Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how do I distress suede?

music321

New in Town
I have a suede jacket that I want to "distress", weatherproof, and, if possible, darken a few shades. It's perfectly fine if the knap is flattened. I contacted the owner of Pecards (who was extremely helpful). He said that I might want to use "leather boot and shoe care" (link at end). This is a more viscous oil than neet's foot. We also discussed "classic leather dressing", which we felt might be problematic, as it has a vaseline-like consistency. We ruled out "waxing", since I don't like the look. I don't want an overly "shiny" look.

The owner used the shoe oil on suede shoes, and later wiped off excess oil. I wonder how wise it would be to use something like this on a jacket. I don't want oil to get onto other clothing, upholstery, etc.

I would even use regular old "suede care" products, but I have my doubts about their efficacy in protecting the leather from a misting rain. Mottled/irregular discoloration from water would be fine. Stiff leather and "water lines" would not be.

These are the sorts of effects I'd like:
Berluti-Artista-Oiled-Suede-Boots-MR-PORTER.jpg

23bc00_90eb1de9e9a84496ab239ae832f1b87d~mv2_d_2384_2448_s_2.jpg_srz_498_511_75_22_0.5_1.2_75_png_srz

This is a great distressed jacket:
https://www.therealreal.com/products/men/clothing/outerwear/distressed-suede-jacket

Also good:
Mens-Buffed-Lamb-Leather-Blazer-Jacket-40l-52l_20706617.jpg

This is what I'm trying to avoid (notice the waxy build up):

HHI-x-Dunderdon-Welder-thumb-620x416-40818.jpg

Leather boot care:
https://www.pecard.com/product/leather-boot-shoe-care/

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I have oiled a tan suede "Welders" jacket and roughout boots to effects similar to those above .. process was simple ... I used a std. leather oil dressing (Neatsfoot) and applied it with a sponge. You will lose much of the "nap" and it will darken significantly .... looks good though and darkens the leather significantly. It also improved the weatherproofing significantly ( which was the original intent).

music321

New in Town
Here's a
I have oiled a tan suede "Welders" jacket and roughout boots to effects similar to those above .. process was simple ... I used a std. leather oil dressing (Neatsfoot) and applied it with a sponge. You will lose much of the "nap" and it will darken significantly .... looks good though and darkens the leather significantly. It also improved the weatherproofing significantly ( which was the original intent).

How well did the oil dry? After a few weeks, did you need to worry about it getting onto upholstery, etc.?

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Some funny suggestions here...

Wrap a cloth around the head of a hammer. Gently hit the suede with the hammer to soften it. Alternatively, put a small, heavy ball in a tube sock, then strike the suede with it.

But may give you some ideas. I would think any kind of oil or grease based product may give a slighlty shiny look though, which you say you want to avoid, that said, the jacket you linked and said you like, does have that look.

Someone used 'otter wax' here with photos.

Stand By

One Too Many
You could try shaking it and then shouting aggressively at it as a starter, then, if that doesn't distress it, try being rude and call it names. You could even try being rather cruel and say "You're not proper leather. You're not full quarter horse hide. You'll only look shabby as you get older, not improve with age like the cafe racer I used to have. Now THAT was a beautiful hide ... but you? You? Pah."

Sorry. Couldn't resist! :)

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Would Scotch Guarding it not darken a few shades while giving you the protection you need?

I agree. A misting of Scotch Guard is the way I'd go for a suede jacket.
I have a pair of leather-lined Blundstone 585's that had the rustic colour and suede nap - and I put a coat of RM Williams boot cream on them to protect them and it totally darkened them and killed the nap entirely - and it gave them a great finish that I like and would do again, but they don't have the factory-intended look they had nor look like suede.
So for a jacket, to try to protect it from the elements, I'd opt for something super-light like an aerosol-mist delivered from a distance to minimize any darkening.

... but then you want to get that distressed look. It's kind of a faux-finish that you're after and IMO, I'd try to get a sponge abrasive pad - 3M make them or perhaps something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Non-Woven-Green-Abrasive-Peachtree-Woodworking/dp/B000H570DI

It replaces steel wool and certain grades will even remove rust off metal ... so I'd find one that's really fine and work it over the leather very lightly ... I used one (carefully!) just enough on my Aero C3 vest and it took the gloss off the lacquer finish just right and gave it a more matt finish - made it look more vintage and also "aged" the raised HH seams (which is what ELC do for some of their jackets). Gently does it though! I'd concentrate on high-points and wear-points first and see how that goes, working in random strokes, to give it a "scuffed" look ... and you can always use the Scotch Guard afterwards to darken the hue (shade) back down again if you like ....

Last edited:
I've seen some use neatsfoot oil on Red Wing Muleskinners and the like.
It all depends on what you want in the end. I've used Sno*Seal on rough hiking boots and it looks cool as well as some low German WWII style boots. I would not do anything sans apply some Scotchguard or the like to my RW's. I got a kit with a brush and eraser to keep spotting down, and a can of spray. They're looking cool, but still have the rougher finish...

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
I'm no expert but any conditioner rubbed in hard will turn it to that rough out leather suede becomes after years of use.

I recommend not messing with suede this way cause it seems far more unpredictable than say your standard black chrome tan leather.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Here's a

How well did the oil dry? After a few weeks, did you need to worry about it getting onto upholstery, etc.?

It dried fine and doesn't rub off ..... it did smell of the Neatsfoot oil for a while but it wasn't unpleasant.

I also treated the Oilpull HH facings on my worn Aero ANJ-4 ( these had a nap to them like suede) ... to darken them a little and dull / smooth them down the result was great a nice oiled leather finish. I used Renapur ( a beeswax and lanolin based leather conditioner)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have oiled a tan suede "Welders" jacket and roughout boots to effects similar to those above .. process was simple ... I used a std. leather oil dressing (Neatsfoot) and applied it with a sponge.

I am curious why you tried to age a welders jacket. Was it to turn it into street wear or something? I have a number of these at work, covered in welding dross and stuff. Just for a laugh I made an A2 style squadron patch for with my initials for the left chest to identify it was mine.
A few posts back I made a joke about turning a welders jacket into a piece of street wear with artwork and patches. Please don't tell me these are the next big thing in jackets.
I also have a genuine council bin mans donkey jacket, an item someone, and it may have been on here or a manufacturer, described as 'Iconic' for gods sake.
If anyone is interested I have a new welders jacket for sale, rough suede finish , Highwayman cut, velcro fastening only £150. I will chuck in some gloves that are extra thick for gas, Arc or Mig and a pair of kid Tig gloves. very stylish if you are just starting out(a welding apprenticeship)

I am curious why you tried to age a welders jacket. Was it to turn it into street wear or something? I have a number of these at work, covered in welding dross and stuff. Just for a laugh I made an A2 style squadron patch for with my initials for the left chest to identify it was mine.
A few posts back I made a joke about turning a welders jacket into a piece of street wear with artwork and patches. Please don't tell me these are the next big thing in jackets.
I also have a genuine council bin mans donkey jacket, an item someone, and it may have been on here or a manufacturer, described as 'Iconic' for gods sake.
If anyone is interested I have a new welders jacket for sale, rough suede finish , Highwayman cut, velcro fastening only £150. I will chuck in some gloves that are extra thick for gas, Arc or Mig and a pair of kid Tig gloves. very stylish if you are just starting out(a welding apprenticeship)
Size 48? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner