Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hidden Vault Discovered

Story

I'll Lock Up
We've had news articles on Thompson submachineguns, correspondence, watches and boxes of cash from 1929 discovered in the walls of dwellings.
Here's an FL fantasy come true -

’70s clothes found

BELLOWS FALLS, Vt. | Sam Haskins didn’t ask for a fur coat for Christmas. But he got six of them.

Haskins, the new owner of a hardware store, made an unexpected discovery early this month in the basement: a climate-controlled vault containing six fur coats, about a dozen suits, and some dresses and hats, apparently untouched since the late 1970s.

Complete story from the local paper -
http://www.reformer.com/ci_7817446

Jay

Practically Family
It's like a FedoraLoungers dream turned nightmare: "We found a vault full of old suits coats and hats! Buuuuuuut, they're from the 70s..."

Story

I'll Lock Up
Jay said:
It's like a FedoraLoungers dream turned nightmare: "We found a vault full of old suits coats and hats! Buuuuuuut, they're from the 70s..."

Ah, but they were speculatin' the vault was last opened in the 70s.. No telling when the items were actually made, and if the furs are in good shape they can be retailored. [huh]

Story

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
You had better speak to him or invetsigate further because we will want pix!:D :D

[mummy's tomb voice] Folloooooow the liiiiiiiiiiink [/mummy's tomb voice]

20071226_114902_furvault3-zps.jpg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I suspect the electrical circuits for that enclosed area were on the bill either of the store above it or one adjacent - and it would be easy to overlook the amount they'd add to a bill. You'd never suspect it unless you had reason to shot down everything in the store manually - without cutting the power - and then observe the meter. Chances are no one ever had a reason to do that.

But why in the world did they put all those layers of material in the walls? Geez, that's considerable overkill.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
You call that a vault? THIS is a vault!

Not being one to brag or boast... This basement is more of a gangster closet than a vintage vault.

Although, I didn't find any furs in my recent discovery... I can share these photos of the storage rooms. (Note: the first photo shows several overcoats and topcoats, along with the shearling/leather coats in the second photo.)

2ndFL-Room1.jpg

000_0061.jpg

More suits...
000_0049-1.jpg

000_0052.jpg

The style may not be "Godfather", but it's definitely father!

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Glad you like them!

Matt Deckard said:
Beautiful!

Any 41 regular three piece tweed belt backs?

Honest answer... I have no clue. Most of the pieces are WorstedTex and Clubman brand, but I haven't had a chance to do a full inventory. Aside from the belted back, tweed three-piece, any advice on what I should be looking for?

Story

I'll Lock Up
Pilgrim said:
But why in the world did they put all those layers of material in the walls? Geez, that's considerable overkill.

Yup. Kinda makes you wonder what was occupying all the other space in that vault, don't it?

ayerio

New in Town
BegintheBeguine said:
No light bulbs burned out in that vault? No one ever missed their stored coat? Anything is possible, I guess. I wonder who'll get to keep the items.
johnnyphi, I admit I like some of those crazy prints, especially the purplish one.

I know! right!?
wouldn't you be like "oh wheres my jacket that I NEVER GOT BACK!?"

maybe I'm just crazy.
bahahha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou