Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hilarious New Mystery Book Series

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I am recommending a new detective series by Ellis Weiner, a humor writer.

This first book in the series is "Drop Dead, My Lovely." It is perfect for our type.

Here is the Publisher's Weekly review:

In his satiric first novel, humorist Weiner (The Joy of Worry) pokes fun at the private eye genre with mixed results. When Pete Ingalls comes to after being knocked unconscious by a pile of books in a Manhattan bookstore, he remembers only the hard-boiled detective novels he's read. He rents an office, dresses in 1940s-style clothing and hires small-time actress Stephanie Constantino to be his secretary. Mysterious, elusive Celeste Vroman asks him to find her missing married lover, attorney Jeffrey Litman. A second client, Catherine Flonger, wants Ingalls to discover if her husband, a famous TV news anchor, is seeing another woman. Blundering, naïve and inept, Ingalls nonetheless easily locates Litman, who confesses he's spurned Celeste for "class skirt" Olivia Cartwright, whose strangled body turns up in a seedy hotel room in the "prologue" that falls between chapters one and two. Mrs. Flonger makes finding her husband almost too easy. Breezy, often funny, this uneven book is rife with silly puns. When Stephanie tells Ingalls she's playing Viola in Twelfth Night, he quips, "Playing the fiddle while you're acting?" But there's some good writing, too: one character "had the pale, smooth skin of a man who went outside principally to hail cabs." Weiner clearly owes a debt to P.G. Wodehouse (a passage from The Code of the Woosters serves as an epigraph), but here he lacks the British master's sure comic touch.

This passage, early in the book, could describe many of us:

"Seriously. What's up with you?" (Stephanie)
"Come again, doll." (Pete)
"That. The way you talk. With all these 'dolls' and 'angels.' And these zoot-suity clothes. And the hat. This whole hard-boiled thing. Are you serious or what?'
"...I'm just a guy trying to stay clean in a dirty world. I'm a professional, and I wear what the professionals wear. Anybody who doesn't like it can send an e-mail to their congressman."

The second book in the series is also out: The Big Boat to Bye-Bye.

Both books are on-sale for CHEAP at Amazon.com.

just_me

Practically Family
Thanks for posting about this book. I took it out of the library and I'm reading it. So far, so good. :)

Jerekson

One Too Many
Ah, very good, very good.

This reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series...

just_me

Practically Family
This is not really a spoiler, but if you don't want to anything about this book before reading it, don't read my opinion.

I just finished Drop Dead, My Lovely and I have to admit that I was disappointed. Yes, it was sort of funny, it had a decent mystery, and it was a kick "hearing" the main character speak like a hard boiled detective from the 40s, but he was so incredibly inept that he was really annoying. I might try to read the second one to see if he's any better.

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
I ordered both from Amazon for a grand total of 75 cents plus shipping. I'm looking forward to some enjoyable holiday reading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy