Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
If it's straw weather, I'd either go with a Homburg in straw (Sunbody do a nice one), or perhaps a boater; for felt weather, a light grey Homburg or similar fedora. The Homburg in either case will be the more 'formal' option, so it might be wise to check and see what the realtive formality of the bride will be if you want to 'match' in that sense.
any sort of Homburg sounds far too formal for a morning ceremony and a brunch reception.... to me anyway

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I felt over dressed over the weekend at my niece's wedding with a maroon guayabera and a VS Silvermist, although the blue, white and red Allen Edmonds spectator shoes garnered rave reviews from the groom's mother and her friends.

i-dwV9BXd-M.jpg
i-tr5kVFk-M.jpg

i-b5cMDMw-M.jpg

Edward

Bartender
any sort of Homburg sounds far too formal for a morning ceremony and a brunch reception.... to me anyway

All subjective, I guess. I'm used to noon weddings in full formal daywear; lounge suits for weddings are only really coming back round in my experience during the last eight or nine years.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
All subjective, I guess. I'm used to noon weddings in full formal daywear; lounge suits for weddings are only really coming back round in my experience during the last eight or nine years.
I play at probably 3 or 4 weddings a month ... and it seems that day and early evening weddings tend to be much more casual than night weddings.
... sort of the way beach weddings are always more casual than ballroom weddings.
a brunch wedding screams casual to me ... at least based on what I see all the time.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
A day wedding (in general) will be less formal then an evening affair but much more important, specifically regarding dress and attire will depend on the location, the dinning arrangements (buffet, formal sit down dinner, food stations) etc... as well as exactly what type of affair you'd like to present and type of dress (if any) you would like to see your guest wear. If there's no dress "code" specified on the invitations, then it's really all abt what you and your fiance feel comfortable wearing. Congratulations and enjoy your special day!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I left my hat on top of a table display while I went through the chow line at my niece's wedding. I guess the professional photog thought enough of it to take some pics, too. She said, "oooh, I just have to get some shots of that!"

i-558Dpf4-XL.jpg

Reactions: RJR

Edward

Bartender
I play at probably 3 or 4 weddings a month ... and it seems that day and early evening weddings tend to be much more casual than night weddings.
... sort of the way beach weddings are always more casual than ballroom weddings.
a brunch wedding screams casual to me ... at least based on what I see all the time.

It seems the US is much more varied on that front that the UK (as, of course, one might expect from such a vast geographical area with such a broad range of cultural variations). Evening weddings aren't a thing here at all (if memory serves, they can only legally be performed in the Scottish jurisdiction; friends of a friend who wanted to get married duing the regular Sunday night service at their church in Northern Ireland had to do the legal bit the day before in a civil ceremony as they were not able to get a legal licence for an evening wedding). Most weddings are noon or 2pm, with reception to follow - traditionally a sit down meal with party thereafter; there may be a second tranch of guests invited to the party that follows the meal. Course, there's much more variance in levels of formality seeping in, not only as seocnd marriages become more common but as the norm now is to marry later (if memory serves the average age for a first marriage in the UK is now 32), and with tougher economic circumstances kicking in for many, we're starting to see things vary. One of the more fun receptions I've been to was Halloween themed (they kept the ceremony 'straight', then went full on for the reception party).

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
It seems the US is much more varied on that front that the UK (as, of course, one might expect from such a vast geographical area with such a broad range of cultural variations). Evening weddings aren't a thing here at all (if memory serves, they can only legally be performed in the Scottish jurisdiction; friends of a friend who wanted to get married duing the regular Sunday night service at their church in Northern Ireland had to do the legal bit the day before in a civil ceremony as they were not able to get a legal licence for an evening wedding). Most weddings are noon or 2pm, with reception to follow - traditionally a sit down meal with party thereafter; there may be a second tranch of guests invited to the party that follows the meal. Course, there's much more variance in levels of formality seeping in, not only as seocnd marriages become more common but as the norm now is to marry later (if memory serves the average age for a first marriage in the UK is now 32), and with tougher economic circumstances kicking in for many, we're starting to see things vary. One of the more fun receptions I've been to was Halloween themed (they kept the ceremony 'straight', then went full on for the reception party).
yeah... sounds like things are very different in each of our geographical locations

KarlCrow

One Too Many
here is pretty much the same as the UK. Anyone I know who's gone over there for a wedding is often amazed that weddings can be in the morning, and receptions the same evening. Not a particularly bright thing to do leaving Irish people to their own devices for six hours ostensibly between having a few drinks here and a few drinks there. I mean my brother was at one wedding where the groom's father had been arrested, slept it off in a cell, and passed a sober test before the reception had even got underway.

Edward

Bartender
here is pretty much the same as the UK. Anyone I know who's gone over there for a wedding is often amazed that weddings can be in the morning, and receptions the same evening. Not a particularly bright thing to do leaving Irish people to their own devices for six hours ostensibly between having a few drinks here and a few drinks there. I mean my brother was at one wedding where the groom's father had been arrested, slept it off in a cell, and passed a sober test before the reception had even got underway.

It can get even ropier if the hosts are daft enough to fund the bar!

littlewing6283

New in Town
Hello folks

Newbie on my hat journey. Got into them mainly 3 weeks ago because baseball caps just don't go with everything [emoji3]

So far I've got 2 style masters 2 camp drafts and a cattleman incoming. Also picked up a Truffaux Panama hat

Did my first bash on the cattleman maybe I need to get used to it but it seems really tall. I know the cattleman has an even larger brim so I'm getting a tad nervous.

Fit seems ok on this campdraft though

Thoughts ?

IMG_2354.JPG
IMG_2355.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails