Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rogerstg

A-List Customer

I've been wearing it where it looks right, as I feel a Panama should. Think they look goofy if they're too high on the head, no?

Can easily fit my fingers between my ears and the brim, and the crown just almost touches the top of my head. Is this not right?

Thanks,

Joe

I think I misread/misinterpreted your post as that you had no space between your earlobe and brim. Speaking for myself, I went down almost one hat size from when I began wearing fedoras because I was wearing them where they felt familiar, like a ball cap. Now I wear them higher on my head, like you currently wear yours. I mistakenly thought our experiences were similar.

Jschaefer7406

New in Town
I think I misread/misinterpreted your post as that you had no space between your earlobe and brim. Speaking for myself, I went down almost one hat size from when I began wearing fedoras because I was wearing them where they felt familiar, like a ball cap. Now I wear them higher on my head, like you currently wear yours. I mistakenly thought our experiences were similar.

Hahahaha, no worries. Mistaken advice is still good advice, was meant well and trying to help :).

Here is a pic of when I first unboxed it:

IMG_20170715_132629174.jpg

Look about right?

Thanks all,

Joe

P.S. - Anyone have recommendations on traveling with a Panama? Know the expensive ones can be rolled, but this is not one of them lol. Thinking a hat box, any recommendations?

Hahahaha, no worries. Mistaken advice is still good advice, was meant well and trying to help :).

Here is a pic of when I first unboxed it:

View attachment 80119

Look about right?

Thanks all,

Joe

P.S. - Anyone have recommendations on traveling with a Panama? Know the expensive ones can be rolled, but this is not one of them lol. Thinking a hat box, any recommendations?

Never a guarantee, but I always place my straws in the very back of the overhead compartment. It seems there is more of a tendency for the contents to move forward during breaking than back, on takeoff. So far, so good for me. It means you need to try to board as early as possible.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Never a guarantee, but I always place my straws in the very back of the overhead compartment. It seems there is more of a tendency for the contents to move forward during breaking than back, on takeoff. So far, so good for me. It means you need to try to board as early as possible.
I wore one of my hats back, or held it in my hand. The others were in actual carry-on bags for protection from savage airline bag handlers!

Jschaefer7406

New in Town
Thanks, guys. Guess I should have been more specific, this past trip was by car :).

SUV was packed to the gills, so no room in the back. Didn't want to wear it while driving, would hit the headrest and deform I'm afraid.

So Wife held it when I wasn't wearing it, but felt like a burden to her. Also, when on the beach, times I wasn't wearing it were not the best either. Had it upside down in our beach bag, covered with a shirt (as my kids like to approach us dropping wet or covered in sand lol). Felt like I had to be overprotective of it, and felt I was growling at the kids to keep out of the bag. Not fair to either of us lol.

What to do in situations like these?

Thanks,

Joe

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, guys. Guess I should have been more specific, this past trip was by car :).

SUV was packed to the gills, so no room in the back. Didn't want to wear it while driving, would hit the headrest and deform I'm afraid.

So Wife held it when I wasn't wearing it, but felt like a burden to her. Also, when on the beach, times I wasn't wearing it were not the best either. Had it upside down in our beach bag, covered with a shirt (as my kids like to approach us dropping wet or covered in sand lol). Felt like I had to be overprotective of it, and felt I was growling at the kids to keep out of the bag. Not fair to either of us lol.

Thanks,

Joe
A dedicated hat box is what I use for stowing hats in the trunk or the back seat. There are hard-sided boxes but I just use a cardboard shipping box that a hatter sent me for a custom I ordered. On the beach is tough, but we always have one person stay behind and watch our stuff.

Thanks,

Joe

Easy answer on this one, Joe. You need a bigger SUV! Think Suburban, GMC XL, or, if you must, a Ford Expedition. Plenty of headroom, and if you need to, adjust the seatback up or down to better-accommodate the back of the brim. Although I do find myself removing my hat while driving long distances, simply so that my old posture while sitting isn't adversely affected.

The best advice I can think of for beach problems is to go only to freshwater lakes where the lawn goes right up to a short sandy entry into the water. Park your blanket on the grass. I always have felt that beaches would be much nicer if someone would clean up all that nasty sand!

One (three, really) final word on emergency temporary shelter for Panama hats... plastic grocery bags. They're easily stowed almost anywhere, even a back pocket. I keep a couple stuffed under the seat of my bicycles for this purpose. Good for emergency rain protection, keeps the kids from dripping on them, and lowers your blood pressure. Just don't forget it's in there, and place it out of the way!

RJR

Easy answer on this one, Joe. You need a bigger SUV! Think Suburban, GMC XL, or, if you must, a Ford Expedition. Plenty of headroom, and if you need to, adjust the seatback up or down to better-accommodate the back of the brim. Although I do find myself removing my hat while driving long distances, simply so that my old posture while sitting isn't adversely affected.

The best advice I can think of for beach problems is to go only to freshwater lakes where the lawn goes right up to a short sandy entry into the water. Park your blanket on the grass. I always have felt that beaches would be much nicer if someone would clean up all that nasty sand!

One (three, really) final word on emergency temporary shelter for Panama hats... plastic grocery bags. They're easily stowed almost anywhere, even a back pocket. I keep a couple stuffed under the seat of my bicycles for this purpose. Good for emergency rain protection, keeps the kids from dripping on them, and lowers your .pressure. Just don't forget it's in there, and place it out of the way!
Hat rain covers are pretty cheap;I have them stashed in several places.

zaleskb1

New in Town
I posted earlier in wrong area about this hat I got. Cannot find one iota of info, such age, who this hat maker is, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Found tag in ribbon.

Attachments

• 20170726_081838-resized-1280.jpg
    20170726_081838-resized-1280.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 20170726_081930-resized-1280.jpg
    20170726_081930-resized-1280.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 20170726_081907-resized-1280.jpg
    20170726_081907-resized-1280.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 114
I would suggest searching Etsy for the right kind of ribbon, namely a cotton-rayon blend straight edged grosgrain, and making a new one yourself. You would then have the choice to go with a replica of the original, or any width, bow style and color you desire. There are tons of photos of awesome bands and bows here on this forum from which to draw inspiration.
If you still need a ribbon, give me a shout. I need to see what you'd be needing. I have several thousand yards of vintage, true 40's 50s vintage cotton rayon woven edge ribbon.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MikeR

New in Town
I am getting married in late September (morning church wedding, brunch reception that will end by 4pm), wearing the suit below (different tie, black shoes). I'm not certain I will don a hat on the big day (though I think the bride-to-be would love for me to!), since we won't be spending much time outside anyway, but thought it might be fun to throw around ideas for what would go well. So...any thoughts? The tag has since been removed :)

tPmsCrT.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
a grey hat
a brown hat ... (but only with brown shoes in my opinion ... just won't work to my eyes with black shoes)
a navy hat
an ox blood hat
if it is hot out a nice straw will look great

Something semi formal and definitely not the hat in your avi

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hell yes. Give Art a call. (Art Fawcett) Give him the photo and ask him to make you look like a million $. That's what I would do at least. Congrats on the big life move and finding a woman that appreciates hats.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21