Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
I understand the frustration of working with thick felt, but it can be done. The tea kettle's probably not going to put out enough steam like a professional hat steamer to accomplish the crease you want, especially with thicker felt. I dabble in converting western hats to fedoras, (talk about thick).
I get my hats damp, (but not soaked), with water from a spray bottle. You only want to get your hat damp enough to mold it. Here's a couple of hats I did that way. Anyone familiar with Resistol Stagecoaches can tell how thick the felt is on those....your modern Whippet's not going to be as thick as these Resistols

Tallboy_Silverbelly_3.jpg

Chestnut_SC_Conversion_6.jpg
Your work is nothing short of phenomenal sir! I have not been here very long but I have seen some of your conversions and wow is all I can say! Your attention to detail is spot on and they have all looked amazing.

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
I hope it's ok that I ask this on this thread but I have a chance to purchase one of these hats and thought I would ask the advice of you wise fellows. Bob Roberts had shown a photo of his Stetsonian (what I really wanted) the other day that looked great and prompted me to contact the Stetson Outlet as that was where he purchased his. Sadly they were out of that model in my size however they had a Premiere Whippet as you all are discussing. It is in Sage and will be $64.99 plus $20 S&H. This seems like a pretty decent price for my first project in blocking an open crown hat. To buy or not to buy gentleman that is the question, lol. What are some of your thoughts?

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I hope it's ok that I ask this on this thread but I have a chance to purchase one of these hats and thought I would ask the advice of you wise fellows. Bob Roberts had shown a photo of his Stetsonian (what I really wanted) the other day that looked great and prompted me to contact the Stetson Outlet as that was where he purchased his. Sadly they were out of that model in my size however they had a Premiere Whippet as you all are discussing. It is in Sage and will be $64.99 plus $20 S&H. This seems like a pretty decent price for my first project in blocking an open crown hat. To buy or not to buy gentleman that is the question, lol. What are some of your thoughts?
Buy it NOW! They will inspect the hat and tell you what (if anything) is wrong with it.

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
....and SAGE is such a nice refreshing change from all the blah tawnys and browns out there.
Buy it NOW! They will inspect the hat and tell you what (if anything) is wrong with it.
Awesome! Thank you Bob! Without sounding too ignorant, which I clearly am lol, what suit colors could one pair that Sage hat with? Again, please forgive my newbie foolishness, haha. :)

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Awesome! Thank you Bob! Without sounding too ignorant, which I clearly am lol, what suit colors could one pair that Sage hat with? Again, please forgive my newbie foolishness, haha. :)
in my opinion literally anything

sage looks great with blacks, greys, tans, dark browns ... everything

blues are slightly iffy to me ... but some look great with it

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
in my opinion literally anything

sage looks great with blacks, greys, tans, dark browns ... everything

blues are slightly iffy to me ... but some look great with it
Thank you very much for the tips!
Listen to Moon. Just do it NOW!
There will be plenty of time for experimenting and playing around with the COLOR CHOICES you'll wear with it once you get the hat. That and creasing it will be the fun part.
Tag teaming the "newbie." ;)
The deed has been done sir! :) She ships tomorrow at dawn. Well probably more like 2 or 3 in the afternoon but dawn sounded better, lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner