Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How are overcoats sized?

Uhu

Familiar Face
Hi!

Before I go looking online for a vintage trench coat, to wear over a suit jacket, it occurred to me, I need to know how coats are sized. Are overcoats sized by chest measurements alone, or do they take into account a suit jacket worn underneath? In other words, if I wear a size 40 suit jacket, and I need a coat to go over it, do I order a size 40 coat? Or a size 42?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been asked before-- my general search did not turn it up.

-Dave

Vince in Philly

Familiar Face
Overcoats are sized to wear over your suit jacket, so if you wear a size 40 suit jacket you should look for a size 40 overcoat. That said, when you are looking at vintage coats you always want to check the measurements

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Sizing is by suit size, plus Short/Regular/Long. If you're over 6' in height, then aim for long. I've noticed which I'm sure others here have, that true vintage from decades ago is a bit slimmer than more recent stuff. As Vince says, check measurements. But 9 times out of 10 you can just get your suit size and be okay, as long as you get length right. What's your height?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran