Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horrible movies, and the people who get duped into waching them....

Maguire

Practically Family
Fedord Spaniard said:
HAHAHAHAHA lol lol Maguire, you should do stand up man...seriously. I feel that violent way about some hip hop artists and celebrities. I would never do it though cause its against the law and i wouldnt be a gentleman if i did. But yea i know how you feel. P.S. why stop at punching him, you should throw in a few roundhouse kicks too hahahhaha.
Thank you, i have a punching bag downstairs when i finish school i'm going to start using it again. Woody Allen's face is going to be stapled to it.

I get that way when i turn the TV on for almost anything.

That said i've only seen a few of his films, and only ones with him in them. I think someone may be able to trick me into seeing a woody allen film if i didn't see the credits and had no idea he directed it. But then again i'm sure it would come out in the dialogue.

I've heard mixed reviews of gods and generals, most people hated it, but its got a share of fans who loved it.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Umm, for the roundhouses wouldn't it be better to bring in Chuck Norris?lol

----------------
Now playing: Basil Poledouris - Kaboom!!!
via FoxyTunes

hahahah lol Norris is a great martial artist and is in great shape for a gentleman of his age. But why not bring in good ol Jun Fan...his kicks were described as having the power of a car crash. You know what..I thought about it, and yea i think Chuck would be better cause we dont want to kill Allen. We dont want Wood going "O My gawd whawts goin awn in this forum...people are trawin to kill me". From the looks of this thread i should rename it to "Take a Whack At Woody" hahahaha lol

Maguire said:
Thank you, i have a punching bag downstairs when i finish school i'm going to start using it again. Woody Allen's face is going to be stapled to it.

I get that way when i turn the TV on for almost anything.

That said i've only seen a few of his films, and only ones with him in them. I think someone may be able to trick me into seeing a woody allen film if i didn't see the credits and had no idea he directed it. But then again i'm sure it would come out in the dialogue.

I've heard mixed reviews of gods and generals, most people hated it, but its got a share of fans who loved it.

hahahah You know Maguire, You and me should start a Fight Club..we seem to have similar issues. lol

just_me

Practically Family
Vornholt said:
For myself, I just watched "The Graduate" last Saturday, and I will admit I saw absolutely no point to the thing whatsoever. A drifting loser with no plans of any sort, a long drawn-out chase of a girl who should have known better, and the most useless, non-ending I've seen outside of the re-imagined BSG finale. :rage: Anybody else with a similar view?
Maybe, but not me. I love that movie. I think I saw it two or three times the week it first opened. Maybe you had to be there-at that place in time.

just_me

Practically Family
Son_of_Atropos said:
I'm probably in the minority but I didn't see what the big deal was with "Easy Rider." Maybe at the time it was ground breaking but I did not like it.
I haven't seen it in years, but I loved it when it first opened. It was groundbreaking.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Maguire said:
Absolutely. I think he thinks, or at least his fans find his behavior endearing but I think if i knew him personally I'd probably have to punch him eventually, he'd get on my nerves for being so annoying and neurotic. I saw Annie Hall and as I said... it was difficult. I'm from NYC too and I am anxious to leave, so movies are an escape FROM New York. A movie about a character i can't stand in a setting i don't like ... two negatives in this case do NOT make a positive.

I never heard of Radio Days, Mike. And I imagine, given the context, i'm not missing out ;)

Skeet- i am from Queens where oddly enough, most people don't think they are in the city. We often say "we are going into the city" to mean we are going into Manhattan because the suburbs are not equated with what we think of as "the city". Out of staters just look at us funny. I know there was a time when Woody Allen was the "big thing" or his movies were always heaped with praise and considered deep and substantial but i just don't see it. But that's just me I guess.
Im from Brooklyn , but live in Manhattan.
I dont hate NYC, I love it.
I like most Woody Allen movies.

One day you should consider checking out Sweet & Lowdown.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_and_Lowdown
Its set in Chicago & California not NYC.
And it stars Sean Penn as a `30s jazz guitarist.
Sweet_lowdown_moviep.jpg

dr greg

One Too Many
failed to graduate

Vornholt said:
For myself, I just watched "The Graduate" last Saturday, and I will admit I saw absolutely no point to the thing whatsoever. A drifting loser with no plans of any sort, a long drawn-out chase of a girl who should have known better, and the most useless, non-ending I've seen outside of the re-imagined BSG finale. :rage: Anybody else with a similar view?

Exactly, what was the point, I guess it's like that Catcher in the Rye thing, big fuss then, but to read it now, WTF?, boring, pointless and a complete waste of brainspace, who cares, but maybe at the time.....I guess you had to be there, like EASY RIDER, and yeah, it still looks good to me, but I saw it when it came out and remember the cultural effect it had, someone younger...probably not.

There are films that hold up well and others that don't. As to Easy Rider or the Graduate these are films that are the product of their time and were pivitol films ushering a change in film making and subject matter as well as the point of view towards good guys and bad guys in the subjective eye. Just as 70's explotation films are a bit rocky to watch because of the portrayal of common people- (did anyone actually speak that way?!) while the moral base or attitudes of that time as seen in the films often don't click with younger viewers. If you were there at the time your insights and understanding are different than someone born after these films came out.

I watched the cult flick "Vanishing Point" recently and while I understood the push of the film, I can say you could not redo that film today because the context and values of today can't cope with those at the time of production.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
that's funny b/c vanishing point is one of my all time favorite movies...it is basically 'easy rider' in a car...lol whatever..

tuppence

Practically Family
Woland said:
How very, very, dare you!!!

OK, mu turn:

Betty Blue...

An utterly disgusting film.
The ending is a desperate copy of "The Tenant" by Mr. Polanski.

Prêt-à-Porter and The Player by Robert Altman.

Is it really possible to talk people into regarding these films as something else than manure?

*sighs pitifully*
Ooooh I'd be very interested why you thought it was disgusting.
I loved the Tenant , but the ending was disappointing.

I don't mind Woody Allen and I'm a fan of Eraserhead. I liked 300, but I watched it with a geek friend, that could make the difference.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Every movie every made about or set in Ireland. I get it - even though things are hard, you've decided that it's better to oppress each other with your rigid moral/religious code than to try to improve your lives.

Oh, and there's green in plenty of the world; Ireland doesn't have a monopoly on chlorophyll.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Lefty said:
Every movie every made about or set in Ireland. I get it - even though things are hard, you've decided that it's better to oppress each other with your rigid moral/religious code than to try to improve your lives.

Oh, and there's green in plenty of the world; Ireland doesn't have a monopoly on chlorophyll.

Well, that DOES describe The Quiet Man, to a "T"...:rolleyes: ;)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Well, that DOES describe The Quiet Man, to a "T"...:rolleyes: ;)[/QUOTE]

John Wayne is in an entirely different, awful category of his own.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Vornholt said:

Vornholt, I'm afraid you missed the film's hidden point: it advised moviegoers to invest in plastics. If our parents had done so back in 1967, they would have been quite well off today. ;)

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
The Passion of The Christ. A feebly-directed action film masquerading as religion.

And what was all that nonsense with Jesus falling and hanging suspended over a bridge? That ain't scripture: that's the 'vision' of a stigmatic German nun.

Well, Marc--On your first point: opinions will and do differ...I found it anything but feebly-acted. But this film is perhaps an example (ON STEROIDS) of what has been discussed re: The Graduate and a few others--what you take out of it will be greatly determined by what you bring into it. The Passion of the Christ is a film unlikely to convert those not already on the Christian bandwagon (which I am), but is likely to mean a great deal to those who are (which was certainly true of me).

On your second point: absolutely correct as to source, which Gibson made no bones about. But then, Gibson didn't call it The Passion according to John (or one of the other evangelists--whose accounts don't agree anyway), and he should certainly be as free to create his art from whatever sources he chooses as was, say, Peter Jackson during his tinkerings with Tolkein. Now, you wouldn't want to get any fundamentalist Middle-Earthers started on THAT tack! :eek:

"Skeet"

cecil

A-List Customer
Oh, I thought of one last night. I'm not the biggest fan of musicals at the best of times but the '60s movie adaptation of Thouroughly Modern Millie drove me up the wall. So irritating! The only bit I liked was the tap dancing in the elevator. What was up with Carol Channing's 'beat the bad guys with overwrought acrobatics' thing towards the end? Ugh. So silly. Not even good silly, just annoying.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i never 'loved' Easy Rider, but i can see how it was important.

i once asked my father what movies i should watch to "get" his generation. he gave me:

The Graduate
Easy Rider
Shampoo
ElectraGlide In Blue

(none are great movies)

----------------------------------------------------

i enjoyed The Passion of the Christ. whether you take it as religion or scifi, it had some great imagery and characters. reflecting afterwards i was amazed at how the transformation of Longinus is worked in. the 'everyman' reacting to something monumental was well done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails