-pic-rex.jpg

images

fainting%20guard%20&%20Queen.jpg

Let's assume they weren't overcome with shock at having to wear silly uniforms.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Brigade of Guards (GB)

It even happens with the best! Probably the finest body of soldiers in the world on the Parade Ground (The Brigade of Guards - Grenadiers/Coldstream/Irish/Welsh/Scots) during the famous 'Trooping the Colour' in front of the Queen, often bears witness to men falling like trees. Ouch!

guards.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW