Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOLE IN ONE

hatflick1

Practically Family
Any Loungers got anti-moth tips?
Apparently, California has outlawed moth balls and crystals. Sachets I used to buy are no longer available. Cedar strips are largely ineffective, even sanded regularly as recommended.
It's getting to be spring, so I thought it was time to ask around...maybe call Martha Stewart.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
I'm also interested in any advice that the Loungers have concerning this. Now that I am getting more hats, I don't want to find any damage come next fall. :eek:

I did find this link: Moth-Tek

Has anyone tried them before?

Stoney

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
Cannot believe they have been banned.

California?? I can believe it. Sorry, you Californians, but your state government seems to be the most interested in meddling with peoples lives. Admittedly sometimes for the better, but meddling none the less. Usually the first to make new rules to follow or ban products for the public good. I just don't care to have big brother telling me what to do. Otherwise, Califonia rocks!

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
wldthistle said:
Might be a bit of an expensive option, but how about a cedar chest? Isn't that what you're supposed to put fine sweaters in?

You know, I actually have one of those but dang it! The wife has it full of, sweaters!!! :D

To be honest, the cedar chest we have would probably only be able to hold 4 to 6 fedoras. I would also have to rig a shelf or something else to allow two layers vertically. Bottom line, the chest is better suited for sweater storage IMO.

NonEntity

Suspended
I can see it now:

Californians nervously venturing into the ghetto to get a little baggie of moth crystals from the corner dealer.

Outlawing things people want does not get rid of them; it only drives them underground.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
NonEntity said:
I can see it now:

Californians nervously venturing into the ghetto to get a little baggie of moth crystals from the corner dealer.

lol :eusa_clap

Makes you wonder if the police raid homes for illegal mothball possession!

Feraud

Bartender
Mothballs have been outlawed? Wow.
Fresh air and light help keep the moths at bay. Try a periodic inspection and airing out of your stored hats.

Keep this quiet but if anyone needs some "stuff" drop me a line. ;) lol

surely

A-List Customer
I also researched this issue a lot when I first got into hats. Ceder is nice for the smell, but at best it may only deter a moth or two. It does nothing against the larvae which does the damage. Even moth balls do not affect the larvae. (?)

What seemed to be the best advice is: At time of storing, thoroughly brush the hat, especially underneath the ribbon where most of the eggs are laid. Clean also the box which should be as airtight as possible.

If you really want to be meticulous, check the hats periodically until ya bring em out again.

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
I checked, and even Internet sellers indicate that they can not be sold in California. Do you have any relatives in other states?

I recently spent $200 having holes fixed in my long wool herringbone Armani cost, so I was obviously lax at keeping moths out of our closets.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
This is from an article I found on the net. Looks like the cedar chest is out.

The best way to avoid problems with clothes moths is through prevention. Woolens and other susceptible fabrics should be dry cleaned or laundered before being stored for long periods. Cleaning kills any eggs or larvae that may be present and also removes perspiration odors that are attractive to the pests.

Articles to be stored should then be packed in tight-fitting containers with moth balls or flakes containing paradichlorobenzene (PDB) or napthalene. Neither PDB or napthalene will repel clothes moths or prevent them from laying eggs -- the vapors from these materials are lethal to clothes moths, but only when maintained at sufficient concentrations. In order to achieve these levels, the vapors must be tightly confined with the items you wish to protect. Effective concentrations can best be achieved by first sealing susceptible items (with the manufacturers' recommended dosage of moth crystals) in large plastic bags, and then storing the bagged articles in tight-fitting trunks, boxes or chests. Contrary to popular belief, cedar closets or chests are seldom effective by themselves, because the seal is insufficient to maintain a lethal or repellent concentration of the volatile oil of cedar.

hatflick1

Practically Family
Many thanks fellow Loungers!
I called Gardens Alive in Indiana, as suggested, and ordered ant-moth, odorless sachets which can be used in closets and drawers.
Indeed California is intrusive. And the state, with its busted budget, failing infrastructure and counties-wide gang problems, should hardly be legislating what citizens should or should not do about moth balls! Talk about fiddling while Rome burns!
Cheers!