Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HORRIBLE movies by Golden Era star

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
What about Ronald Colman in THE STORY OF MANKIND? I remember seeing that movie when I was young; boy, was it cheesy. It was also the last movie appearance together for the Marx Brothers (who weren't even together in the movie).

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Orson Welles in the Paul Masson wine commercials. "We will sell no wine before its time."

Though I did like him as the voice of Robin Masters on "Magnum PI"

WH1

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Aw come on! :eusa_doh: :rolleyes: That was another classic with an all star cast. Dean Martin and Sammy Davis were hilarious. lol lol lol lol

Yeah but they all got outacted by an orangutang and Jim Nabors.lol

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Maybe not HORRIBLE, but...

Pot O' Gold (1941) was kinda off. Not the sort of thing you'd expect to see Jimmy Stewart and Paulette Goddard starring in. It's a half-musical-half-comedy that never quite adds up to a musical comedy. The best thing about it is Horace Heidt's Musical Knights, who play on a radio program that Stewart is picked to produce.

It's said that the motley nature of the pic might have been due to another producer named Jimmy. James Roosevelt was both inexperienced and given considerable latitude because his father was then President of the United States.

It's got a certain charm, though. See and hear the Heidt boys sing about A Knife, A Fork And A Spoon. Leader Horace is just to Jimmy's left at the table.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beowulf67 said:
Orson Welles in the Paul Masson wine commercials. "We will sell no wine before its time."

Though I did like him as the voice of Robin Masters on "Magnum PI"

Orson's very last effort was an introduction to a pretty darn good episode of the TV series Moonlighting. It was a classy way to go out, he passed away a day or two before the show aired.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I thought Orson's very last role was the voice of Unicron in the 1980s Transformers movie...:eek:

I know I'll rile some Frankie fans by saying this, but being a fan of Rita Hayworth, I found "Pal Joey" a horid experience and one of the worst movie musical I've ever seen... *yucky* What a waste of time...

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Dana Andrews didn't do too badly in his final years, with one groovy exception: HOT RODS TO HELL (1967).

***Extra bonus point: an excellent turn as General Buck Brinkman in "The Loved One" (1965).***

Hot Rods To Hell lol You know, I kind of hate to admit it, but I do like that film. I think it captured Central Valley California youth in the 1950's and 1960's; spoiled and selfish. A commentary that few people wanted to admit was happening at the time. What the film Young Savages portrayed ethnic New York Youth this film portrayed the same ethnics in Central Valley California. Interesting take on both films considering the story lines are similar.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Dana Andrews didn't do too badly in his final years, with one groovy exception: HOT RODS TO HELL (1967).

So THAT'S the name of that movie!!! lol lol

I have this vague memory of it--I think I saw it on TV as a kid. The thing I remember most was the Corvette. If I recall correctly, even back then I wasn't happy with what they had done to it. :eek:

I may have to get it from Netflix just to refresh my memory!

Cheers,
Tom

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I LOVE "Hot Rods to Hell"! It has the feel of a '50s exploitation movie, though it was made in 1967.

It's available as a box set with Dana Andrews' other masterpiece, the incomparable "Zero Hour!" with Sterling Hayden. "Guess I picked the wrong week to quit smokin'"

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Mae West, Mae West...what were you thinking?

Here's a clip of the very, very old Mae in a 1970 film called "Myra Breckinridge". John Huston and and Raquel Welch co-star! Farrah Fawcett makes her movie debut! Rex Reed plays a heterosexual!

Take a look, if you dare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_vi_OsreNY&feature=related

And here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX6BM-myPqY

One more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9g3EFvWPko&feature=related

I thought Rex Reed plays Myron who has a sex change and becomes Myra????

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Sticking to the Clark Gable theme, there's a late Gable movie that I found appalling, others might not. It's called "Homecoming", with Gable as an Army doctor and Lana Turner as a nurse. The film is not without merit, but there's a scene where surgeon Gable spands a nice long period of time operating on military casualties, and when he's done his and her scrubs are just exactly as spotlessly white as when he started. I know it was "M*A*S*H" that started the realism in operating room scenes, but this particular scene was just ludicrous.

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
How about Magret Hamilton ( wicked witch of the west in Wizard of Oz)
I remember in the 70's she was the Folgers Coffee lady in the tv comercials.

Or Rory Calhoun coming out of retirement to act country singer George Straits movie Pure Country.

tuppence

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Sticking to the Clark Gable theme, there's a late Gable movie that I found appalling, others might not. It's called "Homecoming", with Gable as an Army doctor and Lana Turner as a nurse. The film is not without merit, but there's a scene where surgeon Gable spands a nice long period of time operating on military casualties, and when he's done his and her scrubs are just exactly as spotlessly white as when he started. I know it was "M*A*S*H" that started the realism in operating room scenes, but this particular scene was just ludicrous.

It was probably still under censorship?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy