Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Hollywood killed us all."

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
That was my favorite quote from Catcher in the Rye and appeared in my high school yearbook. Do you think it's true? I know I've been a closet drama queen, envisioning Hollywood-like sets and glamorous exits, etc for hum drum daily living, but it's been a fun and non-destructive thing. Reality TV is a prime example of people going too far for a camera.

What do you think of Holden's viewpoint? Do you think that movies have set up false expectations about real life or enhanced them? Is Hollywood a healthy escape or a means to living in a fantasy world?

Discuss. :)

Vintage Raven

Familiar Face
Well, I think it really depends on who you are and how you look at it.

For me personally I would very much like to see the glamour of 'old' hollywood again, as the media seems to have become obsessed with 'reality', and will stop at nothing to tear people down to below ground level to sell more magazines, movietickets, airtime and whatnot.

I think nowadays people have forgotten what, I believe, hollywood used to be all about; A retreat from everyday life, and a chance to relax and marvel at the drama and the beauty of a great story, with leading men and ladies who personified glamour in every way.

I try to have some luxury and glamour in my everyday life, if only it's the seamed stockings or crimson red lips, because it makes life just that bit more fun. Hollywood can inspire me to try a little harder to keep high standards, even on busy days, instead of just 'letting it all hang out'.

I really just use it as an inspiration and entertainment, rather than thinking about the reality or the political correctness of the way hollywood portrays itself, which would indeed 'kill' the fun of it altogether.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I personally hate "reality TV" because it is nothing of the sort relying on the cheapness of poorly starged production and writting to make profits for the studios. It screams to me "why should we bother to create quality programs when the masses find this horse dung adequate and we make big profit?"

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Twitch said:
I personally hate "reality TV" because it is nothing of the sort relying on the cheapness of poorly starged production and writting to make profits for the studios. It screams to me "why should we bother to create quality programs when the masses find this horse dung adequate and we make big profit?"
That is exactly how I feel about reality TV, Twitch!
I can't add even one more thing.:eusa_clap

A.R. McVintage

KY Gentleman said:
That is exactly how I feel about reality TV, Twitch!
I can't add even one more thing.:eusa_clap

I can. I also dislike it because of the way it has turned a lot of people into whores for their fifteen minutes of fame.

A lot of people think a whore is only someone who has intercourse for monetary compensation; not so. They are anyone who has compromised themselves for personal gains--and shows where you have to make a public ass out of yourself or dig into a bowl of animal scotums or cockroaches in the off chance you'll win some cash is certainly compromising yourself for gains.

The Shirt

Practically Family
What do you think of Holden's viewpoint? Do you think that movies have set up false expectations about real life or enhanced them? Is Hollywood a healthy escape or a means to living in a fantasy world?

I am older and have been challenged to say the least at having long meaningful relationships with men. I discuss it often with my BFF who is in the same position as I am, that perhaps we have unrealistic expectations of love stemming from "chick flick" syndrome. Loving relationships are much more work than what is generally portrayed on screen. Trying to balance what is realistic and what is not acceptable sometimes is difficult to navigate. Does he belch out loud - well yes unfortunately, would Cary Grant in a movie - probably not. Also I don't think I've ever been caught up in the across the room and together inseparably sort of thing. Does that mean that the current relationship I am in is a crock? Heck no. But somedays understanding that sweeping me off my feet is perhaps not what I personnally need or want is ok.

Perhaps that may be why I prefer documentaries and not so happily ever after movies to what is generally out there. Leaves me less disappointed - heehee.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
PrettySquareGal said:

Personally, I've always thought the written word provided a much greater means of escapism. I think I have some rather Quixotic ideals and have often wondered how different the world I live in is from that of my neighbour's.

Reality TV is probably a whole other can of roaches and scrotums... I guess it's a kind of escapism. But I don't think it really adds to any kind of personal fantasy world that removes you from real life. Besides that hour you have spent watching it taking you from friends and family.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
In some cases, a movie can change your entire perspective on life. There have been many movies I've seen that have given me a better outlook on life. Certain films that project the past or the future make us really wonder what it will be or was like. Films that question certain issues like An Inconvenient Truth and one's that examine various historical events teach us. Big movies like King Kong (the original) or Spiderman are for our entertainment. But a motion picture is a very powerful tool. It can change people, create events, good or bad (example: Birth of a Nation).

A painting or a photo, a book or an article can make a statement, but a movie is all of that bundled together. Movies like the Indiana Jones & Star Wars Trilogies, created a community of fans that live their life based on what they saw on screen (Club Obi-Wan anyone?). It created popular toys, books, magazines. Not every movie star is a role model but some of them are and were. Television has had similar effects on people. But like those big movies, reality programs and some regular television shows are just for our enjoyment. They aren't interested in changing the world. But with every positive thing, there's a negative side to it. It's like a car. It takes us places, but if we crash it, we have to pay for the repairs, or somebody does. We just have to live with that.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As long as there's been mass media, there's been those willing to make fools of themselves for a few bucks -- many of the radio game shows of the late forties were as crass and demeaning in the context of their era as today's reality "entertainment" is in modern times. But I think the difference is the need for so-called pushing of the envelope: crassness has become an end in itself rather than a side-effect, and there's an accompanying note of real cruelty mixed in. People had to do humiliating stunts on "Truth Or Consequences" in 1947 in order to win a set of dishes or a deep-freeze, but there wasn't this vicious drooling-jackal sensibility on the part of the audience that wanted to see them fail as miserably as possible. It's the whole need for "extreme" stimulation that's helped to make us this way -- Hollywood's certainly part of the problem, but it goes a lot deeper than that, all the way into the zeitgeist of our times. Hollywood's just giving the people what they want.

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Personally I think that YOU have the responsibility to CREATE your own reality. If you borrow bits and pieces from here and there, thats fine as long as you dont loose your self. As a phenomena golden era appeals to me, and the modern one not so much. The later is too focused on the $$$$

Paris Hilton getting out of a car without panties, maby will influence a lot of young girls to buy her brand goods (pure capitalism and you are just buying her empty ego). But seeing, say Christian Bale in a film, now that is filmart (storytelling, acting, directing. and yes you pay for it). The flipside is that Hollywood style films, tends to swallow up foreign waves of incredible film art wich is a *?&%€ shame. But hey Im a sucker for Iron man, batman too!

Just for your interest:
I am starring in a documentary that will be shot IN hollywood. Its called "The Escape to Hollywood". The film has much to do with the escapism thing, how much we are in control of our own reality, and the love for the vintage era (wich seems dangerously deep in L.A.). I will slip a note here when its done, it might hit a documentary festival near you :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I do think mass media has changed us - in this way: we're more about image then we have ever been, and there are fewer images to choose from if you really want to reach people.

In particular the spectrum of widely acceptable masculine role models is too narrow. For too many men, if you don't conform to a certain burly, red-plaid appearance, whoever you are or whatever you do just doesn't read "manly" anymore.

Look at how our police departments have changed their own image from gritty public servants to some sort of high-tech authority that seems to be preparing for mythic supervillains.

In many ways reality has become a juiced-up myth meant to sell product or ideas, and substance is worth less than the appearance of substance.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Twitch said:

The Romans had the Colusseum. We have reality TV.

JimWagner

Practically Family
PrettySquareGal said:
Do you think that movies have set up false expectations about real life or enhanced them? Is Hollywood a healthy escape or a means to living in a fantasy world?
Discuss. :)

I do think that many people do confuse what they see in movies and tv with reality and have a set of expectations based more on fantasy than reality. But it's certainly nothing new, as has been pointed out up thread.

One of the things that attracted me to my wife (of 38 years) is that she was not raised in a movie/tv culture and is much more of a hard nosed realist than most women I knew or know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic