Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg and Bowler Reference

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Wow, Mr. Deckard!
On you, that bowler looks very dashing!
Does have an air of "Steedness" about it.
Good show!

Gee, I thought Ken Geshabuya wore a top hat not a bowler in that movie. Maybe I can get a friend of mine to ask him when he sees him next time. Yes, Ken is still around as far as we know. ;)
Churchill was well known for wearing the Cambridge Bowler that is for sure. I just can't see it very well in that picture.

Regards to all,

J

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Gee, I thought Ken Geshabuya wore a top hat not a bowler in that movie. Maybe I can get a friend of mine to ask him when he sees him next time. Yes, Ken is still around as far as we know. ;)

??? I thought Harold Sakata was the name of the gentleman who played Odd Job. He died in 1982. :confused:

Brad

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'm still looking for a hatter that can make a true untapered bowler like the one I'm wearing in my photo. I'm wondering where all the true bowler blocks went, All the modern versions I see are done on tapered blocks. I need to take some closer pics of my bowler so you can see how they used to sharply turn the edge in on itself with the ribbon over the felt... I haven't seen a hat come close to the old style bowler edge that was common up until the 60's.

Lance

New in Town
Bowler

Matt,

What do you wear with your Bowler on days you wear it to work?

Also, I have had little luck finding a vintage Bowler on ebay in my size. Of the outfits making Bowlers presently, which would you recommend?

Sincerely,

Lance

Wild Root

Gone Home
musicbox5bm.jpg

They can also be worn with work clothes :cheers1:

Root.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Where would be the best place to get a leather sweathband restitched, on a vintage derby. (The leather band is in excellent shape, just the stitching is coming undone)

I have my Grandfather's old derby, which has what looks like (JGR Co.) on the lining. (Not sure of the age, perhaps 40's or earlier maybe)

Hoss

Suspended
Repair sweat band:
Mike Bowling : 580-759-2131
Roy Jackson: 208-756-6444
Jim Wittington : 801-977-0676
Larry Waller: 262-882-6006
Jack Wadrip 214-946-1847

Absinthe_1900 said:
Where would be the best place to get a leather sweathband restitched, on a vintage derby. (The leather band is in excellent shape, just the stitching is coming undone)

I have my Grandfather's old derby, which has what looks like (JGR Co.) on the lining. (Not sure of the age, perhaps 40's or earlier maybe)

I guess I am a lucky guy. I drafted my wife to do it.
I was considering doing it myself but all she had to do was see me with the needle and---forget about it. :p

Regards to all,

J

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love the bow on the Jolly Rounder and that
very wide brim bowler is out of this world.

I'll try to post a few soon. I only have a couple
of bowlers and still haven't worn the outside the house.
I don't wear suits much and haven't found an outfit
they work with.

Looking forward to driving through San Leandro and
seeing JP on a horse drawn carriage with that Amish lid
and beard.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Deckard said:
I pulled mine out for the Seaside ball. Anyone else have bowler or Homburg pics to share?

Careful what you wish for. lol

I've plastered most of mine all over the Lounge, and I'm afraid people might be getting sick of 'em. I'm up to five Homburgs, two Borsas, a Stetson, a Cavanagh and a beat-up Mallory. I have three bowlers, one fits very well, one's close enough and one's just too small.

The two bowlers I have actually have a bit of a reverse taper. I'll snap a pic or two when I get home tonight, it's getting to be time to get ready for work right now.

Tony in Tarzana said:
Careful what you wish for. lol

I've plastered most of mine all over the Lounge, and I'm afraid people might be getting sick of 'em. I'm up to five Homburgs, two Borsas, a Stetson, a Cavanagh and a beat-up Mallory. I have three bowlers, one fits very well, one's close enough and one's just too small.

The two bowlers I have actually have a bit of a reverse taper. I'll snap a pic or two when I get home tonight, it's getting to be time to get ready for work right now.

Post the pictures. All in one place we can see them at a glance. :D

Regards,

J

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I only have one derby/bowler, a veeerrry old stetson. It has a vent in the top, very small holes punched in it in a cross shape. Is this common? It certainly makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick