Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home decor

Amie

One of the Regulars
Hi, I will be moving to a new apartment soon. Can anyone suggest any place where I can find some nice vintage inspired furniture in a modest price range?

Thanks.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Become familiar with pics of furniture from the time and cruise Craigslist. Otherwise you are at the mercy of the antique/specialty stores.

Mike

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Google for things like '1930 home' or '1930 family at home' and then selctect Images on the bar at the very top of the screen. Think up some good topics and google them. Its amazing the kind of pics you can find there. You should get a lot of ideas from the pics. The rest will be a treasure hunt.

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Also, strange as it may seem, at second hand stores and thrift stores, the junk usually gets sold a lot faster than the quality stuff. Learn about quality before you make any big purchases. You may also find that the prices on the good stuff can be less than the junk. There is a LOT of real junk furniture oiut there. Take your time, and wait for the good deals.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Amie: Question. When you say "vintage", do you mean traditional neo pseudo colonial syle? Or Art Deco? Or Mid Century Modern? Because those are three very different things. You can get lots of VERY nice traditional colonial, Chippendale-oid stuff that's very solidly made for very cheap in some places. The deco stuff is more rare, and can get pricey. The Mid Century Modern will have the greatest variation in quality, because it's more recent, and there is a lot more left out there. Some nice stuff, but a lot of real cheesy stuff, as well.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
DHermann raises a valid point. "Vintage" can mean anything from Edwardian all the way to the 1950s. You may have to be more specific in what style you're after.

Albert.Tatlock

Familiar Face
I found a very nice Art Deco style armchair abandoned on the street, its a cheap copy of a classic design, probably made in the late 1980's I saw it near my local railway station I went past it a few times, and when I got home tonight i changed into my shorts and sneakers and went back to see if it was still there, and it was so I pushed it home, three streets, it should clean up very well, there is a small area of damage to one arm but i can drape a nice 'throw' over that, its nice to think this piece wont end up as land fill, the picture is of a Ralph Lauren reproduction of a Jean Paul Frank original, so its a copy of a copy of an original

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy