Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you date a hat?

J.B.

Practically Family
I'm really not sure but I think that...

...Bond Clothing Company may have been the point of sale for some of the vintage hats marked "Bond"...?! (The sweatband logo script seems sort of familiar...)

Bond was one of those large chain clothing stores (like Robert Hall and Richman Brothers) that I remember going strong during the fifties while growing up in Kansas City. In fact, my very first suit was from Bond KC and I still recall being impressed with my shrewd judgment and perceived value of getting not one -- but two sets of pants to go with the jacket?! :D

Anyway, here's a few links for anyone curious about Bond Clothing Company:

FindAGrave's mini-bio for Charles Bond, Founder (and one-time Mayor of Columbus, O.)

Rochester Library fact blurb about their local Bond factory's demise.

Pic of their Cleveland store

Pic of their Times Square store -- check out their signage and also the cars on the street!

I know this doesn't help you to date your hat (I still recommend posies and a box of candy -- remember, it's vintage and it will think you're quaint!) but hope it's interesting, nevertheless?! :)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Har har, a word can have two meanings, so clever. lol Seriously, thanks for the links, J.B. and the information, Gene.
Welcome, jpbales! It so happens I just sat down from looking at my recent purchase of a Bond hat and any Google searches I'd done only gave me James Bond, which isn't relevant, :mad: when I remembered the Bond clothing store, and then I see this thread and thought it might help.
Lo and behold a Bond hat.
Mine is green, which is why I bought it as hubby's favorite color is green not that he's going to want to wear it. The imprint says Royal Quality and the price marked was $7.95. Executives can spend more money than Royals. Someone had horrible penmanship so I can't read what he wrote on the tag (looks like Ind. Spice) but the size is 7 3/8, a tad too big for me now that I've had my hair cut, and the lot is K54714. The old guy who died and had his hats donated didn't have his initials put in, nor did he fill in name and address on the perforated tag. I figured it was 50s or 60s and a store brand, even before I recalled Bond Clothing Stores which may have been before my time but there are still ghost signs on the sides of buildings. The brim is a jaunty 1 5/8".
Oh, and I dislike being given flowers, stalkers give flowers, give me food, booze and entertainment.

jpbales

Practically Family
thanks for all of the good info guys, the stuff J.B. put about the Bond company is pretty good! I guess that since the Bond Clothing Store was open between 1933 and 1979, that it would have to be somewhere between those dates. Any more info is appreciated.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
By the color and texture of the sweatband, the piping at the edge of the plastic area of the lining and the overall styling of the hat, I'd say somewhere between '52 and '58, but that's just an educated guess.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
patrick1987 said:
So, since no one's ever heard of them, I'm guessing these aren't $200 hats?
That would all depend on size, style, condition, quality, and the market at the given time.

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
Well, the style of hat on this thread. Is Bond a quality hat? We can see the other factors already. I know something is worth whatever someone will pay for it, what I'm asking is what is the market?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
jpbales said:
...I did do some research about dating vintage hats, and this is what I found from "http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/content/view/659/107/#hats":
A circular wire loop on the back of the hat to hold it to the head dates it to the late 1930s - early 1940s; while two 'V' shape wire clamps on the sides date it to the early - mid 1950s.

I'm having a hard time visualizing these two items. Can anyone share pictures?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
patrick1987 said:
Well, the style of hat on this thread. Is Bond a quality hat? We can see the other factors already. I know something is worth whatever someone will pay for it, what I'm asking is what is the market?

Bonds were pretty good hats, judging from the ones I've handled, they're similar to a comparable Lee or Resistol. Nothing terribly fancy, but they have nice felt, and are built sturdily. They weren't a huge brand like Stetson or anything, but they come up pretty regularly. Black hats don't usually sell as well, because they don't photograph quite as well, usually the definition is lost. The wide brim binding and wind string add a lot of class to the hat.

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
Thanks, 'man. I didn't want to ask for so much as to be laughed at but I didn't want to get ripped off either. It's actually the dark green 7 3/8 BegintheBeguine gave me since it's too big for her. I'll take pictures later this week at any rate; I might keep it anyway.

jpbales

Practically Family
Once again guys, thanks for the great info and for pointing me in the right direction. Most estimates so far have said early to mid 50s from what they've seen. I also just found a forum that talks about the serial numbers in Borsalino hats and how they can tell the date of the hat from that, here's a link: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=3314&highlight=date.
The serial in mine reads 83351, meaning perhaps it was the 833rd hat made in 1951? Of course, this is just speculation though.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
that system of borsalino serial #s only works '70s and newer, anything with the old style serial tags don't seem to have any relation with the numbers to dates.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Turner Classic Movies

Old Hat Channel = Turner Classic Movies (TCM)

Lots of old movies with lots of old hats... Check the dates of movies to help date your hats.

Currently showing: My Favorite Spy (1951) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043827/

Staring: Bob Hope and Hedy Lamarr

Plot Summary: Peanuts White, a burlesque comic, is recruited by U.S. agents to impersonate international spy Eric Augustine (whom White resembles) in a mission to purchase a million-dollar microfilm in mysterious, exotic Tangier. There, he encounters the irresistable Lily Dalbray, an "old friend" of Augustine who is now dealing with his arch-enemy, Brubaker. But where is the real Eric? Comedy thriller with slapstick climax.

rmrdaddy said:
Sorry bub, I think he had a firm hold on your trouser leg when he said that one...:rolleyes: lol

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
johnnyphi said:
Old Hat Channel = Turner Classic Movies (TCM)

Lots of old movies with lots of old hats... Check the dates of movies to help date your hats.

Currently showing: My Favorite Spy (1951) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043827/

Staring: Bob Hope and Hedy Lamarr

Plot Summary: Peanuts White, a burlesque comic, is recruited by U.S. agents to impersonate international spy Eric Augustine (whom White resembles) in a mission to purchase a million-dollar microfilm in mysterious, exotic Tangier. There, he encounters the irresistable Lily Dalbray, an "old friend" of Augustine who is now dealing with his arch-enemy, Brubaker. But where is the real Eric? Comedy thriller with slapstick climax.

I'm watching it too. Not one of the best films ever made, but still good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925