Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide vs Goatshide

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
However, just to add fat to the fire, the dressiest of all my jackets is my snappy Aero horsehide Barnstormer. It is the only of my leather jackets that I might wear over a jacket and tie. (Granted most of my other jackets would be too tight:) )

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
HH vs Goat (pics of originals)

First is the Goat. Original unknown manufacturer (pre-war A2). Goat is like new, jacket is like new! But has more of a utility feel to it (a workman's jacket, made to take lots of abuse!). Hardly surprising that these babies are still surviving over 60+ years later! and buttery soft too.
NEWA2jacket027.jpg

NEWA2jacket016.jpg

Next is original horse A-2 (1942). Does have a dressier feel to it. This is in excellent condition, but between the two, this is potentially the more fragile and will give up the ghost well before the goat. But the patina in it is much nicer than the goat and the variation in shade and texture much more interesting than the goat. But the goat does look the sturdiest and one that will take most of a beating!
JohnChapmanA2II005.jpg

WEE_WILLIEPIX012.jpg

Justdog

Practically Family
Horsehide

Horsehide by Monarch. Front Quarter. Reported to be 30 or 40.s. Someone with more knowledge may know better. Superb leather for the age. Original buttons. Original belt
Had to resurrect this thread as I was not able to find a more accurate thread. Feel free to move it to a more specific thread if possible. Heaaavvvy!!

Horsehide1.jpg

Horsehide3.jpg

Horsehide4.jpg

Horsehide6.jpg

Horsehide9.jpg

Horsehide7.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
US Navy

Supposedly the U.S. Navy chose Goat skin because it was second only to Kangaroo in tear resistant! I have seen far more WWII G1s in good shape then A2s. Horse hide seems to come in far more Subtle shades of brown, which I like.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I have a goat skin bomber bought from LL Bean a long time ago. I seriously mistreated and abused it. It never "aged" or "weathered," looks like new.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Goat almost has to have sandpaper and daggers taken to it to make it look the least bit weathered. In my experience, goat isn't very warm to wear.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I like them both. Horsehide is awesome when it has grain, LW has the best horsehide IMO. I lean towards goatskin though. Avirex had nice seal goat in the late 80s, thick with lots of grain. I would love to see pics of Flights Suits russet goat after a few years wear; the hide, when new looks very sterile.

Orlan

Familiar Face
Personally I prefer horsehide. This gives a personality to use the jacket do not get with the goat. And that the goat is waterproof, I think it depends on the thickness. I have been goatskin jackets when riding a motorcycle ground and when it rains, the rain pretty cove. Yet with horsehide does not happen.

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
Goatskin for the summer and horsehide for the winter.
As for looks, the goatskin has a very nice pebbly grain and looks like its brand new after a few years of wear. Its a thinner hide and is ready to wear the day you get it. It does get softer and more flexible as time goes on. Nice classy look i think in leather. The water buffalo looks similar.
The horsehide develops deep creases, highlights in the bumps and a deep variegated grain in different areas. Looks rough and ready. More like the classic biker look. I've seen old steer that looks pretty indistinguishable however.
I think some jacket styles go better with the goat and some look better with horse but thats purely the aesthetic of the wearer. (See Jan Solos pics:)

kojax

Practically Family
how long does the horsehide leather to break in seems like my real mccoy jacket will break in fast the leather is not that thick the leather has nice grain not like my farhers a2 from gibson barnes horsehide no grain at all very flat. thinking of sending it back

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
how long does the horsehide leather to break in seems like my real mccoy jacket will break in fast the leather is not that thick the leather has nice grain not like my farhers a2 from gibson barnes horsehide no grain at all very flat. thinking of sending it back
I can post pics of my horse hide A-2 from G&B. It took a little bit of wearing and2 hot water baths to get the grain going. I thought the same thing about the G&B hide, it looked waxy and flat but wear it. the wrinkles will come. I will post pics tonight after class.

Dailypicker

New in Town
Global Togs

I have had modern GI goat and US Authentic horse. I much prefer the horse. Note that it took a good three years to break in.

Tom

I held on to a nice Global Togs horsehide coat for a year or so and it was the best feel ever..kinda like wearing armour..during this time(2002)they were getting crazy money so a Japanese dealer friend of mine made me a offer I couldnt refuse..although I find my share of great leathers I will never forget the one that got away.

kojax

Practically Family
how good is real mccoy horsehide leather i saw my a2 real mccoy jacket on there website but could not read anything on my jacket everything is in japasne

CBI

One Too Many
my experience with WWII era originals is that goatskin is MUCH more durable than horse. For looks, I much prefer horse.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
IMG_1660.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1657.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1652.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1653.jpg
[/IMG]
I agree with CBI on original goatskin. I have not seen a rotted goatskin A-2. Not saying they are not out there mind you. Posted are pics of a G&B horsehide A-2 two years oldish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy