Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historic Estates

Ryan

Familiar Face
Hello all,

Can the California folks help me out with Historic Estates. I really enjoy touring or roaming these estates. Some are just small mansions but a major part of histotry because of who lived there and the fact they were preserved. These homes are works of art set in a classic time. Off the top of my head I think of Pittock Mansion (Portland), Flavel House (Astoria OR) and the Viscaya Mansion (Miami FL). I'm looking for more in Calfornia. Sac has the Stanford house, Oakland has the Dunsmuir, Hearst Castle down south. There must be others but I can't think of any and web searches are not helping. Any suggestions?

Ryan

Familiar Face
I looked at the photos of the "grounds" around the Stow house and it reminds me of the Hemingway house in Key West. Another cool one that I need to visit, thank you.

Haversack

One Too Many
think I can provide you some:

The Filoli Estate
Woodside, CA
The house was designed by Willis Polk with fantastic gardens for the Bourne family. Their wealth came from the Empire Mine in Grass Valley.
http://www.filoli.org/

The Empire Mine State Historic Park
Grass Valley, CA
This State Park includes not only the Empire Mine and all the assorted outbuildings that a large scale hardrock gold mining operation would have. It also has the Bourne "Cottage" and gardens. Think an English countryhouse.
http://www.empiremine.org/

The Bidwell Mansion SHP
Chico, CA
A Victorian mansion built by John Bidwell, who did well during the Gold Rush.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=460

Governors' Mansion
Sacramento, CA
A Victorian mansion (and grounds) built by the manager of the Huntington-Hopkins Hardware Company in 1877. (The company owners had developed other interests by then...). It was later sold to the Steffens family and the muckraker, Lincoln Steffens grew up in it. The State acquired it in 1903 to be the Governor's Mansion and remained so until Nancy Reagan moved her family out in 1967. (When I worked for Parks & Rec., I got to know this building very well.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=498

All the other California State Historic Parks can be found at the URL below. Not all are estates.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/parkindex/results.asp?searchtype=29

There are many others not in the SHP system but which are open to the public, (such as Filoli). Others are still on active duty as family homes. Montecito, Hillsborough, and Atherton are full of them. There is even a Hearst Estate with Julia Morgan buildings in the far north of the state which is still in the family.

Another estate up in Oregon is Shore Acres State Park at the mouth of Coos Bay. The house itself burned down years ago but the gardens are large, lush and well-tended.
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_97.php

I grew up here in California and worked as a historian for Parks and Rec. many years ago. Let me know if there is anything in particular you want to know.

Haversack.

Ryan

Familiar Face
The Filoli is awesome. I was heading to Empire Mine last week before the Motorcycle accident. I don't remember them being connected, means another trip is due. I'm so excited, more trips I need to plan, thanks for the links. Haversack, could you send me a PM so I can pick you brain. Being a new member I can't see yours. Thanks.

fernande

Vendor
Viscaya in the Miami area is BREATHTAKING.

Not that I condone breaking "rules" or anything- but recently on a trip home- (to visit my "vintage parents"-) I was watching some old VHS tapes of family vacations and found this hilarious video my father took "on the sly" inside Viscaya because he wanted to capture the awesome Art Deco details inside- (videotaping was forbidden for some reason)

what makes this hilarious is that you can tell he's holding this video camera sort of underneath his coat- like some kind of super spy/inspector gadget and the cameras kind of bobbing around trying to avoid detection of the tour guide-
pretty unwatchable- but a few great shots of some breathtaking design

all for the love of art deco
ha ha ha

:)

Ryan

Familiar Face
I can picture a living room full of family watching that video, everyones head is kind of bobbing to the video. Silly they don't allow video or even photos. I was OK with it thinking they sell them in the gift shop. But nope, just a bunch of stufff that had nothing to do with the place. Too bad because it's really cool. Just means another trip.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Can we broaden this thread to include the rest of the world? This estate is in my home town of Chautauqua NY. It was built by Mr Packard, of automobile fame. It originally had 70 acres of grounds, which are now subdivided into houses, but the house still has over an acre, and about 100 feet or more of lake front. It has 24 rooms, and looks very authentically Tudor, but it's made of poured concrete, and is practically bomb proof, it's so sturdy. It was a white elephant for a long time, but was recently renovated. Last I looked it was for sale for $6 million.
Packard Manor:
packardmanor1vk5.jpg

packardmanorjw3.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Gamble House Pasadena CAL

This house was built by the famous US Arts and Crafts firm of Green and Green for Mr Gamble of Ivory soap fame. A masterpiece of the genre (that sounded good...;) )

Ryan

Familiar Face
I was looking for places in California I could make a quick trip too. Then again I've jump on a plane one too many times for a guy weekend so sure, anyplace that is in the US, historic, cool, and fun to poke around is welcomed. I'll just keep making my list of places I need to visit. That Packard place is sweet. My Grandfather only drove Packards then after the war he was bummed by the lack of quality of their post war cars. Interesting to see what he and many other enabled Mr Packard to live in. I'm always amazed that these places become white elephants. I need to play the Lotto.
That gamble house is sweet, I've seen the photos before but didnt know who what where it was. My list for Southern California is growing. I think there is a Wright house in the bay area. Anyone in nothern California know of a place? If anyone knows of a place in the US that would be fun to check out, please let me know. Thanks.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
The Carson Mansion, Eureka, California

This opulent Victorian was formerly the home of a timber baron; Now, it houses a private club. It is purported to be one of the most photographed structures in California. Just across the street is a Victorian known as The Pink Lady.

1086348575_f5a19ff833.jpg

1261452271_3c1423e743.jpg

VictorAtomic

Familiar Face
The Castle Green in Pasadena has tours twice a year the next in December which is great and features music and apt. tours in the castle.http://www.castlegreen.com/

Also some of the streets in Pasadena have great mansions dating from the 1910's near the Ritz Carlton Pasadena. (pm for street name as I really dont pay attention since im from the area)

Check out this blog where the user is attempting to visit much of LA's Historical places, very interesting and fun

http://bigorangelandmarks.blogspot.com/

ooh and DOWNTOWN LA is full of treasures, take the subway and go for a all day walk. :)

-Vixs

big kahuna

Familiar Face
The Patterson house at Ardenwood park..

in Fremont. The original farmhouse was renovated and expanded into a fine victorian home, complete with period furnishings. The surrounding park has an operating farm, blacksmith, horsedrawn railroad, and also hosts many seasonal gatherings (Cajun fectival, harvest, etc). This weekend is live steam rail fair (my Dixieland/Jazz Band will be playing on Monday:D:eek:fftopic: )

About 30 miles south is the Winchester Mystery House...a must see. Don't forget the Dunsmuir House in Oakland, the Shinn House in Fremont, The McConaghy House and Meek Estates in Hayward, The History Park (at Kelley Park) in San Jose...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The Captain said:
This opulent Victorian was formerly the home of a timber baron; Now, it houses a private club. It is purported to be one of the most photographed structures in California. Just across the street is a Victorian known as The Pink Lady.

1086348575_f5a19ff833.jpg

1261452271_3c1423e743.jpg
I think I had a calendar a couple of years ago with these houses on it. Fabulous places!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran