Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do tell the age of a hat?

PrinceHarming

New in Town
Is there any way to do that? It doesnt really matter, I just got this hat one day, it looks kinda old. It's nothign speical, but I like it.

By the way, I'm new here. So, hello!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Prince!!

There isn't any steadfast way to tell the age of a hat unless the inside markings include a date. It's mostly study of the eras and knowing the "general" rules for every era, like thirties being normally 5 3/4-6" crown with narrower brim ( 2 3/8-5/8") etc. Sit back & go through some old threads alot alot will be revealed to you. You'll be amazed at how quickly many questions are answered

PrinceHarming

New in Town
Why yes, I do.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

I got this hat at good Will for $3 when I was 15..so about a year ago maybe.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
PrinceHarming said:
DSC_0005.jpg

I got this hat at good Will for $3 when I was 15..so about a year ago maybe.

That style was quite common in the 70's and 80's. They were crushable and rollable, so you could stick it in your pocket when not wearing it. Pendleton is a long standing company specializing in wool. "Totes" and a host of other brands offered the same hat in various colors and patterns of fabric (wool). Their value right now is minimal. You paid a fair price. There are some who are starting to collect these. It's a way to build a large collection for very little money. At this point they are not likely to increase in value.

PrinceHarming

New in Town
Why thank you, I figured it was from around the 80s. I'm not a big hat person, but i bought it so i could protect my pompadour during the walk home from school during the harsh winter days.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
PrinceHarming said:
.. i bought it so i could protect my pompadour during the walk home from school during the harsh winter days.

It will work. (You might just find that you like hats enough to become "a big hat person.") :)

Topdog

Familiar Face
I have a similar London Fog hat that was my father's. I wore it just the other day. It started to rain lightly and I was glad I had it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael