Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Tea "Versus) Low Tea

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I enquired at a rather large Hotel about taking Afternoon Tea at their establishment, and was informed "High tea" was $35.00. I informed Him I preferred "low tea"... "Oh No sir its all one price" I informed him it was nothing to do with price "High Tea" is traditionally served at the dinning table and "low tea" at a low "Coffee table" meaning I wished to be seated amongst couches and cushions in the Lobby, Nothing to do with the sumptuousness of the food or price

wine-graphics-2006_1055724a.jpg

The three tiered stand is correct but not at that table it needs to be served here

610x.jpg

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
there is actually a wonderful place near seattle that, sadly, does not have a web presence that I could find. Anywho, there are two gentlemen who own a house together and the entire thing is done in antiques, the lower floor is open to appointments and they give people a tour which shows tea related history and at the end all the guests retire to the sitting room for high tea.

If someone knows of a website they should post it because I think many of the loungers would be interested.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Haha Binkie, excellent as always.
I wasn't actually aware of the difference but I do remember someone trying to fob me off with something to do with times.
The cake stand looks rather grand too, perhaps if the stand was high enough the couch low enough it would tower above some folk. I think I spy crumpets too. :)

GreyAndWhiteCat

Familiar Face
I always thought “High Tea” just meant that you would get a more substantial meal with your tea, nothing to do with what kind of setting you drink it in. Though admittedly the three tired is a lot more practical at a low coffee table than at a dinner table :)

According to the UK Tea Councils social history:
Historical speaking the Afternoon Tea was the upper class way of drinking tea. With biscuits, light sandwiches and lots of chatter and gossip. High Tea would be for the working class in late afternoon with strong tea and a big meal.

How the names pertain exactly to modern customs I have no idea, since I brew my tea with care at home or slaughter it all together by putting it in a thermos, and bringing it with me for studying at school. :)

Cigarband

A-List Customer
Hi Tea Hi Tea!

For some reason we Americans persist in confusing "Afternoon Tea", the Upper Class mid-afternoon restorative invented in the early 19th century by the Duchess of Bedford as a way of getting around a mid-afternoon energy dip in an age when lunch was seldom eaten. She established the fashion for tea and sandwiches by asking aristocratic friends to her boudoir at Woburn for a nibble, before extending it in fine weather to include a stroll in the grounds.

In London, it migrated to the drawing room – an ideal pre-cursor before the evening walk around Hyde Park. Because it was eaten at lap height, the rich continued to refer to the meal as low tea. The lower orders however soon got in on the act, but preferred to take it at their dining tables – hence high tea.

Here in Cleveland, The Ritz-Carlton serves a very nice and properly named "Afternoon Tea" on Sunday's. It is so popular you have to make reservations at least a month in advance. It is the height of elegance and grace.
I try and go at least twice a quarter.

swinggal

One Too Many

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
What Ho Miss Swingal

High Tea

A decadent afternoon tea for ladies and gentlemn alike at The Burlesque Lounge, with a selection of fine teas, plus canapes and petit-fours by the divine Clara Cupcakes. Dress to the nines, and have your photo snapped by David Woolley of Vintage Glamour Photography, plus enjoy a private live show by the Sugar Blue Burlesque showgirls! $120 per head.

That sounds like Fun, a Tad too pricey for me thats half of a pair of shoes!!! I went to the vintage Clothing Fair, held at the Burlesque lounge, last month and bough three items of Knitwear!!!

Pip Pip

Binks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou