Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Economics

MissQueenie

Practically Family
While looking up recipes for infinitely clever uses for leftover lamb roast (Still looking -- suggestions welcome!), I decided to try searching for "Home Economics" and turned up a project maintained by Cornell: http://hearth.library.cornell.edu/

It contains a really amazing selection of books that have been digitized, all relating in some capacity to the economics of the home, home industries, physical and psychological health, child-rearing, decorating, etc. It's a great resource, and I'm delighted to have found it.

Interesting. Those with slower connections should be careful of viewing the whole text. It takes a bit of time even with a DSL connection.
This is kind of interesting coming from 1918:

"WHAT THRIFT IS AND IS NOT 15

her, the cook will appreciate the thrift, otherwise she will continue to waste.

There is an old proverb of our grandmother's day that is equally true to-day though not as often heard : " a woman can throw out with a spoon in the kitchen more than a man can bring in with a shovel." That is because a woman generally does not realize that what she throws out has any money value. There is no more exacting business than house-keeping and home-making. Those wives who think it beneath them and unworthy of their attention simply show their ignorance of what it is. That there are so many who feel time spent in work at home to be time wasted explains in a large part why the cost of living has steadily increased. All waste raises the cost of living. What is wasted must be supplied in some other way. Had women handled the money in past years they would have had a better understanding of the value."

Regards,

J

magneto

Practically Family
Lamb, and home ec.

MissQueenie said:
While looking up recipes for infinitely clever uses for leftover lamb roast (Still looking -- suggestions welcome!), I decided to try searching for "Home Economics" and turned up a project maintained by Cornell: http://hearth.library.cornell.edu/

It contains a really amazing selection of books...
{{...SNIP...}}

That is a great site I haven't seen, thanks! I love home ec. books and manuals--there are some on gutenberg.org as well for free download too, in case you've not seen that collection (all pre-1924 though...available as plain text so a quick download).

One of my old cookbooks has a chapter, "Leftovers", with sections titled "Any Leftover XXXXX? Try making...." followed by a list of recipes. How about a... lamb curry? lamb croquettes? lamb kebabs? quick lamb stew? Stuffed cabbage with lamb? lamb ragout with lima beans? Easy to tell the era of this cookbook, I daresay :) Oh! thinly sliced roast lamb makes *great* French Dip sandwiches...

Has anyone here actually taken home ec in high school?

Etienne

A-List Customer
Hope I'm not posting this twice... but I actually majored in Home Economics and got my B.A. in it--back in the Dark Ages! I knew when I went to college that I didn't have a desire to be in the business world, so I chose this major because I knew it would be useful every day of my life; and it has! Home Economics at my university encompassed Foods, Early Childhood Education, Dietetics, Fashion Design and Interior Design. From meal planning to making clothing, sewing for my home, home decorating/design, and child-rearing, this major has been useful every single day. And I was able to fulfill my dream of being a stay-at-home mother. Not one hour of that education was wasted! (Do they even have Home Economics in college anymore? I'm not sure...) Those were wonderful years!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari