Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg vs. fedora

baskerville

New in Town
Yikes! Just back from a church auction and came home w/ a perfect Knox Homburg black felt. The wife thinks it too tall for me. Can it be reshaped into a fedora? Am I nuts? I think the thing is fing perfect, except for the style, rolled up brim.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
don't do it. homburgs should be left homburgs. Some people have converted them to fedoras and it looks bad. If it's too tall, you could always just make the crease in the crown deeper.
Let's see pictures so we know exactly what you're talking about.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I've always favored the Homburg; mainly as my mentor wore one,
and his sartorial style was such that no other hat would do. A fedora
is another preference, though not quite in the same way. Every man to
his own choice, but give it a try. The Homburg may win your heart.

MattJH

One Too Many
Even Kris Kringle wears a homburg!

kriskringle.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Gotta watch out for homburgs though. They are a half way point to the bowler. Next thing you know you will be sportiing a bowler and then it is only a short cab ride to a handlebar moustache and the of course it is too late.

Have you peeked under the sweatband yet? You might find the original price tag, which can provide a clue as to age. Or you might find folded old newspaper, used to size the hat down a skosh. Or you might find an original sales receipt or even a date stamped on the leather.
So you got it at the church auction, eh? Do you mind saying how much you shelled out for it?
Nice hat, by the way.

moustache

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
Gotta watch out for homburgs though. They are a half way point to the bowler. Next thing you know you will be sportiing a bowler and then it is only a short cab ride to a handlebar moustache and the of course it is too late.

Hey!!!Whats wrong with handlebar moustaches???:p lol

Handlebar

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
moustache said:
Hey!!!Whats wrong with handlebar moustaches???:p lol

Handlebar

Nothing per se, but then next thing you know you are sailing to Indya, drinking scotch and soda and playing cricket on the lawn.

I will assume you know a bit about the history of the handlebar and the clubs for wearers. Pretty cool, especially the guy who holds the record for longest one.

I read an article about the horses from india that some people think were bred to have their ears resemble the moustaches of the tribe tha sported them. They were excellent war horses for a tribe of fierce warriors. Can't rember any names. But now they are used in india as work horses. ut an english woman got involved and devoted much years and money to research, breeding and getting them into england and establised as a legitimate respected breed.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
that's nice. I like the thin binding.

The thin binding is unusual. Makes me wonder if it's one
of those "three in one" or "two in one" hats. Have you ever
tried to simply snap the front of the brim down as if it were
a fedora? You might have a fedora already! Then again,
the brim roll is pretty high, so be careful.

That said, I have a Cavanagh of that style, and it isn't quite
either a satisfying fedora or homburg. But that's up to you.
I find your Knox to be much nicer that that Cav I have.
Nice condition, too. Looks like fine felt.

If you are looking for peoples' opinions, for what it's worth
I'd guess it's at least as old as the 50s, just from the appearance
of the lining and materials used.

mingoslim

Practically Family
I recently picked u a nice Homburg

If I am breaking any rules or list ettiquette here, let me know . . . I am still pretty new to the list.

Anyway, I recently picked up a very nice, vintage Resistol Homburg in grey. Size 7 3/8. I thought I might reblock it, as I do not wear Homburgs . . . But have since been warned off from trying to make a fedora from a Homburg.

Anyone out there who might be interested in a swap? I like C-Crown fedoras, and would be happy to arrange a trade . . .

If not, I will probably e-Bay it soon . . .

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
My 2 cents

baskerville said:
Yikes! Just back from a church auction and came home w/ a perfect Knox Homburg black felt. The wife thinks it too tall for me. Can it be reshaped into a fedora? Am I nuts? I think the thing is fing perfect, except for the style, rolled up brim.

Do what works for you, there is no right or wrong way to wear your hat. Simply put, if you are not comfortable with it, you will rarely if ever wear it. What good is that? I have seen examples of homburgs turned into fedoras with varying degrees of success. When I picked up my first homburg, I was less than impressed with how it looked on me. I put the steam to it and created what I thought to be a new twist.(I later found out that this style/bash has been around for a while) I have 3 more that I am working on for a friend, I will post when completed. This may be a style that you like, or not. Like I said before, do what works for you. JMHO
oh, darn nice hat, no matter what you decide to do.

MVC-422F.jpg

MVC-421F.jpg

Stetson20.jpg

This is a photo from The Longriders (1980) note the hat on the Caradine brother in the bottom right. I looked for a better photo, but this was the best I could find. It is a modified homburg, a bit of sadel in the brim and side dents.

long-riders.jpg

dinnerman, didn't I see one of your post that you did something similar? I found this on your Stetson Homburg thread.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=15622

IMG_3120.jpg

That's a good deal, baskerville. Congrats. If you take good care of it it oughta last another 50-plus years.
Love what Bud did with his homburg. Lets see here ... I have a pretty nice old black Knox homburg that fits just fine but I never wear it cuz it tapers a bit too much toward the top of the crown to suit my tastes. Maybe if I bring it down at the sides a tad by putting a teardrop in the top, and a fairly tight pinch at the front ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy