Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you keep your ears warm?

CliffG

One of the Regulars
Many years ago an old cowboy told me how to keep my ears warm during the winter and still wear my stetson hat. We were moving cattle off of the Ridge down into the river valley the day before Christmas one year, my ears were about frozen solid, when we stopped for lunch I asked him how he kept from freezing his ears off, he smiled took his hat off and he had a section of pantyhose leg on his head, and then pulled it down over his ears and popped his Stetson back on with a big old grin. He said it was really a good idea because when some one came ridding up and you did not want them to know you had nylon stocking on your head you just push it up off of your ear with a finger and act like the cold don't bother you none.
That is what I do now, if I plan on being out side for a while.
How are you fellas keeping your ears from freezing if you are out all day in the below freezing weather and want to wear a felt hat?

Thanks,
Cliff

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I usually have two options that I exercise:

katmari_earmuffs.jpg

When it gets bad

cat_carA199_colors.jpg

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Like Blackthorn, I've found the 180 earwarmers very useful. Some days, though, you just have to break out the watch cap.

Mac

59Lark

Practically Family
in the movie fargo

in the movie fargo, i was sure in one police scene, saw a cop wearing a fedora and he had flags on it, but this was a really cold state. 59lark.:eek:

frussell

One Too Many
Problem

Only problem with wearing a piece of hosiery on your head (besides your friends catching you) is that most of the pantyhose type stuff is fairly slippery, and will help your hat fly off if the wind starts up. Spending many hours driving cattle, herding horses and taking city slickers on horseback tours of our local canyons, I've tried most everything. I always end up coming back to the old bandana standby. Nothing will scare a bunch of horses like a hat blown off a rider in front of them. Interestingly enough, I know several old cowboys who will wear pantyhose under their jeans when it's cold, or when they know they will be in the saddle all day. Says it keeps their jeans from giving them saddle sores! Frank

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
frussell said:
Interestingly enough, I know several old cowboys who will wear pantyhose under their jeans when it's cold, or when they know they will be in the saddle all day. Says it keeps their jeans from giving them saddle sores! Frank

....so you mean Brokeback mountain was based on a true story?

Djupis

One of the Regulars
frussell said:
Interestingly enough, I know several old cowboys who will wear pantyhose under their jeans when it's cold, or when they know they will be in the saddle all day. Says it keeps their jeans from giving them saddle sores! Frank

A lot of people used short stockings in the military under their socks to prevent chafing during long marches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy