Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

I didn't even know Homburgs could be worn formally? What type of occasions are they acceptable, and are formal homburgs only limited to black?

In the strictest terms, a black Homburg is the proper hat for a dinner suit/tuxedo. Black is the most conservative color and the only one "correct" for black tie. A black top hat is correct for formal attire/white tie.

Other colored Homburgs (gray) are more versatile and great when paired with business attire when you want to add some gravitas. They are usually more conservative than a fedora.

As dress codes and social rules have relaxed there are more options available today. Homburgs can be worn more informally and most people do not wear hats at all with formal or semi formal attire.

I think a black homburg is a hat with very limited usefulness, but there is no replacement for a black homburg when the situation calls for one. Still, there are others who wear them casually, and wear them well.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Here's the Hat I asked about ...

s-l1600.jpg

Here's the Hat I asked about ...

s-l1600.jpg

I really like the looks of that hat. The wide flat brim is one of the styles I enjoy. The crown may indeed have been lower on that hat. Unfortunately, I got the impression that the seller wasn't too interested in answering questions. I'm still watching what they are listing, but I don't know that I need another black hat.

The black Selco fedora I bought from them has already been shipped to VS for a new sweat and a ribbon. I wanted a dark subdued ribbon, but something other than black. When I need an all black hat I also want the formality of a homburg.

MondoFW

Practically Family
In the strictest terms, a black Homburg is the proper hat for a dinner suit/tuxedo. Black is the most conservative color and the only one "correct" for black tie. A black top hat is correct for formal attire/white tie.

Other colored Homburgs (gray) are more versatile and great when paired with business attire when you want to add some gravitas. They are usually more conservative than a fedora.

As dress codes and social rules have relaxed there are more options available today. Homburgs can be worn more informally and most people do not wear hats at all with formal or semi formal attire.

I think a black homburg is a hat with very limited usefulness, but there is no replacement for a black homburg when the situation calls for one. Still, there are others who wear them casually, and wear them well.
Good to know. I may consider this for future black tie events. I have a navy Homburg, and I always wear it casually, because I just see it as an informal, versatile hat.

@deadlyhandsome that Hat has a good crown height . The Hatter is Jewish , and makes Hats for the Orthodox Jewish community . It seems his father or Grandfather is who made the Hats whose name is Israel Cohen & Sons . The guy I messaged with was a son or grandson whose name was Hiem or something similar maybe Haim , Hiam . I deleted the message . All the Hats I saw were Black , and of good quality . If I can find the Hat I was looking at I'll post it .
Tonak is very dependent on the Jewish Orthodox market. When I visited the factory back in 2011 I saw many hats being made special order especially black Velours. This company Selco is definitely connected to Tonak because Selentino are Tonak made hats. These older hats are interesting because the some (the Selco "Beaver") have labels that are similar to Hückel / Tonak but don't appear to be made by Tonak which is strange. I tend to think that they outsourced the manufacturing. My guess is they are from the 1960s / 1970s. Here is a Selco Hückel probably from the 1970s maybe later 1960s that is definitely made by Tonak.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...l´s-söhne-hückel-hutfabrik-weilheim/#entry162

I definitely would like to know the history of Selco . I think it would be very interesting to say the least. :)

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Tonak is very dependent on the Jewish Orthodox market. When I visited the factory back in 2011 I saw many hats being made special order especially black Velours. This company Selco is definitely connected to Tonak because Selentino are Tonak made hats. These older hats are interesting because the some (the Selco "Beaver") have labels that are similar to Hückel / Tonak but don't appear to be made by Tonak which is strange. I tend to think that they outsourced the manufacturing. My guess is they are from the 1960s / 1970s. Here is a Selco Hückel probably from the 1970s maybe later 1960s that is definitely made by Tonak.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-hückel´s-söhne-hückel-hutfabrik-weilheim/#entry162

I definitely would like to know the history of Selco . I think it would be very interesting to say the least. :)

Thats interesting , I like the Hats the Orthodox Jewish community wear . The only thing I notice is they wear them too small many times . I think I saw a JO Hatter in Germany that I seem to recall being a Huckel Hatter that was recent (10 yrs maybe) . It might have been from your blog Steve . Great finishes .

My black Melton beat my gray Biltmore to delivery. This was listed as a bowler/derby but it was apparent from the photos it was an open crown homburg. New old stock. With this and the Biltmore, all I need now is a chocolate brown homburg.

f22385a5b8a130c9087a0720d79d4059.jpg
99d9e5b88fe54d5559b6d124c7c92af1.jpg
2a9e1423954038ea7c73cf29d04afe4e.jpg
5972309129de53512de8ba4c1af72166.jpg
a4f15ad9ada7d07fa47a4f95e8986922.jpg
9cfaf81e171526467f7508cdb24c4439.jpg
fee46fc916d05e6d3633f6d9ab8b14db.jpg
164cac2f1730e3119ca93146e8ca814c.jpg
7cf9171e45adbf83b992c7be763ebf29.jpg
53ff2a521a5c682dc9a605f87f084968.jpg
4c48d9c3e4c4e8c7722cc3c16920d1d3.jpg

And after my last Selco sweat falling apart on me I've treated this one very gently, but it is apparent it is in sound shape and is 100% serviceable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice find. The Homburg Nation can always use new converts!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I think that's the one with the sweat separateing.I just wouldn't pay full price and then have to replace sweat.

I like the ribbon and bow. If this homburg is in need of some repair (new sweat), might be a deal breaker at the price. Although, hats in your size are few and far between.

I looked really hard , I didn't see anything wrong with the sweat of this Hat , its a 7 3/8 .

I think I saw a JO Hatter in Germany that I seem to recall being a Huckel Hatter that was recent (10 yrs maybe) . It might have been from your blog Steve . Great finishes .

I believe Tonak has the Hückel trademark for America but would need to verify. Hückel Weilheim used the trademark in Germany up to when they went out of business in the early 1970s. They didn't have any connection to the Jewish Orthodox Market like Tonak. I am not aware of any other companies making hats under the Hückel trademark other than Tonak and Hückel Weilheim. It's possible Selco or some other company has used the Hückel trademark but I don't have any information. Tonak made high quality hats / felt up to the early 1950s but declined there after. Hückel Weilheim made high quality hats up to their closing although they only produced machine formed hats from the early to mid 1960s on (which was the norm for German hat companies of the time).

To the far right to the far left and by the Selco trademark.Or are my old eyes deceiveing me.
I see that, the rest of the sweat looks to be thick without the separation. I think asking the seller might help, maybe a close up of sweat could be obtained. I still like this hat, with a formal center dent and a nice pinch, it could be a daily driver.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
To the far right to the far left and by the Selco trademark.Or are my old eyes deceiveing me.

I see that, the rest of the sweat looks to be thick without the separation. I think asking the seller might help, maybe a close up of sweat could be obtained. I still like this hat, with a formal center dent and a nice pinch, it could be a daily driver.

I'm on the computer and I don't see it . The monitor is 22" X 18" , so its big , I just don't see anything separating . Sorry

DOGMAN

One Too Many
I'm on the computer and I don't see it . The monitor is 22" X 18" , so its big , I just don't see anything separating . Sorry
That's ok,but when I go to ebay and mouse over it to zoom I see well.We'll agree to disagree.Also after knowing one member here got one of his hats and the sweat crumbled.I'm not willing to take the chance at full price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran