Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

History of Vincent Van Gogh

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Contrary to popular belief, the artist, VincentVan Gogh, actually had many relatives. Archivists just dug upinformation revealing the
following:

A dizzy aunt - Verti Gogh

The brother who loved prunes - Gotta Gogh

The brother who owned a convenience store- Stopn Gogh

His uncle, a magician - Wherediddy Gogh

A cousin who lived south of the border - Amee Gogh

That Mexican cousin's American half-bro -Grin Gogh

His nephew who drove a stage coach - Wellsfar Gogh

A constipated uncle - Cant Gogh

The second cousin, a professional dancer - Tan Gogh

The bird-lover uncle - Flamin Gogh

The fruit-loving cousin - Man Gogh

An aunt who taught positive thinking - Wayto Gogh

A sister who loved disco - Go Gogh

And his niece, who traveled the country in a motor home -Winnie Bay Gogh !

OK quit it! No "PC" here. It's a joke!

Mycroft

One Too Many
The uncle from Astrallia-Ding Gogh.
The nephew in the Beatles-Ring Gogh
The brother in the avertising buissness-Lo Gogh
The family dog-Bing Gogh
The son who was in an award winniing movie- Far Gogh
Thrifty shoe loving Aunt-Bo Gogh
The other family dog-Pon Gogh
...More to come.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Excuse the smelling...

In case you were replying to me there Mycroft- I was replying to the original post, not yours- although given the context that may not have been clear to you- and I don't know what you mean- if you were. And if you weren't, then don't worry, it doesn't matter.

What about the famous author uncle Victor-Hugh Gogh?
..and the distantly related Supermarket heiress Tess Gogh

Just Gogh, get outta heeeer. Gawaaan.

Mycroft

One Too Many
The sister who was in the United Nations-EmBar Gogh
The grandmother who liked to play games-Bin Gogh
The racecar driving son-Ready Set Gough
The aunt who wrote the dictionary-Lin Gogh

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Binkmeister

No I can't tell that you went to art school- but then I didn't so I might not be qualified to recognise whether you did or did not. But I don't think the correct pronunciation really sounds like a word, unless it's onomatapeia and you're clearing your throat.
Ptui!
BT ;)

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
BellyTank said:
No I can't tell that you went to art school- but then I didn't so I might not be qualified to recognise whether you did or did not. But I don't think the correct pronunciation really sounds like a word, unless it's onomatapeia and you're clearing your throat.
Ptui!
BT ;)

There are three different pronunciations of Van Gogh that I come across, and they vary usually depending upon what part of the globe you were raised. (Or if you're just a snobbish art historian.) There's the widely accepted in the U.S. "van Go," as well as "van Goff" and "van Gogch," the later which does sound a little like one is beginning to clear his throat.

bink

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Of course- it all depends where you heard it first and what stuck I guess.
I don't see anything snobbish in the pronunciation of the guy's name though- it is his name after all.
But I found this ridiculous thing for the sake of amusement>

http://www.vangoghgallery.com/misc/pronunciation.htm

...believe it or not- a page dedicated to it...

OK, I admit it, I'm not American, so that first comment was nothing more than a jibe... at you Americans....er... OK,... I'll get my coat... and Goschshksh...
Bye-
BT.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
What's really funny about the web page is that they mention Kennedy's "Ich bin ein Berliner!" comment. Unfortunately, what he meant to say is "Ich bin Berliner!" that is, "I am a Berliner!" According to urban legend, there was a jelly doughnut at the time called "The Berliner." And since Kennedy used "ein" innapropriately, what he really told the crowds was "I am a jelly doughnut!"

This is what my German teacher told me years ago, anyway.... :rolleyes:

bink

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
No urban legend, it's European history- a Berliner is what you guys call a donut with a filling- a European invention- where did you think they came from?
Here in Denmark, a Danish is called Wienerbrød (Vienna bread)- go figure huh?
And the Danish(es) that I ate in London are nothing like anything we have here.

I like the way this thread is goghing...

BT.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hotdogs are the glue that holds this country together but the Danes don't call them hotdogs either of course. But people are still crazy for them even tho they're made out of pigs' eyeballs and other types of pigs' balls. I like Hamburgers too... and yes Kennedy's joke could have been better placed if he was in that town- it must have been the drugs ruining his comic timing.. and placing. Lucky he wasn't in Frankfurt or Bad Homburg or Baden-Baden or
Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler for that matter. Limburg...phew!. I've often though about that- good one Hotdog, thanks for reminding me. I'm indebted to you.

BT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy