Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi-Ho, I'm a-goin' to OPTIMO!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh Boy!
I am headed to Chi-town for a convention in Oct. & am planning a visit to Optimo. I am very jazzed 'bout this. It will be my first time in a real hat shop in over twenty years, of course I can't actually afford anything that they offer... but I was thinking of taking a couple of lids in to have some alteration/restoration work performed. I have an unworn fawn Stetson 25 Rancher w/ a 3 1/4" brim that I have been longing to have fedora-ised... an old brown Stetson 15 with a mode edge and dimensionally cut brim that needs a clean/block/sweat & ribbon replacement (total overhaul)....
I'll also be visiting the Field Museum & the Museum of Science & Industry... it's been a long while since I have seen Chicago... anything else that I shouldn't miss?

Aerol

A-List Customer
When in Rome...

Don't miss the Art Institute of Chicago, the Adler Planetarium and the Aquarium. Take in a show or two (Goodman Theater, Steppenwolf Theater and The Second City). Blues clubs are everywhere. You could also see the Chicago Symphony, one of the best in the world.

PM me for more ideas, info, and directions.

squid

One of the Regulars
Rick Blaine said:
Oh Boy!
I am headed to Chi-town for a convention in Oct. & am planning a visit to Optimo. I am very jazzed 'bout this. It will be my first time in a real hat shop in over twenty years, of course I can't actually afford anything that they offer... but I was thinking of taking a couple of lids in to have some alteration/restoration work performed. I have an unworn fawn Stetson 25 Rancher w/ a 3 1/4" brim that I have been longing to have fedora-ised... an old brown Stetson 15 with a mode edge and dimensionally cut brim that needs a clean/block/sweat & ribbon replacement (total overhaul)....
I'll also be visiting the Field Museum & the Museum of Science & Industry... it's been a long while since I have seen Chicago... anything else that I shouldn't miss?

One word: Pizza

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dunkin Donuts

Stroll the Magnificient Mile, go up to the John Handcock tower, and don't miss the museum of Science and Industry. Oh, and there is a nice breakfast place down the street from OPTIMO. They also start their day with Dunkin Donuts.:D

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Rick Blaine said:
Oh Boy!

Hi, Rick--I am most envious--I love Chicago. Couple of comments--one is, I just had Graham at Optimo completely overhaul an old brown Borsalino for me, and the outcome was outstanding--I am out of town now, but when I get home I will post pix, before and after. Another thing is, if you like old architecture, why not tour some of the Frank Lloyd Wright homes in the area? You can get in a lot in an afternoon, and it is very worthwhile.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Many thanks all...

... for your helpful & rapid replies!
*pizza... of course a must.
*Palmer house looks luxurious... whoa... I'm not sure I have the wardrobe!
*the cruise idea is a pip! When I lived in NYC I looked fwd. to friends visiting from out-of-town so I would have an excuse to board the circle line cruises & gaze upon Manhattan...capital suggestion!
*Science & Industry was my favorite place in the world when I was a kid (I grew up in Champ'banna- props Ortega76 ;) )
* The Adler... I must admit I had forgotton this gem, I think it was the first Planetarium I ever went to...the John G. Shedd too,
& Cruiser, I would love to set eyes on that refurb, when you have a chance, based on what I've seen here I know that he does masterful work!
sincerest thanks again, all !
... keep 'em coming

Phil

A-List Customer
Stray for the toruist path

All of this sounds really great. I know you'll want to do the tourist thing, who wouldn't? My only adivce to you is to try some places that aren't chain or run-of-the-mill. I know they may look kinda dirty at first glance, but there's a reason they're still open. Don't be afraid to try something just because of the looks. Speaking of looks, I know you proboably like to wear vintage clothing around, but I'd somewhat suggest against it. Mainly because you will most likely be somewhat of a target for any pickpockets. I'm not going to lie to you, there are pickpockets, and I'd hate to see one of our own get scammed.

Best wishes on your trip.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Phil said:
you proboably like to wear vintage clothing around, but I'd somewhat suggest against it. Mainly because you will most likely be somewhat of a target for any pickpockets.
Pickpockets target those who wear vintage? Who knew?

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Architecture!

You must must must do one of the architectural walks, organized (I think) by the Art Institute. There are crucial buildings in Chicago you would never see otherwise. And I would try to do a tour of the Frank Lloyd Wright houses as well.

BigSho

Vendor
First off ortega72 definetly knows what he is talking about Fogo De Chao while not cheap is quite the meal. Last time I ate there I left in a seriously euphoric state of bliss, and had to make my date drive because of it. Also in terms of shows a new cirque de soleil just opened and it is an amazing show. Navy peir is a great night time walk around spot Some of the blues bars are very cool and give you a great insight into (in my mind) a very special hat culture seldom seen anymore. I suggest a place called Artiss's depending on when you are here a man by the name of billy branch who is one of the best harmonica players in the world jams there every tuesday. There is also always teh standards of Kingston mines, Legends which buddy guy owns and has been known to randomly show up and get on stage, and Blues on Halsted. The museums have already been covered and such but if you go to metromix.com it has a lot of stuff and special events that you can look through in the city. Oh and then if you every wanted to see 30000 plus hats in one place Hats Plus is always a good stop to make. ;)

Jeremy
www.hats-plus.com

Harp

I'll Lock Up
After Optimo

After visiting Optimo, head east up 95th Street where several small
haberdash/vintage shops have sprouted and are struggling to put down
roots in Chicago's hard commercial concrete. Across the street
from the Rock Island train station is a corner barbeque joint that
serves the best Jamaican jerk chicken on the Southside.

More established vintage shops can be found downtown along
the Gold Coast; notably the area flanking Clark/Rush Streets, and
another vintage period place for accessories is inconspicuously
tucked away on Dearborn Avenue, just a few blocks north of the
Excalibur nightclub. Le Colonial, a French-Vietnamese restaurant
in the Rush Street district serves an excellent grilled salmon, as does
Dublin's Pub in the same neighborhood. For steak, go to Gibson's,
or Hugo's Frog Bar&Grill. One last suggestion, a secret learned in college,
the best place to meet women in Chicago is the Art Institute.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany