Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

horsehide jacket - how long to break-in?

andy b.

One of the Regulars
I tried searching but came up with 500 hits and the first few pages didn't really show an answer.

I have looked at a few horsehide jackets and the finish is rather smooth and shiny. How long does it take the horsehide to break-in and lose some of the shininess and start to develop some lines where your elbows flex and such? Does anyone have any comparison photos of a new jacket in all its shiny glory and one of the same jacket once worn for a while?

I was thinking of maybe getting something in horse but if it stays shiny and smooth I'm not sure if I want it. No, I'm not looking for aging tips like throw it in the washer and dryer, but I would have no problem wearing it around my house for a few months every day doing chores that won't ruin it (I'm not going to haul firewood in my arms or build brick walls while wearing it, but taking the dog for a walk or raking leaves would seem pretty harmless).

Thanks for any info,

Andy B.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Aero FQHH Highwayman:

18 June 2010:

3.jpg

30 September 2010:

1.jpg

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
There's breaking in and there's broken in.

It doesn't take long at all to put creases on the sleeves but even a jacket such as this with relative flexibility in the sleeves may hit you on the chin when you sit down in it since the body is still not flexible yet and you might wanna sit down but it wants to stay standing up!

How is yours shaping up now, Griff? I'll bet it's come on yet further since 2010?

There's an easily searchable video on youtube of someone with an Aero FQHH jacket that is superbly soft. That degree of suppleness has to take several years of hard wear and/or some extra treatment such as hot water or sleeping in the thing and so on.

I have worn my Aero FQHH day in day out through an NYC winter and I wouldn't say it is fully there yet. I even wore it around the house in the first couple weeks and every time there was a rain storm i'd be running outside to walk around in it. It's getting there but it ain't there yet, I'm quite looking forward to reassessing next spring. Done stormchasing though, thank God.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
I own an Aero halfbelt deluxe in FQHH. Let me tell you, it takes dedication and time. Out of the box you can literally stand it on end. I wore it VERY intensively for 3 weeks and then it started yielding somewhat, not currently wearing it but my estimate: before it gets a bit comfy to wear you should count on at least a month of daily wear. Also: certainly in the beginning, take care not to wear it with your 300 USD white Armani shirts because the colour does rub off a bit (I own one in black). Fully broken in: years I guess. But I don't take shortcuts and anyway, I think it'll go on sale come the end of the year as it's a 40 and I'd really need no more than a 38 in that model. BTW: wearing it to haul firewood etc won't be that much of an issue, I think, the damn things enjoy abuse.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Griff,

Thanks for posting those pics. It looks like even after a few months the sleeves start softening.

Highwayman,

I checked out that video. Thanks for the tip on that video. That really answered my question if horsehide ever gets soft. I was worried it would be like cardboard forever. I don't mind if it takes a few years to really get broken-in. I don't tend to flip clothes like a lot of guys on here do. I still have the first leather jacket my parents bought me when I was a senior in highschool a couple decades ago, and I wear it often (it was bought a little large).

Xeno,

I don't have any 300 USD shirts to worry about, but it is good to know I shouldn't worry about babying a horsehide jacket.

Andy B.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The break in process is much easier for mid-weight horsehide (MWHH) than front quarter horsehide (FQHH).

Edward

Bartender
How long is a piece of string? A jacket you wear every day will break in quite quickly. One you wear twice a year, not so much. FQHH really isn't that unwieldy at the off - just wear the damn thing regularly and let it break in in its own good time.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
HD standing outside in a drenching downpour of rain in a FQHH jacket is a rite of passage. :D I would do it myself if it ever were to rain in Texas. ;)

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
You'll notice it getting looser and easier to move around in with each wear almost immediately. I'd avoid doing things to speed the process up like some guys here recommend imo. Just wear it normally when you need to wear it. One thing I think is a good idea though is to wear it gently around the house at first for a couple weeks before wearing it out, to loosen it up gently and reduce the risk of pulling any stitching loose.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Stick it in a washing machine - with detergent - that helps break it in. I've found that HH takes a long , long time to become civilized.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm with Sloan, wore my HH A2 out in heavy rain, got it soaked & dried out on me. My favourite ever jacket & now fits like a glove. At first I was concerned it would never 'break in' :cool:

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Cooperson,

Thanks for posting those pics. That right there was what I was wondering about. It looks like a lot of the gloss is gone, and it's showing some nice wrinkles.

And thanks to the others for the tips. I'm still undecided what leather I might go with, but at least it is looking like my fears of HH looking forever like PVC are unfounded.

Andy B.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Breaking in Horse Hide?
I suppose I'll just echo what many people have said - just wear it. If you don't want to take the time to specially break it in, or go through lengthy procedures, or you are afraid of wrecking your jacket - just wear it. Maybe a time or two a week at first, for short periods if the stiffness makes you uncomfortable.
I got my A2 two years ago and right out of the box I put it on and wore it. Shortly after i bought it, I moved to Hanoi - and I didn't treat it, didn't baby it. I wore it in the rain, in the fog, on my bike; I rolled it up and used it as a pillow on the bus, slept in it on the train, etc. Maybe I should have given it a wash in the machine followed by a rub-down with special heated oils; but after 2 years of wear - well you decide what it looks like.

Depends on the hide, for one thing.
Generally a couple of soakings (either rain or spray bottle), keep it on for a bit while you do some yard work/exercise your arms/chest/shoulders to mold it to how/where your body moves, let it dry a bit while you wear it, then finish up drying laying on a towel away from any artificial heat sources does a nice job for me.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Hanoi in winter is nice....but don't tell me you wore it over there during summer :) I leave it at my place in Europe, though I think for coming winter one of the FQHH jackets might make the trip to Delhi. Who's the maker of your A2, not many do them in HH I believe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24