Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Crown Borsalino Fedora Hat On eBay

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I'm surprised the winning price wasn't higher. High-crowned vintage Borsalinos are difficult to find ... and that color (and even the ribbon's color) is also rare ... and the size isn't too typical, either ... and the condition is excellent, almost pristine. What more could you ask for? :)

Frankly, it could have easily gone for more than $300. The winning bidder was lucky!

Technonut

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
I'm surprised the winning price wasn't higher. High-crowned vintage Borsalinos are difficult to find ... and that color (and even the ribbon's color) is also rare ... and the size isn't all that typical, either ... and the condition is excellent, almost pristine. What more could you ask for? :)

Frankly, it could have easily gone for more than $300. The winning bidder was lucky!

Thanks for enlightening a relative newbie... ;) I have collected a few vintage fedoras, but have kept within a lower budget.

I guess I did not do too bad winning the bid on this one for $154.47 huh? It is a high-crown size 7 1/2 in excellent condition...

VinIndFed006.jpg

VinIndFed007.jpg

VinIndFed012.jpg

VinIndFed009.jpg

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow:eek: :eek: That is a damn nice hat. $154.00 is a fair price for such a beauty.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
That price is not surprising to me any more. Like Steven said, you figure you'll pay more for a custom these days that has the same quality of this old Borsalino. It was a good catch. And yes carouselvic is on this site. I hope that he posts some pics when he receives the hat. What say you Vic?

Cheers!

Dan

Pilgrim

One Too Many
DOUGLAS said:
Wow:eek: :eek: That is a damn nice hat. $154.00 is a fair price for such a beauty.

No argument that it's a VERY good-looking lid, indeed. Maybe that's why my collection hasn't grown faster...I have only one hat that cost over $100, and not much over it at that. The family budget won't bear hats in the $150 price range or higher....unless it's a one-time, planned-for purchase.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pilgrim said:
Maybe that's why my collection hasn't grown faster...I have only one hat that cost over $100, and not much over it at that .

Certainly there are many hats out there that are very reasonably priced. Some of my favorite hats I found for less than Twenty dollars. Time and a good eye is all that is required for collecting fine head wear. Look at what Dinerman has found. Most of his are fantastic.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Pilgrim said:
No argument that it's a VERY good-looking lid, indeed. Maybe that's why my collection hasn't grown faster...I have only one hat that cost over $100, and not much over it at that. The family budget won't bear hats in the $150 price range or higher....unless it's a one-time, planned-for purchase.
Same here.
And Loungers help drive prices higher, freezing the rest of us out of good hats. It's a rich man's game, I guess. I should choose a poorer man's hobby and sense of style.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I am the winning bidder of this hopefully fine borsalino. I no longer have a digital camera, I lost it in the war, but maybe I can have afriend take a photo of it for me and I will post it.
I want to let everyone know that there is some scaming going on on ebay on borsalino hats. I was offer a hat that was still being auctioned. It was a fair price so I contacted the seller through ebay to see if he had made the offer, he had not, but those scam emails sure do look real. BE CAREFULL EVERONE BUYING ON EBAY

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
DOUGLAS said:
Certainly there are many hats out there that are very reasonably priced. Some of my favorite hats I found for less than Twenty dollars. Time and a good eye is all that is required for collecting fine head wear. Look at what Dinerman has found. Most of his are fantastic.

It's so true. Ebay is not the place to go if you really want a good deal on a hat, but it's the only consistent and easy place to get them, especially those in large sizes, so I guess it's really a trade off.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Dinerman. Your right about ebay. I live in a small town in Kansas so my ability to find nice fedoras in somewhat of a larger size very hard. Ebay fills a need (or desirer) that no second hand store or garage sale can fulfill.

Lloydel

New in Town
I lost a nice 7 3/8 Borsalino last week for $285, but won one (less nice) for $155 this week. So I didn't bid on this one. One more bidder can raise an eBay price considerably.

Really, I have posted so I can see how new my Avatar looks.

Lloyd

Pilgrim said:

Am I correct in assuming that your dark grey Stratoliner is the "one hat that cost over $100"? That's the one your wife presented to you as gift, right? A very nice hat indeed.
Yeah, it's certainly not that those old lids in nice shape aren't worth the price, especially in light of what clearly inferior new lids cost. But it's also true, as Douglas has observed, that very nice old hats can still be had for much, much less. The bargains aren't as easy to find as they were even a year or so ago, but they're still out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR