Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Come I've Never Heard of Cal-Leathers on FL Before?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
In all the discussions of various makers, I've never seen this one mentioned until just now. I think the goods look pretty nice in an old school kind of way. In 1967 I had made for me a regulation LAPD motorcycle jacket (less badge holes, etc.) and it looked extremely similar. And they're close enough for me to drive by for a fitting, which beats Scotland any day of the week. So what's the story?

http://www.cal-leather.com/index.html

Hot News Flash!!

Private Snoop Report: I was curious and I checked their address on Google Earth. An auto upholstery place??? Anyway, I emailed them for info. Should be interesting what they have to say.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Knox runs Cal-Leather and he's very quick responding to emails. I haven't bought a jacket from them yet. Part of the reason you don't hear more about them (though maybe that will change now) is because the new Cal-Leathers hasn't been around long enough for Loungers to have their jackets. His jackets also are very expensive and until recently horsehide wasn't an option. Cowhide jacket don't get a lot of press around here, including Langlitz cow. CL offers horsehide now so maybe that will start to change. But it's a $2000 jacket.

strokes1251

Practically Family
In all the discussions of various makers, I've never seen this one mentioned until just now. I think the goods look pretty nice in an old school kind of way. In 1967 I had made for me a regulation LAPD motorcycle jacket (less badge holes, etc.) and it looked extremely similar. And they're close enough for me to drive by for a fitting, which beats Scotland any day of the week. So what's the story?

http://www.cal-leather.com/index.html

Hot News Flash!!

Private Snoop Report: I was curious and I checked their address on Google Earth. An auto upholstery place??? Anyway, I emailed them for info. Should be interesting what they have to say.
Ive heard really good things about them and if their old jackets can hold up the stand up of time, imagine a brand new one! Also their jackets come with everything included Mouton collar, belt, etc. If you do decided to go in to get fitted let us know what color you choose I heard they do just about every color known to man!

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Wow! I like to think of myself as one of "the last of the big-time spenders;" but 2G's is a little rich even for my blood. That would make an Aero J-106 from Insurrection or various similar Lost Worlds offerings dirt cheap by comparison, which takes some doing.

Last edited:

strokes1251

Practically Family
Oh! I got one from them under $40 (it was a size 36) and for it being cowhide its feels thick enough to stop a bullet. I will agree with the bang for its buck. Are you gonna get a CHP patrol model from them, or are you going to get a custom design?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Oh! I got one from them under $40 (it was a size 36) and for it being cowhide its feels thick enough to stop a bullet. I will agree with the bang for its buck. Are you gonna get a CHP patrol model from them, or are you going to get a custom design?

I emailed Alan about my ideas for what I guess amounts to a pastiche of my favorite features on different jackets to see if they work together. I'll see what he says and take it from there.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
$2000 for a leather jacket? A fool and his money are soon parted...

Those Rainbow Country jackets are approaching $2k and I must confess if there was a local retailer I'd probably own one (of course my wife and kids call me a fool all the time ... :eusa_doh:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24