Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Delivery of Ice, Milk, Laundry, etc.

mdove

Familiar Face
I remember milk delivery to my grandmother in Findlay, OH. Her milk was delivered by San-A-Pur dairy. San-A-Pur was the last dairy in the country to have horse drawn milk wagons. The horse would not stop. The milk man would walk back and forth between the wagon and the houses on his route. He wore a white uniform...it was pretty neat. I grew up in ND and we had home delivery, and had to get it out of the cooler quick in the winter or it would freeze. We got milk, OJ and I think butter. We also got mail delivered two times per day.

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
I remember my grandparents house in Detroit had one of those doors for the milk man to make his deliveries. My neighbor gets ice cream delivered to his house. The local supermarket has a delivery service but I never see them on the road.

As for people who take junk, my neighbor had a sign that said "FREE" on his stuff. Nobody touched it. I suggested he put a price tag on it. It was gone in less than an hour.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Growing up in the 70s and 80s we had home milk delivery and dry cleaning pick up and delivery in Burlington, Ontario. We even had a city transit service called "Dial-a-Bus" where you called the transit service like a cab, and a small bus came to your door to pick you up!

I missed this back when it was posted. Here in rural Ohio the counties have similar service instead of regular bus routes. You call them up, tell them where you are and where you want to go and they come and transport you. No idea what it costs, though, and you do have to plan in advance to make sure you make it on time if you've got an appointment. Some of the students at one of the campuses I support use it to get to and from school.

Cheers,
Tom

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
My grandfather was The Egg Man in our neighborhood for 40 years or so. He raised chickens on his farm, gathered and sorted them in his basement. You could buy eggs at their house and he delivered eggs around the neighborhood along with vegatables that he grew.
I remember helping him sort eggs in the basement in the 1970s. It was a big but pretty simple machine, it divided the eggs by size down into different section, I helped box them.
He retired in his 70s in the mid 1980s. He was a very friendly person and he really enjoyed delivering to people. I remember he broke his leg and another time he had surgery but still went on his route - he stayed in the car and my grandmom did all the running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy