Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi new here. Is wearing a leather jacket basically an invitation for trouble?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That makes sense but also doesn't. I wish there was a international/universal measurement for mens and womens garments used by every decent brand out there.

I mean people aren’t the same size across the world. A small Japanese adult is the size of a western child lol.

TheBigTimeBecks

New in Town
wet jacket from snow or rain won't ruin it, I wash all my jackets without soap both in washing machine or by hand. I think naked hide will absorb all the water and become very heavy and even transfer the water to your clothes, that's the only downside, it won't ruin the jacket itself, however stain from oil is a real risk for naked hide, oil like mayonaise, etc will stain it, while varnished jacket would slide it off
You are a braver man than me. I don't think I can ever put a leather jacket in washing machine.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
You are a braver man than me. I don't think I can ever put a leather jacket in washing machine.
many here do, and leather was tumbled wet for hours on end to soften and color it through, some designer brands also wash their finished jackets in industrial washing machine to give effect not too different than jeans factory, washing it is just giving it helping hand to show more character and grains.

CombatWombat

Familiar Face
I tend to wear a Cal Leather horsehide "CHP" or a Trojan (has the BIG D-pocket on the front with a intimidating collar) when it's under 28 Celsius and never had anyone try anything.......but then again I'm a 6'5 shaved headed bloke that looks like the person who usually starts bar fights

regius

Just Google the photo of Jeremy Irons posing in a Lewis Cyclone with dress pants, dress shoes and tux shirt underneath. Can’t get more posh than that. If you wear a shirt and tie under the Perfecto, it’ll basically become a leather suit/tux. Back in the day the cross zips were worn this way most of the time. You could help the noble cause of bringing back those images and help override the biker/rebel images. :)

Khilij

One of the Regulars
I've personally never had any issues with comments while wearing my jacket, negative or positive. Honestly, that's quite all right with me. Most people are too busy with their own lives to really mind something like a jacket you're wearing.

bn1966

Only trouble you are likely to attract is if you add leather pants or a patched up cut. I’ve been wearing leather jackets on two wheels since the 1980’s and over that time have briefly shared the same airspace as outlaw clubs with never an issue. Did get asked once if I was a stockbroker ‘roughing it’ by a banker….

Worf

I'll Lock Up
In real life, though, he is just a big likeable puppy dog. But you are right, once he pulls himself up to height and calls in the presence, he is formidable to strangers.
Dagnabit PC! Stop spilling my secrets in public! I had a long time secretary who said I scared her to death when I first started working. When I was about to retire she came to me and said:

"When I first saw you I thought you were the meanest thing walking on two legs! Only to find out that you're just a soft, cuddly Teddy Bear at heart"

Mercy...

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
One final word on the subject of "trouble". My Dad lived to about 91 or 92 (when he died we found he had multiple Birth Certificates all with different names and ages). He would never talk to me about "life" except when drunk and melancholy. He told me:

"Boy, ain't no need to go lookin' for trouble." You sit still long enough and it'll find you!"

Truer words never spoken.

Worf

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i believe in vibe, we all emanate energy around us, I don't know what exactly is, maybe that is what people call aura, and perhaps subconsciously other people can feel us out, I think if you are just being calm and being yourself, other people won't bother you, stray cat won't run away as you walk by maybe you emanate peace, not a predator not a prey not a challenger.

Nacho

Practically Family
Kangol indeed. Yeah, Mr., Jackson was big by the time "Pulp Fiction" came out. But that movie put him in the stratosphere.

Indeed. He's one of my favourites after Denzel.

Your outfit reminds me of Christopher Wallace - one of Brooklyn's finests. R.I.P!

Take care now!

"Lasti'lleverneed"

New in Town
Do you have to be a lumberjack to wear a filson or a trucker to wear a levis or in the military to wear a flight jacket. Buy the jacket that looks like it belongs to you wear it everyday and when it no longer fits you do to old age give it to one of your kids and it will always be dads jacket. people wear buy and live in great jackets for the hierloom quality and the broken promise that its the last they'll ever need.

Xopher

A-List Customer
I grew up around outlaw biker gangs, some of the really hard core ones.

I’ve never seen any of them give people trouble for wearing a leather jacket.

Only when the jackets had top and bottom rocker patches did I see troubles arise, but keep in mind those were patches specifically designed to show allegiance to a bike gang.

I’ve worn biker jackets and pea coats into some really dicey scary places and never had anyone say anything or start trouble. In some instances I think it actually deterred people from messing with me.
For example walking down an alley at night I’ve often been thankful I had a biker jacket on that makes me look a little scary instead of a crisp dress shirt which would have made me look like a rich guy asking to get rolled for my wallet.

I think you are probably overthinking it. Your concerns may have been an issue back in the 60s and 70s, but nowadays I think you’re at no risk of trouble by wearing a biker jacket or pea coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner