Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hot Weather Hats

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hot weather hats.

The only hat I had for years was a brown Tilley T3. Despite my collection spiraling out of control I still stand by the Tilley and always have one in my truck for a backup hat. Camping, gardening, traveling, hiking, boating, and then to church in Sunday, you can not go wrong and will never look out of place. Machine washable, with a comfortable terry sweat band. I cant say enough about this hat.

Next I have used a Akubra for many years. You need to get one that is a lighter felt with grommets in the crown. I use the "Military" model for that. But there are lots of other options. Yes you will still sweat, and it may trickle down your face. Just a fact of life with a leather sweat band on a hot day.

For stupid hot weather and golf I have a pith Helmet. But I live in Canada so I usually use it for golf. Do I look silly, maybe. But its a great conversation piece. It also works good in the garden. fantastic air flow around your head to keep you cool and I have fitted mine with a terry sweat band.

I have only just got my first Panama Monticristi form Panama Bob so I can't comment just yet on how it holds up to hot weather.... But I can say this - you will have to wait. Just a fact of life. It takes time for them to be made up. But it is worth the wait. I will most likely post pics and a little review in a few weeks when I have had the chance to break it in properly.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway.

Johnny

jkingrph

Practically Family
I picked up a cheap mesh crown, solid fabric top, fedora style with a fairly large brim at Tractor Supply for something like 12-15 dollars for yard work. Mesh is a very open nylon or some other synthetic that lets air flow very well, so it seems as though each movement of my head creats a breeze.

phre7

New in Town
My choice has been ...

The Tilley LTM3 AIRFLO has served me well for over 2 years now. I have worn it for everything from mowing fields on a tractor to swiming with the grandkids. It cleans up nicely by hand washing. It has lived up to all of Tilley's advertising. I hope to never have to use the lifetime warranty, but I'm sure they will make good on what they say. I bought a TH3 for cooler weather.

I have straw hats and also a Panama from PanamaBob. But, for just running around and getting things done, I seem to wind up with a Tilley on my head.

Topper

Vendor
Actually I would go a Bombay Bowler Pith over a standard Trilby/ Fedora Panama, if you requirement is to protect the back of you head and neck.

The Panama I may consider would be a wide brimmed plantation style. Which would be good but I still like pith as a light weight ( thoughmore heavy than a panama) and also covers the back of the neck. Additionally having inside lining in green to provide a good shade and not have reflective underside surface.

pip-pip

Doug

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a white fedora that's made of woven paper/poly with a thin dark brown doubled leather "ribbon," and a wide-brimmed straw with a black ribbon. My question is - what do I match to my outfit? Do I match the ribbon? For example, today I have on an off-white skirt with a black top. Do I wear the white fedora because it pretty much matches the outfit, or the straw because the black ribbon matches my top?

Incidentally, I went with the black ribbon. But what would YOU do?

Feraud

Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I have a white fedora that's made of woven paper/poly with a thin dark brown doubled leather "ribbon," and a wide-brimmed straw with a black ribbon. My question is - what do I match to my outfit? Do I match the ribbon? For example, today I have on an off-white skirt with a black top. Do I wear the white fedora because it pretty much matches the outfit, or the straw because the black ribbon matches my top?

Incidentally, I went with the black ribbon. But what would YOU do?
I would match the top with the ribbon. I think...

moustache

Practically Family
Panama or straw

I like the panama/straw hats best.I just couldn't choose a well made hat for a decent price until i found this....

5-25-07-101.jpg

5-25-07-21.jpg

It was only $38 and has been worn almost every day since(due to our recent heat wave).

It is a Pinzano.

p81.jpg

JD

Mindraker

Familiar Face
Joel Tunnah said:
Uh, like this?

Hat---Reversable-Beenie.jpg

I have something similar to that as my warm-weather hat. Although it is "lighter" than my black felt fedora, it provides no sun protection for the neck. You need something with a broader rim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner