Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you drink your whiskey?

andy richards

Practically Family
Maybe this question is posted before...

How do you drink your whiskey?

When I visited friends in Scotland they took me to some bars and mills to taste all kinds of whiskey. They told me never to order "whiskey" in a bar, but just ask for a brand..

Also, all the whiskeys I've had came on room-temperature and, if desired, with a drop of water... This should give the aroma of the whiskey a chance to evaporate and thus smell it better.

What are your experiences?

Andy

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I always like Irish neat. Really good single malts and bourbons, same way. Otherwise - anything goes.

Here's a puzzler...If I were to make a Scots-Irish Coffee, would I use Scotch whisky? Or would I use bourbon, which is more closely Scots-Irish in origin? lol

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I always like Irish neat. Really good single malts and bourbons, same way. Otherwise - anything goes.

Here's a puzzler...If I were to make a Scots-Irish Coffee, would I use Scotch whisky? Or would I use bourbon, which is more closely Scots-Irish in origin? lol

Moonshine and chicory coffee.

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
I prefer the "peaty" malts, from the Islay distilleries, and Laphroaig in particular. I would agree, and always order a whisky at a bar, by brand name.

I like it served at room temperature, warmed slightly by your hand holding the glass, and add a small drop of water, to release the aroma and full taste.

Cheers all...

Danny O

subject101

One of the Regulars
Single malt from a small glass, no ice, and a cold beer side by side. Only from time to time, specially whenever I have the chance of tasting something good.

I think adding water or ice is totally wrong.

Last edited:

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
It's "Whisky" in Scotland and refers to Scotch. It's "Whiskey" over here. Figures, we deduct a letter from many of the mother tongue's words but add one to whisky.

For me, it's Bourbon, neat. Basil Hayden if they have it, otherwise Woodford Reserve or Maker's Mark. Amsterdam Liquor Store Bourbon (Our Own Brand) is one I've always wanted to try...

Likewise Tennessee Whiskey - I prefer George Dickel to Jack Daniel's but in either case, neat.

I stay away from blended Whiskies, so that lets out the Canadians. I've never developed a taste for Scotch.

Last edited:

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
With ice. Medium-large glass. Americans prefer their drinks cold, even hot chocolate. :D
I always order by brand.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Bourbon in a high ball glass, with a lot of ice and water. Then I nurse it for hours. Favorite right now would have to be Knob Creek. I've tried Basil Hayden, and I like it. It hasn't got as heavy a flavor as Knob Creek, so it really needs to be drunk close to straight. If there's nothing else, Maker's Mark is nothing to sneeze at. I've also tried Bulleit and like it a lot. I must say, I really hate it when they pour you a weak bourbon at a bar.

andy richards

Practically Family
Yesterday I tried both ways: Glenlivit with an ice cube and one without ( and a little drop of water)... I must say the glass with the ice in gave less aroma and taste, so I stick with whiskey on room temperature and a drop of water.
Cheers,
Andy

Franky

New in Town
It depends on the Pub....

1. Bourbon with a little ice in a tumbler.
2. Whisky from one of the Scottish Islands (Talisker is my personal favourite - from Skye), in a small glass in front of an open fire after a long day.

Dan'l

Practically Family
I like bourbon, Irish, and Scotch (pretty much in that order)
Something like Four Roses (reserve I believe) is good just to sip straight up. If I'm not in the mood for straight up then maybe a little ice or, I've grown to like a little club soda with my whiskey (I spell it with an "e"). I like the club soda because it doesn't have the caffeine or sugar that soft drinks have.
When I drink Scotch it's almost always with a touch of club soda.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy